Gun
    mtbr member
    Jun 2016

Broke hip - hip protection

Hello:

Last Friday I broke my hip mountain biking. I had three screws installed to stabilize my hip until it heals. I am non weight bearing for 6 weeks and another 6 weeks to become fully weight bearing.

If I go back to Mountain biking, I will want to wear hip protection. What hip protection would you recommend I look at?

I am having difficulty with this, but want to be positive and by planning will help me mentally.

Thanks,
    Gun

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

jcd's best friend
    This might help some:
    padded shorts for hip protection
    Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post
    No one ever told me to go spend $1500.00 on a bike.
    Quote Originally Posted by Battery View Post
    Go spend $1500 on a bike! Do it now!

mtbr member
    I went down hard on my hip once. I didn't break it but to say the least it was no fun, I did shop around for protection and bought some padded shorts but they kind of sucked so I never wore them. It's kind of a distant memory now but I'll never forget that corner I went down on and try (but generally fail) to ride accordingly.

GL and get back on that horse asap!
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Banged my hips hard riding clipless. Have not riding flats.
    Do the math.

Gun
    mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Battery - Thanks for the link. That tread was created over 7 years ago. I want to be sure I am getting current information in case there are newer protectors on the market.

JB Weld - I 100% agree I need to recover and get back on the bike. I am in lots of pain now and hope I will be able to ride in the future. I have roughly 11 more weeks until I can put my weight on my hip. So things seem depressing for now.

Thanks,
    Gun

mtbr member
    Sorry about your wreck. I'm glad you asked the question because I took a bad spill a while back too but was luckier than you with respect to severity of injuries. I went to flats and a better helmet. I feel a lot more confident but I am still thinking about pads too.

mtbr member
    I FORGOT TO SAY: keep your chin up. Being injured sucks, but keep positive. You'll get there. Do your PT like it's a second job

Gun
    mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Iliketexmex:

Thanks for the posts. I may consider knees and elbow pads too.

I am just going to be riding for fun. A ride that ends in the ER is not a fun ride.

mtbr member
    https://www.competitivecyclist.com/p...NhdDEwMDMwMQ==

I would look at something like these. Ive heard good things about them, but never used them myself.

Hope you have a fast recovery
    2008 BMC Fourstroke 19-559 ISO (RIP in peace)
    2017 BMC Speedfox 25-622 ISO
    2017 Salsa Timberjack 40-584 ISO

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Hi,

I have shorts from POC, they are called Hip VDB 2.0. They are not really hindering, but on long uphills you'll obviously sweat a lot underneath. I now use them only a couple of times per year when there is lift access. Bought them when I was still riding clipped in and now do not feel the need anymore with flats, so I'd also recommend making that switch in case you do not ride flats already.

A friend of mine has some naked pads, which he carries up in a backpack and then stuffs into the sides of his normal cycling underwear. Seems to work well for him.

Wish you all the best with your recovery!

Gun
    mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    the-ninth:

Thanks for your input on the POC shorts. I think I see a pair in my future.

I am riding flats. I have never ridden clipped in.

Thanks,
    Gun

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Hi Gun,

I came across your thread as I am currently looking for Hip Protection. I fractured my femoral neck (Hip) last October 20th, and it was repaired with three screws too! I've been back road cycling since December 8th, and PT twice a week. Haven't been back on the mtb yet, but def want some hip protection, for once spring rolls around. Which pads did you purchase, and how do you like them? Any recommendations?

Hope you're all healed up and have been back to normal, enjoying mtb'ing!

Cheers

mtbr member
    I fractured my neck in 2014 and was back on the bike in 8 weeks. I made a mental note to never crash on my head again. I switched to flats (not because of my neck but for extended hike a bike ease) and that has helped my crashing a great deal. When I sense a crash coming, I push away from the bike and land on my feet 98% of the time. Pretty good odds of not hurting yourself when you stay upright
    2018 Intense Tracer
    2017 Intense Primer
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010

Gun
    mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Willstylez View Post
    Hi Gun,

I came across your thread as I am currently looking for Hip Protection. I fractured my femoral neck (Hip) last October 20th, and it was repaired with three screws too! I've been back road cycling since December 8th, and PT twice a week. Haven't been back on the mtb yet, but def want some hip protection, for once spring rolls around. Which pads did you purchase, and how do you like them? Any recommendations?

Hope you're all healed up and have been back to normal, enjoying mtb'ing!

Cheers
    Thanks for the reply. I am sorry to hear about your accident. I actually decided that hip pads may not have prevented my femur bone from breaking so I have not purchased any.

I have been riding a decent amount, but not as much as I like and I am a little more careful on the bike.

Thanks,
    Gun

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Yep, I seriously doubt any pad that was rideable would actually stop a break in a serious off. Might save some bruising in a moderate off, that probably wouldn't be enough to break bones anyway