mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Burning Man Bike Race

I saw this story that at the "leave no trace" Burning Man festival, party goers left about 5,000 abandoned bikes in the desert.

My thought is we do a race using those abandoned bikes. It would a kind of Mad Max thing where you just pick an abandoned bike and push it to the starting line. It's 100 miles from Burning Man to the town of Wadsworth.

You'd obviously want to bring your own saddle, or have a way to clean the one that's on the bike as there's just no telling what horrors reside on it. But aside from the hippie-germs and dangers of riding 100 miles in the desert, what could go wrong?

Who's in?

Approximately 5,000 bikes apparently abandoned at 'leave no trace' Burning Man - SFGate

High Desert MTBer
    Quote Originally Posted by muddytire View Post

You'd obviously want to bring your own saddle, or have a way to clean the one that's on the bike as there's just no telling what horrors reside on it. But aside from the hippie-germs and dangers of riding 100 miles in the desert, what could go wrong?

Who's in?

Approximately 5,000 bikes apparently abandoned at 'leave no trace' Burning Man - SFGate
    There are no "hippie-germs" on these things. Burning Man attracts rich white kids who can afford to spend money on "once-only" steampunk clothes, and to leave usable bikes behind in the desert... it may have once been a "festival of the arts" but it sure ain't that any more.
    It's all Here. Now.

9 lives
    Hope the bikes are given to those in need
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

because GIANT
    Quote Originally Posted by rockerc View Post
    There are no "hippie-germs" on these things. Burning Man attracts rich white kids who can afford to spend money on "once-only" steampunk clothes, and to leave usable bikes behind in the desert... it may have once been a "festival of the arts" but it sure ain't that any more.
    believe me .... they all have the clap or tha herps....or worse
    "Eating Spam, and Oreos, and drinking Thunderbird, baby" -Baby Huey/James Ramey

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclelicious View Post
    Always a positive thought
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

Motion activated
    But who needs VD?
    Happiness is a warm 2 stroke.

mtbr member
    Every year in August on all the Craigslist locations in Norcal, all the Walmart bikes magically transform into "Burner bikes"

9 lives
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve71 View Post
    But who needs VD?
    Extra good karma if it shoots fire
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

I didn't do it
    Whatever happens with the race don't let Picard participate. He'll probably show up in his Speedo. Or worse yet - nude!
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted
    Remember, commas save lives

nimble biker
    where is burning woman? this is such discrimination. I want to see burning woman with skirt on.

One ring to mash them all
    Quote Originally Posted by Picard View Post
    where is burning woman? this is such discrimination. I want to see burning woman with skirt on.
    Please refer to post #8.

edit: not you 'licious
    ¯\(°_o)/¯

9 lives
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

Loves moped riders
    Aug 2013
    Typical helpful, constructive, sensible empathy from Canadia.

Come on, licious, this is the US we're talking about!

mtbr member
    I think that burning the bikes would be a reasonable solution.

Short-Change-Hero
    If you think that Burning Man is "all rich white kids" then you obviously havent been there in a while. Hell hang out at any of the local "healthfood" stores in Reno the few days prior and you will see what I am talking about. While the majority of participants has shifted to the "entitled" type of people you will find plenty of hippies out there. This becomes really sad as there are THOUSANDS of bikes that are left behind, by those people who are complaining about pollution, global warming, etc. yet will litter and let someone else clean up.

There are a couple of larger charities that go out every year with panel trucks and take as many bikes as possible but literally there are hundreds, if not thousands, of bikes left over after these charities have taken what they can. Really wish that the people could/would ticket people for littering (max fine) if they show up with bikes and leave them there (or somewhere on the road in-between there and Reno). Can't tell you how many cars I saw pulled over the weekend after that had signs saying "Bikes and Rack for sale $XX" all over Reno, Tahoe, Carson and the surrounding areas.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zowie View Post
    Typical helpful, constructive, sensible empathy from Canadia.

