try anything on a bike

Breathable hydration pack

Roughy now I ride with a Camelback Rogue. It's small, light, lets me carry the basics (multi tool, master link, sunglasses, a snack, pump and cell phone and plenty of H2O. The problem is my Evil Uprising only has mounts on the bottom of the downtube. Not only is it impractical to reach down there on a slow climb, but it gets super dirty. So looking for a new pack to allow me to get better ventilation under the pack so my back doesn't get as sweaty. Any suggestions? I have even thought of trying out a fanny pack with bladder, but no idea where to start.

Help, my back is gross!

And because we love pictures.
    The most freeride like fat bike I could make with available parts...

mtbr member
    Dueter, Osprey, Dakine, and a few others have a system to keep the bag suspended off your back. I have a Dueter RaceXAir, and it uses an internal frame and mesh hammock to suspend it off your back and let air flow between you and the bag. I love it. It's super light weight, and comfortable fit. It works as advertised, and is an improvement cooling performance, but it is still hotter than having nothing there.

I don't care for the fanny pack solution. Once you have it filled with enough water, it flops, and bounces around too much. Or you have to cinch it down so tight that it's uncomfortable.

That makes me smart
    Water filter?

Nice day for a ride..... Moderator
    I love my Wingnut. Sits low and keeps your back cool. I've got the Hyper 3.0 but the 2.5 will keep you even cooler. Its worth a look.

The website is having issues right now, try sending an email to them.

Wingnut Gear | Whistle Buckle ? Always there, always handy.
    Bikin' Bric's Bike Blog

2012 Norco CCX3
    2014 Nashbar Fat Bike
    2016 RSD Catalyst 700+
    2016 RSD Sergeant

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    try this:
    Source Hipster Hydration Belt - Reviews, Comparisons, Specs - Mountain Bike Hydration Packs - Vital MTB

good review, I may get one too someday. it is fanny pack with shoulder harness.

My arm hurts a little
    Smaller/cooler then a CB Rogue? I dunno man thats tuff. Ogio erzberg 70 is a little more meshy. But any of those small 70 backs sit right in the middle of the back.
    Hardtail downhill
    https://youtu.be/sXhWDoz7_CM
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    tresspassing, thievery and poaching is all part of a DH'ers life

mtbr member
    I'm using Camelbak MULE NV. I'm quite comfortable on it in a 37C 98% humidity riding (51C heat index). I find this pack quite useful. I use it on family trips, going to the gym, anything that's outdoor related. Just for the sake of testing, it can fit my laptop with other EDCs even if the bladder is full.

IMO hydration packs are like helmets. Give it a test fit first before getting one. A pack that comfortable for one rider may not be true for the other.
    Canfield Yelli Screamy

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    +1 on the bags that keep the load suspended off your back that d365 mentions above.

<can stop reading now, but some bonus babbling below>

In addition to the inherent ventilation, another great aspects of this type of pack is that the fit does not change with the size/fullness of the bladder -> compare that to something like a CamelBak whose shape/fit becomes dominated by a full 3 liter bladder. I do think the suspension adds a bit to the empty weight, but totally worth it.

For specific models, I have the Deuter RaceXAir as well. Has been my go-to pack for ~6 years now -> super comfortable with the mesh back and shoulder straps and is holding up very well. Would definitely recommend this model as it can hold up to 100oz/3l bladder plus tools, emergency layers, etc. for longish rides, yet still more comfortable than a 70oz/2l non-suspended pack for quick loops in hot weather.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I was talked into buying the Dakine bag with 3L bladder and was intrigued by the system keeping it off my back. It's a very good quality bag but ended up not being what I was after. It was far to big for my regular rides and moved around far too much on the descents. I ended up buying a USWE F3 which I had originally intended and it's perfect. I am still going to use the Dakine for long 50km+ rides though.

MTB B'dos
    I'll get back to you on this, but recently got a HAWG NV for rides where I need to carry more stuff, regular pack is a normal MULE and the NV design really does look like it'll work well to keep my back cool and let air flow through. Hoping it does this and helps better support the load, as pack weight I'm guessing could be between 20-30lbs.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    I just bought a Camelbak KUDU 12, sight unseen. I'll let you know how it's ventilation is when it arrives in the mail. I'm the same way with sweating if there's anything aside from a shirt in contact with my back, even on easy hikes. I haven't had a backpack that makes noticeable difference for me, so I usually just deal with it... :/
    '16 Kona Honzo AL/DL

mtbr member
    I've had a Hawg NV for about a season now. Great pack, plenty of room. Probably not as hot as my Mule was, but obviously not as cool as no pack would be. Just part of the deal -- I bring a clean t-shirt to put on after the ride, no problem.
    '11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I have yet to see a pack that doesn't soak your back after a long hot day of riding.

