Thread: Broken crank

mtbr member
    Mar 2018

Broken crank

I'm a newbie. My buddy let me borrow his bike, 2010 Giant XTC 29er 2. I tried to change out the pedals and stripped the right crank arm. I like the bike and I'm probably just going to buy it from him now.

Would it bet better to try to find and replace the crankset with the original? It's a Truvativ Isoflow 3.0. or would it be better to upgrade to something different for a crank, or a larger group of parts? Is this bike worth messing with?

Mr. Buck E. Fikes
    Fine bike if it fits your bill for riding. If it were mine, I'd pitch the entire crankset and BB and throw something like a RaceFace Aeffect cinch and make it a 1x drivetrain for a reasonable dollar amount. I did just see a new crankset with 3x chainrings for $63 though. I just wouldn't go with gears up front and that bike would lose some serious weight by making that change. My .02.

Bicycles aren't motorized
    Heli-coil it.
    Quote Originally Posted by me;
    Of all the paths you take in life, make sure that most of them are dirt.
    Make
    America
    Gravel
    Again

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Might as well convert to 1x, if you ask me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by MissesAlot View Post
    I'm a newbie. My buddy let me borrow his bike, 2010 Giant XTC 29er 2. I tried to change out the pedals and stripped the right crank arm. I like the bike and I'm probably just going to buy it from him now.

Would it bet better to try to find and replace the crankset with the original? It's a Truvativ Isoflow 3.0. or would it be better to upgrade to something different for a crank, or a larger group of parts? Is this bike worth messing with?
    https://www.bikepedia.com/Quickbike/...spx?item=80003

Not sure how much your buddy wants for it, but

I wouldn't throw a ton at it going 1X if you're just getting into the sport. One of my favorite go-to bikes is a similar era 3x9 converted to a 2x9 with a bash guard since I never used the big ring anyway. I'd look for a good deal on a 2X crankset and ride... just need to adjust the front derailleur for the narrower travel.

For example: Shimano Crankset FC-M615 175X38-24 W/Bb Black | Cranksets | Cranksets | Components | Bikewagon.com

Also if you're a shorter guy, you might also take the chance to go to shorter crankarms than the standard 175mm. One of my pet peeves is 175mm cranks on M and especially S bikes.
    --------------

[WTB] 1987 Cannondale SM800, 20", Pink with airbrushed graphics.

mtbr member
    What does your buddy want?
    Stick around if you're housebroken...

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    I told him I'd give him a couple hundred for the bike, maybe 150. I'm about 6' tall, it's a large frame.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    This is another, the bike shop could fix it, most well stocked repair shops should have the thread repair inserts, but is it worth it? The labor to do could out weIgh the cost of replacing with comparable quality parts. It wont take them long, its not complicated, but you do need to make sure you drill out and retap straight. And left side is left hand thread.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    It's the right side

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Putting in a helicoil is very simple as long as you have a drill and the right size bit. If you don't have a thread tap set you can find helicoil kits that come with the drill bit and tap. Just make sure you get the right size/thread pitch.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I told him I'd give him a couple hundred for the bike, maybe 150. I'm about 6' tall, it's a large frame.
    Maybe fair... Maybe not. Depends on how your buddy maintained it, how many miles, what kind of miles, upgrades etc.

Post up some detailed pics and history, and I'm sure you'll get good advice.
    --------------

[WTB] 1987 Cannondale SM800, 20", Pink with airbrushed graphics.

mtbr member

Tell him $50 is the best you can do because the crank is all jacked up
    I brake for stinkbugs

Nothing seems to kill me
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    Tell him $50 is the best you can do because the crank is all jacked up
    LOL..Thanks for the Friday morning giggle..
    I choose to live and to lie..kill and to give and to die..learn and love and to do what it takes to step through. MJK

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    i wouldn't call this bike well maintained, but not abused either. He used it for a couple of long youth rides across a few states, odd i know, but very little if any actual mountain biking. It was more dirty than anything, which I've taken care of. The shifters and brakes work well. I have been in the market for a hardtail in the 1500-2k price range for general fitness riding and some trail use if i ever get time, was looking at a chameleon. While this isn't going to be as cool as that would have been, I am wondering if for a couple hundred bucks it will serve the purpose and further inform my next bike purchase. Both sets of tires are in good shape, and the frame has not cracks or signs of corrosion/damage. Cables are all working and in good shape. Saddle needs replaced. I'll post up a few pics when i get home.