mtbr member

Buying a Kinetic..Rock n' Roll?

Think I am going to bite the bullet and buy a trainer for the days when I can't get out.
    The Kurt Kinetics seem to have mass approval, so that is the route I am going.
    I have heard the Rock n' Roll feature is nice, and also that it's a gimmick.

Any guidance would be appreciated before I shell out the money.

Road Machine v Rock n' Roll ?
    With or without extra flywheel?

My legs want to get stronger!

My spelling is atroshus
    I like the kinetic, but hate the rock and roll version. It takes up too much floor space to suit me.

I just let one RIP
    I have the rock n roll and really like it. Well, as much as you can like riding a trainer. Worlds better than the magnetic Cycleops I had before it.

The rocking motion isn't huge, and I'm not sure it makes a huge difference from the Road Machine. But you can actually swing the bike underneath you some when you are out of the saddle as if you are sprinting or climbing. But I don't really rock the bike much back and forth when I'm actually riding out on the road; I tend to keep the bike in a neutral plane, even when standing and grunting up a climb. I feel like I loose forward momentum if I rock the bike (even though I've heard coaches actually recommend rocking the bike).

Anyway, definitely get the heavy extra flywheel. It makes the coast down much longer and so it's more realistic. I'd say the extra flywheel is more important than the rocking feature.

If you plan to take the trainer with you to events for warming up, etc, the rock n roll is definitely not the right one. Even taking the legs apart, it's not small and weighs a ton.
    A ride a day keeps the therapist away.