Thread: Cage Rocket

mtbr member
    May 2010

Cage Rocket

Has any one used one of these? How are they? Do they offer much storage room? Are they worth the 8 bucks that I found it for? Do they hold up well for mountain biking? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.cagerocket.com/product_info.htm
    GT Avalanche 3.0 Disc

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Anyone?
    GT Avalanche 3.0 Disc

mtbr member
    I've got one, tho I haven't used it in a while. It works fine, especially if you've got a water bottle cage you're not using. I kept emergency stuff in it - spare tube, levers, some tools, etc. I also kept a rag in there to keep the stuff from rattling around, which it will do otherwise. I don't see any big advantage to it over a seat bag, but no disadvantage either.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Any other opinions?
    GT Avalanche 3.0 Disc

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I'd just get a wedge pack, I only get one set of bottle bosses on my small frame so I don't want to waste it with something like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by ridelikeafatkid
    "MOMMY, I WANT TO RIDE LIKE THAT FAT KID!" true story.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I don't really mind using the bottle cage. I have a camelbak, thus not needing a bottle. and I don't do much night riding, thus not needing the area for a battery. Also as I mountain bike, I'm worried about the a wedge pack falling off. Ive yet to lose a water bottle..
    GT Avalanche 3.0 Disc

Ride'n Dirty
    I would constantly worry about loosing the thing along the way and not noticing it until it was to late. I would just rather put stuff in a backpack or my camelbak.
    I HATE WORK, WORK IS BAD, WORK = NO BIKE, NO BIKE = NO GOOD.

dirtbag
    Quote Originally Posted by Probie1Kenobi
    I would constantly worry about loosing the thing along the way and not noticing it until it was to late. I would just rather put stuff in a backpack or my camelbak.
    Same here. Many times I've discovered I've lost a water bottle at the end of a trail. Water bottles a cheap and replaceable. The only time I'd use one of the cage rockets is if I was just riding around town or on the road bike where there's less of a chance of the bottle popping out of the cage. Otherwise, it's a clever product for on bike storage when you don't want to lug around a camelbak when you don't have a handy jersey pocket. I think I'll pick one up for the commuter bike.
    Amolan

We get titles?
    Quote Originally Posted by greene36
    Also as I mountain bike, I'm worried about the a wedge pack falling off. Ive yet to lose a water bottle..
    You've got it backwards. I've lost waterbottles and I've seen countless waterbottles lost on the trail, but I've never seen nor heard of anybody losing a wedge pack.
    Quote Originally Posted by trogdor
    I think everyone who wears a helmit should carry around an old crank arm, then when you see someone without a helmit on, give them a good wack in the head. That'll teach them to flaut their helmit-less noggins out in public.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by greene36
    I don't really mind using the bottle cage. I have a camelbak, thus not needing a bottle. and I don't do much night riding, thus not needing the area for a battery. Also as I mountain bike, I'm worried about the a wedge pack falling off. Ive yet to lose a water bottle..

I suppose its possible to buy a wedge that will fall off but I don't think it's very likely. Mine has a big velcro strap that wraps around the seat post to secure the front and an even bigger velcro strap that goes through the seat rails and wraps around the pack body. It has been on thousands of miles of trails, though not in the last 10 years, and I never once feared that it would fall off, nor did it ever give any indication that it might.
    Quote Originally Posted by ridelikeafatkid
    "MOMMY, I WANT TO RIDE LIKE THAT FAT KID!" true story.

mtbr member
    I agree that it's much less likely you'd lose a seat bag than anything in a water bottle cage. Having said that, I never lost the cage rocket from the underside of my down tube. I should add that I had a little bungee securing it to the cage to keep it from rattling around on bumpy stuff, and this probably also saved it from falling out on occasion. I'd recommend doing same if you decide to use one.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.