mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Buying BikesDirect bike to strip for parts

Has anyone bought a bike from bikes direct just for the parts, then purchased a nicer frame to throw the grouppo on? How did that work out budget wise for you? I realize that its going to depend on what frame you buy (full sups, vs hardtail etc.) but it looks like a pretty good way to go.

Looks like you can get a decent hardtail/FS bike with x9 for around 1000-1500 with a decent fork and brakes. You could then throw down another 700-1000 bucks on an awesome frame, sell the bikes direct frame for maybe 100 bucks and come out with a pretty screamin bike.

Thoughts?

AZ
    banned
    Depends. If your looking to build a HT I'd look at Airborne for a complete that has a frame worthy of keeping. A FS ride is going to be a bit more complex. First consider that BD does not include full groups on most of their offerings. Second, wheels may or may not be what your looking for. Third, you have to buy an XL to ensure that the steerer length is long enough to work on the new frame. Fourth, crankset compatibility may or may not become an issue as well as seat post diameter. Fifth, the fork may or may not be an appropriate choice for a donor.

As you can see it requires very careful planning as there are many pitfalls to navigate. My two cents.

human dehumidifier
    Yeah that's how I built my Big Mama. I wouldn't do it again because I ended up replacing a lot of stuff anyway. The only benefit was I got the bike going quicker that way.
    But if you close your eyes it becomes so easy to see

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    Depends. If your looking to build a HT I'd look at Airborne for a complete that has a frame worthy of keeping. A FS ride is going to be a bit more complex. First consider that BD does not include full groups on most of their offerings. Second, wheels may or may not be what your looking for. Third, you have to buy an XL to ensure that the steerer length is long enough to work on the new frame. Fourth, crankset compatibility may or may not become an issue as well as seat post diameter. Fifth, the fork may or may not be an appropriate choice for a donor.

As you can see it requires very careful planning as there are many pitfalls to navigate. My two cents.
    Good points that you bring up. It may be better for my sanity to search for deals on parts rather than get a whole bunch of stuff from BD that may or may not work on the new frame.

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by wv_bob View Post
    Yeah that's how I built my Big Mama. I wouldn't do it again because I ended up replacing a lot of stuff anyway. The only benefit was I got the bike going quicker that way.
    This is good to know. Though I do have a track bike frame build planned and with the simplicity of fixed gear bikes it may end up a sensible idea but I will be much more thoughtful of the swap thanks to your advice.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

human dehumidifier
    FWIW another thing I over estimated was the resale value of a Motobecane frame. I probably should've kept it instead of selling because IIRC I didn't get much.
    But if you close your eyes it becomes so easy to see

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I had a carbon Orbea frame given to me. As a poor college student, I built it up using XT/XTR parts. Raced it that way for a year. The next winter I sold and bought parts to switch it to XO 1x10 and bought new wheels. Now I have a sub 20 lb 29er that I spent just over $2000 on and is bulletproof (took it on the double blacks at Keystone in CO this summer).

FWIW, I got $120 out of the frame.

mtbr member
    It's been suggested before, and problems (like AZ MTNS has mentioned) pointed out before. If you need a bike and decide to do that as part of a longer term plan (say over the course of 9 months to a year) it might not be a bad idea. I have a Moto X-9 and while I didn't buy the bike with that idea in mind, I'm toying with the idea now. Keep in mind though that while the frames themselves aren't great, they ain't bad either, and make for a decent bike. When I bought mine, I could have spent more and gotten a lot less.
    The ridiculousness of cycling clothes increase exponentially in relation to the distance from your bicycle.

Suckin wind like a boss
    I went just the opposite route. I bought a BD Moto 700HT this year, and as of now the only thing that hasnt been replaced is the fork and handlebars. Honestly I love the way the frame rides and handles, and now that I have upgraded basically everything, its miles ahead of where it was when I started.

NOW, however, I could go buy a CL frame and just swap everything over, and be set pretty nicely right off the bat- but I have no need to because my moto really rides as nice as I could expect- probably even better than I can push it.

I suppose if you had a frame to build up you *might* be able to swing an overall decent deal buy buying a BD bike and stripping it, but like AZ said it would be very circumstantial...
    If you arent bleeding, you arent riding hard enough.
    http://about.me/bigterry

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch3637 View Post
    I don't need sex. My life fvcks me daily.

Disabled Vet
    OP-no,but I've certainly given lotsa thought to just that over the years...may do it next year
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Did that very thing. I got an incredible deal on a Moto Ti fly 29 with the intent of stripping the parts and shedding the frame. After riding it a few times I fell in love with the bike to the point it is just about my favorite and could not be separated from me. I did upgrade some parts but if it broke now I would by the same bike tomorrow.