mtbr member

CamelBak Fourteener 26

has anyone used this as their pack for riding. I want a bag that I can use for both mtb and camping/hiking. I think the MULE may be too small. I have seen the Alpine Explorer but it's too wide. It looks like the Fourteener is more narrow and a bit smaller. Which is why I'm interested in the pack for both mtb and hiking. Any thoughts?
    Mountain Biking is not a hobby. It's a lifestyle.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I use the older camelbak alpine. Compared to my mule it works better as the bladder gets near empty, as it has a stiff plastic insert that helps it keep its shape. I don't notice that its any wider than my mule. paid $50 from some online retailer even though I work at a shop.

empty its heavier than a mule, but I like being able to carry whatever I want. I typically much stuff, but since fitness is one of my goals, much stuff isn't necessarily too much stuff!

the old alpine looks a lot like the fourteener, but these are hard to compare just looking at internet pictures.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Formerly mtbnoobadam
    Check out the camelback octane 24. I use it for long rides and day hikes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I have to ditto the alpine explorer comment. Looking at both of them, they seem to be nominally the same width (the Fouteener, that is). The Octane 24 is not a bad choice, but knowing exactly what kind of payload you are looking to carry would help inform our and your opinions.

mtbr member
    look into the HAWG NV

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Camelbak Blowfish will do it

I don't know if Camelbak still makes the Blowfish but it sounds like that model would take care of your variety of needs. I used the Mule for years but was occasionally needing more pack room for epic rides or hikes. The Blowfish is so cool, just unzip the cargo area and it expands to hold extra stuff. 10 years and my second Blowfish later and I'm still impressed. Also just got the latest design Camelbak bladder (the Antidote) and it's great too.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Check out the Octane. I use one for all of my hiking, commuting and long days on the bike in the mountains. You have to pack it carefully since it's a lightweight minimalist pack but it's carrying capacity is phenomenal, undo the zipper and you can carry gaiters/rain gear and lunch with you easily.

Realistically I have 2 camelbaks that I use all the time. The Octane and the Lobo, it's great to just grab one and go.

mtbr member
    Realistically I have 2 camelbaks that I use all the time. The Octane and the Lobo, it's great to just grab one and go.[/QUOTE]

That's ultimately what I will end up doing but, I need to buy more gear for some hiking and camping first. So in the mean time I would like to use one bag. I have an old OGIO Baja that I got for real cheap through a friend but it's too small for long rides and wear and tear is starting to affect its performance.
    Mountain Biking is not a hobby. It's a lifestyle.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael L View Post
    I don't know if Camelbak still makes the Blowfish but it sounds like that model would take care of your variety of needs. I used the Mule for years but was occasionally needing more pack room for epic rides or hikes. The Blowfish is so cool, just unzip the cargo area and it expands to hold extra stuff. 10 years and my second Blowfish later and I'm still impressed. Also just got the latest design Camelbak bladder (the Antidote) and it's great too.
    They don't seem to make it anylonger. I do agree the blowfish is nice. I got one for my wife years ago. It is a nice "next up" pack.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    I use two different packs, one for most of my rides and than 1 for my daily commute (when I have to have all my change of clothes and extra daily stuff) which also becomes my "epic" pack.

The normal riding one is the Camelback HAWG as I can pack as light or heavy for most day rides. For the LONG hauls (Epics) and overnight camping/hiking things, I use one of the Vaude (Bike Alpine 30+) pack.

Here's a review:
    Vaude Alpine 30 + 5 Air Mountain Bike Hydration Pack Review - YouTube

The beauty of this pack is it's got a lot of different compartments that can store stuff of different needs. Low and in the lower pocket I keep the bike repair stuff. In another pocket, I keep my rain gear stuff. It also has a separate rain fly that's HUGE so it can cover stuff that is strapped to the outside of the pack.

Hope that helps, good luck with the search.