mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Broken Frame GT IDXC 1.0

[SIZE=4]I think I am in the market for a new frame? I love this bike, but look what happened! I don't do any crazy jumps, nothing over 2 or 3 feet. I've done drops on trails that are about 2 or 3 feet. That shouldn't have caused this? Should it? I'm 5'9" 195lbs. Am I too heavy for this frame? That is the only thing I can think of, unless I just got a defective frame. I have it at the bike shop hoping to get a replacement frame. I'm wondering if I should be considering another frame? Like an Avent? Any Ideas?
    [/SIZE]

just along for the ride
    Bad design no doubt, hardly any material there, I'd say get it warennteed and off to ebay, at 195 and riding trails aggressively get a heavier bike that's overbuilt and not underbuilt, good luck!

"El Whatever"
    Agreed. Warranty ans sell. Or if you have a nice relationship with your GT dealer they might even let you upgrade to a Ruckus for little money. Give it a try.
    Check my Site

mtbr "member"

Maybe not the right bike for you.

Quote Originally Posted by GODLIKE
    [SIZE=4]I think I am in the market for a new frame? I love this bike, but look what happened! I don't do any crazy jumps, nothing over 2 or 3 feet. I've done drops on trails that are about 2 or 3 feet. That shouldn't have caused this? Should it? I'm 5'9" 195lbs. Am I too heavy for this frame? That is the only thing I can think of, unless I just got a defective frame. I have it at the bike shop hoping to get a replacement frame. I'm wondering if I should be considering another frame? Like an Avent? Any Ideas?
    [/SIZE]

bit on the heavy side at 195. I'm 200 lbs. And add a 2-3 foot drop on a light XC frame and that may have caused the failure. See if they'll upgrade you to an Idrive 5. It's a bit burlier and has an extra inch of travel. there's about 3 times the amount of metal on the ID5 in that area vs. the IDXC. Made for the 2-3 foot drops. My ID 5 is good so far even after a bit of abuse.

A rukus would be nice too as stated above. but that's a 6 inch travel bike, may not be the best pedaller for trail riding.

I'm pretty sure GT has a good warrantee dept though.

REEK

mtbr member
    [SIZE=65]I'd go for a new frame personaly[/SIZE]