Contagious Xian

Buying a Crank Bros crown race - a unicorn?

I couldn't figure a better forum to post this in...

Bought a Crank Bros Iodine directset/headset a while ago. Would like to get another crown race so I can swap my forks out when the riding calls for it and to be able to mix things up. CB customer service told me to "wait until after Interbike and then my lbs can order one." Tried that, no luck - "unavailable" still. Went back to Crank Bros and tried to see if they'd be willing to send me one directly. Not.

Anybody have any suggestions how to get my hands on this circular piece of metal? I've checked jenson, pricepoint, all the others I could check with. None carry them.

I emailed Crank Bros customer service again today and will pray for a good response this week....

Until then...I'd appreciate any good advice. Thanks.

Stay thirsty my friends
    I have never seen crown races sold separetely, you will likely have to buy another headset.

mtbr member
    Call them and tell them you damaged or lost the one you had. Maybe that approach will work.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 4JawChuck
    I have never seen crown races sold separetely, you will likely have to buy another headset.
    Almost everyone sells crown races separately, except Crank Bros apparently.

I did this same this with my Cane Creek to easily switch between a rigid and susp fork. I would have been mad if I couldn't get a second crown race or a replacement

Contagious Xian
    Quote Originally Posted by 4JawChuck
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/sub/1...ts.aspx?s=1350

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    They will probably tell you to send the headset back for an entire replacement. Sounds frustrating.

Stay thirsty my friends
    Hmmm...thanks for the link, never seen them for sale individually up here? It would be cheaper for me to buy an entire headset if I included the shipping to Canada.

Lesson learned.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Crank Bros customer service is supposed to be legendary. They'll probably send you a box of new crown races and an extra headset just for good measure if you call them.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by maxpower47
    Crank Bros customer service is supposed to be legendary. They'll probably send you a box of new crown races and an extra headset just for good measure if you call them.
    In the OP he said DID call them. Sounds like extra crown races are just not available. They can not send what they do not have.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Sounds like extra crown races are just not available. They can not send what they do not have.
    If they don't have any laying around and haven't made them available to distributors I'd expect them to crack a box open and take apart a headset to keep a customer happy. I find it very hard to believe they can't find an extra race around their facility.
    CAMBr West
    Gives us a couple bucks and we'll give you some trails with sweet jumps and stuff.

I need a new name
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by maxpower47
    Yep... after the 2 screws that hold one side of my 5050XX pedals fell out their customer service sent me not the 2 screws that fell out but 4!! Too bad 3 of them were the wrong size.
    i ride bikes

TNC
    noMAD man
    Most crown races can be cut or slotted for easy removal and installation on another fork. Some are horrified by this method, but frankly most headsets function just fine with this application. I haven't seen the crown race and bearing interface on the lower cup of the CB, so I can't swear its race can be slotted. I've done this on several headsets, and it has never resulted in installation issues or the headset preload changing over time. Many headsets are even delivered with a slotted crown race.

squish is good
    Quote Originally Posted by TNC
    Most crown races can be cut or slotted for easy removal and installation on another fork. Some are horrified by this method, but frankly most headsets function just fine with this application. I haven't seen the crown race and bearing interface on the lower cup of the CB, so I can't swear its race can be slotted. I've done this on several headsets, and it has never resulted in installation issues or the headset preload changing over time. Many headsets are even delivered with a slotted crown race.
    Yup, all my bikes have slotted crown races on them now. Nothing wrong with it, I have an FSA headset with a slotted race on my Reign that's seen heavy use for the last 4 years and is in perfect working order.
    Bike good, work bad.

tardcore
    I needed extra race from CB and emailed them and they sold them to me. That was a couple months ago try emailing the. I may have an extra so pm me too.

Contagious Xian
    Finally got it, thanks for the advice, etc. $10 + $9 S&H (yikes). I would have to say my experience with CB "customer service" would rate a 2.5 on a 1 to 5 scale. Helpful yet not overly friendly.