mtbr member

Broken Spoke vs Stans Yellow Tape =Flat

I was JRL I hear a bang and then hiss. I immediately thought that I had hit a rock, BAD and ripped the side wall of my tire. When I roll to a stop I see that my rear tire is flat AND I broke a spoke on the rear drive side. It turns out that the bang was the failure of the SAPIM CX-Ray spoke and the flat was from the nipple and attached part of the spoke punching through Stan's Yellow Tape on my Stan's Crest rims.

I have not broken a spoke on any of my tubeless wheels since I started using it ~10 years ago, so I have never had this happen and I wanted to know if this is common.

A old school rim strip is too robust to let this happen, so it is unique to Stans Yellow Tape applications.

The CX-Ray spoke looks like it was necking down where it transitions from round to bladed. I have never had any of the DT spokes fail on me on the wheels that I have built.

mtbr member
    I had this exact thing happen to me. It's a pain because the stans sealant won't seal the split put into the rim tape from the spoke.

mtbr member
    Yes, I too have seen this happen with other people's wheels with the Stan's strips. I wouldn't say that it's that bad because I've seen a lot of broken spokes that haven't had this happen (Stan's or other set up). I suppose this goes into the category of how often does it happen and what are the consequences? Kind of a bummer though, for sure.

I've now turned my bikes into ghetto tubeless. Cheaper and I've always liked schrader valves for the simple fact that I can run schrader or presta tube and fill anywhere without worrying about having the wrong pump or not having the adapter. Just my personal preference. I've lost a bunch of spokes over the months/years but still haven't had a flat like that. Phew, knock on wood, hope that doesn't mean I'm next. To me, more of a pain when I get home I have to replace the spoke. On many occasions, the spoke snapped right at the nipple. That meant removing the tire, the strip and cutting a small hole to replace the spoke and nipple.

Sorry to hear of your misfortunes...............

mtbr member
    The benefits of Stans completely out weight any negatives. Broken spokes are very rare with good spokes. I just thought this double failure was interesting since it took 10 years for me to discover it.