mtbr member
    Jan 2007

BREWS-4-BIKES Event May 18th in San Francisco

Hello Mountain Bike Community

SF Urban Riders is hosting the BREWS-4-BIKES Event on Saturday May 18th to raise funding for the McLaren Bike Park project.... and we need your help drinking beer. Our goal is to build the McLaren Bike Park the best way we know... One Beer at a time!!

With your support (Socializing, Drinking & Eating) SF Urban Riders can raise a much needed $5,000 on this special afternoon.

BREWS-4-BIKES
    Date: Saturday May 18th, 2013
    Time: 11am - 5pm
    Where: SOMA Streat Food Park 428 11th Street San Francisco, CA.
    Cost: $30 per adult participant
    (Includes: Unlimited Beer Samples, Raffle Ticket, and a Donation to SFUR)

REGISTER ON-LINE AT EVENTBRITE: Brews-4-Bikes (Benefit for SFUR) - Eventbrite

Alaskan Brewing Company has generously offered to donate beer in support of SF Urban Riders! All Food Truck kitchens will be cooking dishes featuring Alaskan Beers in the recipe, which will deliver something unique for the daily menu.

Beer On Tap:

Alaskan Amber Ale
    White Ale
    Summer Kolsch
    Freeride APA
    Bitter Billiken ESB
    Black IPA
    Hopothermia DIPA
    Oatmeal Stout
    Select Pilot Series releases
    REGISTER On-Line at Eventbrite: Brews-4-Bikes (Benefit for SFUR) - Eventbrite

VOLUNTEER Help welcome: https://www.facebook.com/events/233322670144141/

Name:  Specialized P24.small.png
Views: 170
Size:  38.5 KB

RAFFLE ITEMS:

Specialized P24 Bike
    Pivot ‘Point’ Frame
    Chrome Gear
    BeatBrand Fashion
    Sports Basement Gift Certificates
    McLaren Bike Park T-Shirts
    Alaskan Brewing Surprises
    OTHER ACTIVITIES:

McLaren Bike Park Display
    Map of the SF MTB Festival Course
    Complimentary Raffle Ticket (w/ Paid Admission)
    Fresh Music
    New and old friends to share bike adventures… and plan new ones!
    WHAT TO KNOW:

Plenty of Bike parking in area (racks, poles, etc).

Vehicle parking nearby on street and paid lots.

All ages welcome. Streat Food Park serves food and is family friendly.

Raffle with take place between 3-4pm.

Adult Participant Ticket is good for Alaskan Beer ONLY. Food is a la carte.

Dress in Layers, city weather is unpredictable.

REGISTER On-Line at Eventbrite: Brews-4-Bikes (Benefit for SFUR) - Eventbrite

VOLUNTEER Help welcome: https://www.facebook.com/events/233322670144141/

Attached is the Event Flyer to share.

Thanks you for your continued support for SF Urban Riders!

BREWS-4-BIKES Event May 18th in San Francisco-urbanrider11x17_2.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    what is your organization's position on the clear cutting of mt sutro and mt davidson? Apparently you are in bed with some bad people

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Do not believe everything you hear until you research the facts yourself!

What you have is a is a classic example of a local group (Save Sutro... not to be confused with Sutro Stewards)) mis-interpretting the UCSF communications, and running wild with a well organized NIMBY campaign.

That is not to say a huge mega-industrial entity like UCSF is faultless... they have a miserable track record on many things and it makes them an easy target for criticism.

In the case of Mount Sutro.... all users are thrilled with the 'new' trail system, but most critics forget that the results came from having a management plan with clear goals. That was supported with over 25,000 hours of hard work from community volunteerism.

I find it difficult that anyone would be against a sensible management plan moving forward to care for an aging eucalyptus forest, and maintain the amazingly popular trail system thousands of people enjoy regularly.

But thats me... I hang with bad people.... and I like to drink beer.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by BigWheel28 View Post
    In the case of Mount Sutro.... all users are thrilled with the 'new' trail system, but most critics forget that the results came from having a management plan with clear goals.
    I find it difficult that anyone would be against a sensible management plan moving forward to care for an aging eucalyptus forest.

The ucsf plan calls for 90% of the forest to be felled with intense use of herbicides for years to come. It's in the DIER, the facts are the facts. It's a unique place as the trees capture abundant moisture which in turn supports wild life. You cut the trees and poison the undergrowth and you get something entirely different from what's there now. So you are sadly misinformed if you think a "sensible management plan" is wholesale clear cutting and and wonton destruction. Yes the trails are great but they don't mean much if it's a dried out sanitized wasteland.

BREWS-4-BIKES Event May 18th in San Francisco-forget-me-nots-2.jpg
    the native species pilot garden at the top, not so nice, that's what's in store for all of it.Name:  native-garden-2.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  46.0 KB

Bro
    Where I do my thinking
    Eucalyptus is an invasive plant in the SF Bay Area (and everywhere else except Australia), and the tree's oils are very flammable, especially when they're in such a high concentration. In their native Australia, there's a lot of empty space so it doesn't affect people so much if a tree goes up in flames. The same can't be said of the San Francisco peninsula.

Additionally, UCSF owns the land. Would you start fussing because your neighbor decided to clear some brush from his backyard, on his property?
    I've made some bad decisions like taking the gears off my bike. So here's the warning: Do not as I say, nor as I do.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by natrat View Post
    The ucsf plan calls for 90% of the forest to be felled with intense use of herbicides for years to come. It's in the DIER, the facts are the facts. It's a unique place as the trees capture abundant moisture which in turn supports wild life. You cut the trees and poison the undergrowth and you get something entirely different from what's there now. So you are sadly misinformed if you think a "sensible management plan" is wholesale clear cutting and and wonton destruction. Yes the trails are great but they don't mean much if it's a dried out sanitized wasteland.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	forget-me-nots-2.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	109.4 KB 
ID:	793278
    the native species pilot garden at the top, not so nice, that's what's in store for all of it.Name:  native-garden-2.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  46.0 KB
    I go to planning meetings and talk to real people... I am informed.

Delighted to have closet wierdos like yourself stay away from my events and not support SFUR.
    The community will also look well past you when they think of the wonderful work undertaken to rehabilitate what was a useless, overgrown forest with no trail access.

By The way- the green you seem to like is African Cape Ivy, Himalyan Blackberry, Eucalytpus (Australia) and Forget Me Not flowers ( State Flower of Alaska).

Hope you at least knew that.

cheers