mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Broken Frame, I just wanna ride again!

Recently i just bought a specialized enduro expert off of craigslist. It was a great bike and I loved every revolution of riding it. One day while riding, my drivetrain got stuck, and i literally could not push or budge the pedals and crank the drivetrain forward. So i took it right then to my LBS and they said an incorrect bottom bracket cap (bearing cap i believe) was installed. It eventually wore the threads on the frame down enough to the point where it jammed my drivetrain. The guys at the shop were real nice and tried to chase the threads and salvage my frame, but it was a no go. They tried telling me about some frame crash replacement from specialized or that i should sell my bike as a parts bike. Im not sure which one i should do, sell the bike i loved and hope i get enough money for a new one, or find a decently cheap frame and switch frames out. All I wanna do is ride! I dont need a expensive bike i just wanna ride.

Thanks!

Fat-tired Roadie
    First: paragraph breaks!

Sorry.

OK, so you've got two major options. You can keep trying to salvage the frame you've got, or you can get a different frame. Here's an inexpensive BB for a damaged shell.
    Sunlite Repair bottom bracket, 68mm width - 127.5mm spindle
    Here's a more expensive one.
    Grand Cru Threadless Bottom Bracket - Bottom Brackets - Components

Based on the description and the makers, I'd have a bit more faith in the Grand Cru. Either way, you then choose a crank based on your BB. It's a little bit of putting the cart before the horse, but you're doing both to keep riding the frame you've got, so really it's putting the baby horse on the cart being pulled by the big horse. Or something. Full disclosure: last time I had a frame that didn't have bottom bracket threading I was happy about, I dumpstered it. But it was a department store frame, the Grand Cru BB wasn't out yet, and I didn't know about the Sunlite one.

Otherwise, get a new frame. If you're on a limited budget, a long-travel hardtail could be the way to do it. On-one makes some. So does Transition, I think. There are a few companies doing them. They have a bit of a following. I'd want to match the new frame to my existing fork. Sort of putting the cart before the horse again except that I assume if you bought an Enduro, you wanted an AM/FR attitude, and besides, forks are as expensive, or more so, as metal hardtail frames. Get the head tube specs right.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    You might as well check out the crash replacement offer. You don't have to take it.

Warrior's Society
    Quote Originally Posted by Pisgah View Post
    You might as well check out the crash replacement offer. You don't have to take it.

He bought it used off Craigslist......doubt they will crash replace to non-original owner.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

duh
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikej View Post
    He bought it used off Craigslist......doubt they will crash replace to non-original owner.
    So don't tell specialized you bought it off CL, just tell them you lost your receipt.

mtbr member
    What year is the frame?
    <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

'Tis but a scratch
    Quote Originally Posted by deke505 View Post
    So don't tell specialized you bought it off CL, just tell them you lost your receipt.
    They may not even ask. These "programs" are profitable arrangements for the bike companies. I agree that you should at least have the LBS check into it to see the cost of this option. Especially since you commented how happy you have been with the bike to this point. Obviously you'll need to solve the BB problem on the new frame too. So, ask the LBS for a complete quote to get the frame, solve that problem and whatever else you expect of them (i.e. move all your components).

FWIW, I had some pretty good success with a frame upgrade "program" from Giant and I had bought the bike on CL. The person I bought it from was a friendly fella that at least told me when and where he bought it. But, the LBS nor Giant never asked me for receipts once.

Good luck!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Thanks All!

The LBS just called back today and said specialized is willing to give me a 2011 specialized camber with new forks, for 645 dollars. A great deal for buying the original bike of craigslist. However, for the love of my old frame, and for cost reasons, i'm going to try the cheaper way with a threadless bottom bracket.

Seems like a little a bit of risk if it doesnt fix it, but its my frame ive been riding with and i love it. Also its good to know that specialized Is willing to reduce the price of a 2011 frame for a 2001 frame not owned by the original owner.

Thanks guys!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Just keep in mind any bike you get will be a temporary item. Sooner or later it will break in some fashion and need to be replaced just like your refrigerator, car, roof on your house or anything you own.
    2007 Cdale Caffeine 29er Lefty.
    "Your not going to shove you're proper grammer down are throats!!"

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by ajpx9 View Post
    The LBS just called back today and said specialized is willing to give me a 2011 specialized camber with new forks, for 645 dollars.
    Take 'em up on it!!!