mtbr member
    Sep 2014

New question here. California - Hire of Proper MTB's

Hello,

Heading to California (SF, Sacramento, National Parks & surrounding area) for a Vacation in August and would like to take in some good trails / scenery.

I'm told by my other half I am not allowed to take one of my bikes; so I would like to hire proper mountain bikes from a bike shop while we are there, for the duration of our time in California. (decent XC type bike, preferably carbon / higher end) not the pieces of pig-iron that are easily available on the internet for hire.

Can anyone recommend any decent hire shops?

Thanks in advance

Chris

mtbr member
    Not sure of a good bike rental spot but if you find yourself near Santa cruz for a day.
    You can do a Santa Cruz Factory Demo.
    $40 per 4 hour demo.

In Lake Tahoe, there is Flume trail Mountain Bikes.

Im sure there are many others. Google is your friend.
    Norcal forum is also a great place to ask.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Contains no juice.
    Quote Originally Posted by LaloKera View Post
    Norcal forum is also a great place to ask.
    This fer sure. And before you post, put more info in your post or you will be mocked mercilessly.

Not sure where you'd find a bike you could rent for days/weeks at a time while you explore the state.
    At least you got a nice boat out of the deal.

DJ Trump

mtbr member
    Rentals are 30-100 a day, but there's a million places who will rent you a bike. Basically, if you call any local bike shop they can point you to a shop that rents if they don't.

Its crazy expensive to do it that way. Its easier and much, much cheaper to ship your bike to yourself.

always licking the glass

California - Hire of Proper MTB's

Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    Rentals are 30-100 a day, but there's a million places who will rent you a bike. Basically, if you call any local bike shop they can point you to a shop that rents if they don't.

Its crazy expensive to do it that way. Its easier and much, much cheaper to ship your bike to yourself.
    This. Ship your bike. Iím looking at some interstate travel. Iím going this route since flying my bike is ridiculous and I donít plan on renting.

Look at bikeflights.com.
    Guerrilla Gravity BAMF, Colorado Front Range

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Thanks Folks,

Yeah, I'm told I'm not allowed to take my own bike (despite having a proper travel case for it) as my wife doesn't want this turning into a biking holiday, and me spending every day with it.

I'll have a look at the Norcal forum, and post up more specifics about where we are going.

Cheers

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by gasguzzlingV8 View Post
    Thanks Folks,

Yeah, I'm told I'm not allowed to take my own bike (despite having a proper travel case for it) as my wife doesn't want this turning into a biking holiday, and me spending every day with it.

I'll have a look at the Norcal forum, and post up more specifics about where we are going.

Cheers
    Ship the bike, leave the wife at home.
    Bicycles don't have motors.

Contains no juice.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    Ship the bike, leave the wife at home.
    Budda bing!
    At least you got a nice boat out of the deal.

DJ Trump

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    ahhhhh, the dream!

always licking the glass
    Quote Originally Posted by gasguzzlingV8 View Post
    Thanks Folks,

Cheers
    So my experience is demoing a bike in the Bay Area is going to be at least $100/day.

If you can drive down to Santa Cruz and demo Ibis or Santa Cruz that will be your best bet.

Where will you be.
    Guerrilla Gravity BAMF, Colorado Front Range

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by stripes View Post

Where will you be.

We will be going to Santa Rosa, Up to Lake Tahoe, then down to Yosemite and across to the Morgan Hill, Santa Cruz area.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    There's good bike rentals in Santa Rosa (e.g. Trail House). Definately in South Lake Tahoe and Incline Village and probably in Tahoe City and Truckee (many options). No MTB in Yosemite. Definately in Santa Cruz (many options including the demo-from-the-manufacturer options). No clue about Morgan Hill, which isn't particularly close to Santa Cruz though I think a good number of Specializaed employees make the commute across the hill.

But if you want a bike for the *duration*, bring your own. If you need to hide it from your wife, ship it out using Bike Flights then you can ship it home the next day once she gets wind of you trying to spend all your time with the bike instead of her.

mtbr member
    Many bike shops will send you out with a demo bike for maybe less than a rental.

If you want to take a demo from any place in Santa Cruz, reserve well in advance.

Downieville is in your area of interest.