Come on, licious, this is the US we're talking about!
    She just can't help herself. "F*ck Cancer" is the only mean thing she's ever said.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by muddytire View Post
    I saw this story that at the "leave no trace" Burning Man festival, party goers left about 5,000 abandoned bikes in the desert.
    Maybe they should change the name to Burning Man Litterfest.

mtbr member
    This should be under "sad bikes" what a waste all the way around.
    2016 SC Heckler R build
    2014 All City Macho Man Disc
    Nashbar 29er (Rigid)

Giggity!

9 lives
    ^ done
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    AFAIK, and this was true when I lived in the SFO area and Reno, the BM organization is required to, and dutifully, cleans up all debris after the event, and there's lots of it. I presume this includes bikes. It's a festival, people pay to participate, and a significant portion of that goes to paying workers who clean up afterward. We like bikes, but lets face it, bikes, like anything else we use in society, eventually wind up in landfill, or some inconsequential proportion recycled.
    Do the math.

oh my TVC 15
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    AFAIK, and this was true when I lived in the SFO area and Reno, the BM organization is required to, and dutifully, cleans up all debris after the event, and there's lots of it. I presume this includes bikes. It's a festival, people pay to participate, and a significant portion of that goes to paying workers who clean up afterward. We like bikes, but lets face it, bikes, like anything else we use in society, eventually wind up in landfill, or some inconsequential proportion recycled.
    I don't get that either. Our landfill has a scrap metal recycling point where you could leave a bike to be recycled (we just dropped off an broken bed frame and some rusted out tractor parts) but folks will just leave that stuff at the curb and let the trash guy turn it into landfill fill. (Probably a redundant use of the word fill).
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

mtbr member
    In their defense,a friend who is a Burner argued that bikes tend to wander off there. Someone all spun out could "borrow" your bike then forget it back at the orgy tent for you to never see again.

heaven help me
    Oct 2005
    Gotta' love BM. Trees are logged, milled and burned in a huge fire, releasing more carbon. and it's done in the name of "art", which makes ok.

mtbr member
    ^ done
    2016 SC Heckler R build
    2014 All City Macho Man Disc
    Nashbar 29er (Rigid)

Giggity!

That guy
    This thread needs pics!
    American Idle

9 lives
    If you don't mind the bikes being covered with the playa dust, and naked hippy ass that was all over the seats... you can get them for free:

Abandoned at Burning Man, bicycles now head for Houston and the Caribbean

Burning Man Bike Race-_97949572_bikepile.jpg
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

oh my TVC 15
    Doubt anything will remain dusty very long in the Caribbean this fall. I keep thinking, you're down in Barbuda and you get a bike from there. First thing you're gonna do is kick the thing because it came needing a repair and you don't even have a vice grip after the storm destroyed your home.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    And alkaline sand/dust is in all the bearings, add in salt spray, awesome.

Beer Please! SuperModerator
    I never heard about all these bikes being left behind. I am kinda surprised more groups don't make plans to go out there on the day the festival ends and collect bikes. Seems like one could even re-sell them and make a profit off the trip. I wonder if there are ever any real gems left behind? In that article the lady found a decent Trek Kids bike, just needed some TLC.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

Know these before you post:
    MTBR Forum Posting Rules
    e-bike sub-forum rules

That guy
    American Idle

Short-Change-Hero
    From what I understand from a neighbor that works it every year is that the bikes ARE all eventually picked up. BLM mandate states they are supposed to be evacuated/removed from the land within X days of the end of the festival. While initially it was not that large of a problem, now that BM has become much larger and more along the lines of a Coachella type festival, they are finding that more and more is being left behind.

The likelihood of finding a good/excellent bike is pretty slim I would assume. Most people know exactly what is going to happen to the bikes when headed there (lots and lots of alkaline dust in EVERYTHING, or be left behind) so they take the cheapest bikes possible. And yes @jmmUT is correct, lots of bikes get "borrowed" and left elsewhere. Bad part is there are a lot of people that are just turning it into a "dump" (literally) for whatever they do not feel like carting back with them. No such thing as "pack it in, pack it out" mentality for a large majority of these people.