The Martian
    Jan 2007

California, Avoid Central Expressway??

It's been awhile since I've been around here, but I thought I'd try this as a long shot.

I'm interning in mountain view California for the summer (this means crappy walmart special bike instead of my baby that had to stay at home ). I'm looking for a way to get from Moffett Blv. (in mountain view) to Wolf Rd. (in sunnyvale) by bike so I can go rock climbing. I tried taking Middlefield to Central Expressway this afternoon and felt like I was taking my life into my own hands with the pathetic excuss for bike lanes that aren't really bike lanes and the high speed high volume traffic on Central (Middlefield was fine).

I'm hoping there is someone else in the area that can either a) tell me I'm being a wimp and Central is fine or b) tell me a good way to bypass it (I'm thinking going all the way down Evelyn, but I run out of bike lane once I hit Sunnyvale I think).

And as an aside I'm looking for a belay partner on the off chance anyone is in the area, climbs, and is interested.

velocipede technician
    Quote Originally Posted by CougarTrek
    It's been awhile since I've been around here, but I thought I'd try this as a long shot.

I'm interning in mountain view California for the summer (this means crappy walmart special bike instead of my baby that had to stay at home ). I'm looking for a way to get from Moffett Blv. (in mountain view) to Wolf Rd. (in sunnyvale) by bike so I can go rock climbing. I tried taking Middlefield to Central Expressway this afternoon and felt like I was taking my life into my own hands with the pathetic excuss for bike lanes that aren't really bike lanes and the high speed high volume traffic on Central (Middlefield was fine).

I'm hoping there is someone else in the area that can either a) tell me I'm being a wimp and Central is fine or b) tell me a good way to bypass it (I'm thinking going all the way down Evelyn, but I run out of bike lane once I hit Sunnyvale I think).

And as an aside I'm looking for a belay partner on the off chance anyone is in the area, climbs, and is interested.
    i ride central expressway all the time, never had a problem on that road. i have friends that wont go near it on a bike, its all up to your comfort level i guess.

i haven't been down eveyln in a while but a buddy told me they repainted it one lane each way with a big bike lane.

try askin on the Norcal forum
    looking for 20-21" P team

56-year-old teenager
    Aug 2006
    I ride Central Expressway a couple times a week - specifically the stretch from Moffett to Wolfe. The shoulder is plenty wide, crossing the ramps is the only sketchy part. Most times the drivers are pretty courteous and give me a wide berth.

Actually if you are trying to get to Planet Granite behind the Lowe's, you should get off Central at the Fair Oaks exit and continue straight down Arques, which is plenty safe for bikes.

Evelyn is a decent alternative, but the pavement's kinda rough in places, plus there's no bike lanes through downtown Sunnyvale.

The other alternative is to go Middlefield to the 237 frontage road to Maude, then right on Wolfe at the end of Maude.

The Martian
    Jan 2007
    Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I think where I had the big problems on Central were the intersections. I'm not used to commuting on a bike (you'd really be suicidal where I'm from in Ga) so not having a marked lane at the intersections with traffic going that fast wigged me out. Not seeing any other bikers and feeling slightly lost probably didn't help matters any either!

I'm going to test run Evelyn tomorrow and perhaps come back up central if I get the nerve (yup chuck, I was planning to get off/on at Arques if at all feasable. ie: stupid me didn't miss the road).

Then my only problem will be finding a belay partner