Keep on Rockin...
    Here's a thought....

Do you really need a pack on most rides?

95% of my rides are two hours or less. So, for those rides I carry no water. Two hex keys and tube/CO2 are strapped to the bike.

I carry no tools or water in my pockets.

I hate sweaty back.

try anything on a bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Miker J View Post
    Here's a thought....

95% of my rides are two hours or less. So, for those rides I carry no water. Two hex keys and tube/CO2 are strapped to the bike.

I hate sweaty back.
    I have thought of this. But I drink a lot. I would miss the water I think.
    The most freeride like fat bike I could make with available parts...

MTB B'dos
    Yes, yes I do
    Here's a thought, you live where and ride at what time, push how hard? Down here, that ain't gona work, you'll end up with a minimum massive headache from dehydration if not worse.

Oh and let's not forget, YOU'RE A STUD!!

Here's a thought....

I hate sweaty back.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by derekbob View Post
    I have yet to see a pack that doesn't soak your back after a long hot day of riding.
    Me either, but it's all relative. Like these guys are saying, a suspended mesh back panel is really the only way you're going to get good ventilation, and at least your back won't be sweating so much worse than the rest of you. I don't worry about it on the bike, but consider it a prerequisite for my hiking and backpacking packs. Really does make a noticeable difference.

Quote Originally Posted by spyghost View Post
    I'm quite comfortable on it in a 37C 98% humidity riding (51C heat index)
    That's not a 51C heat index. 37C and 98% humidity don't occur simultaneously on this planet, and you would be quite dead if they did and you tried going for a bike ride!

Air Pirate
    +1 on the Mule NV. I went to that from a Rogue, found it to be very comfortable. Only fill it part way on most days as I won't use the whole bladder full of water. Keeps my back comfortable.
    "You're messing with my zen thing, man!"

Keep on Rockin...
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Yes, yes I do
    Here's a thought, you live where and ride at what time, push how hard? Down here, that ain't gona work, you'll end up with a minimum massive headache from dehydration if not worse.

Oh and let's not forget, YOU'RE A STUD!!
    Naw. I don't have the studliness to carry 15 pounds worth of water and gear on my back.

A bit of dehydration is worth the freedom, sort of a calculated risk.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I recently picked up a source race and have been very happy with it. Seems to be better quality than my camel, has quite a bit of expandability for those longer rides where I might need to carry more.

Only downside was it took 3 weeks to get shipping out of Israel.
    2015 Pivot 429sl XX1 build

Turns right to go left
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_biker View Post
    Roughy now I ride with a Camelback Rogue. It's small, light, lets me carry the basics (multi tool, master link, sunglasses, a snack, pump and cell phone and plenty of H2O. The problem is my Evil Uprising only has mounts on the bottom of the downtube. Not only is it impractical to reach down there on a slow climb, but it gets super dirty. So looking for a new pack to allow me to get better ventilation under the pack so my back doesn't get as sweaty. Any suggestions? I have even thought of trying out a fanny pack with bladder, but no idea where to start.

Help, my back is gross!
    IMO- the Osprey Viper packs are a superior product compared to the Camelback packs. Especially when it comes to ventilation. I have used my Viper 9 in many hot climates including Tampa and Phoenix in the summer and my back stays much dryer than it did with my old Camelback.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    If I were to buy a new one today, camelback lobo. A good venting pack is so much better than a cheaper pack without.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    The Osprey Syncro packs are what you're looking for. They use a mesh section stretched over an aluminum wire frame. No matter how much water or other stuff you have in the pack, there's always a small gap between the main pack and the thin mesh that sits on your back.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    also a Wingnut user. it is supposed to be fitted to rest on your hips so a lof of your back is not covered by the pack. feels more comfortable and you can use the side zipper pockets without taking the pack off.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    I just ordered the new Camelbak Skyline. It is designed specifically for mountain biking; breathable, keeps weight low on hips, keeps contents from shifting inside compartments. I hope to have it by the end of the week and will post up some thoughts after I've spent some time using it. Of course, I'm a super newbie so my thoughts might mean nothing.

Bob

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Definitely the Camelbak MULE. I bought it earlier this month after having the same issue and it is the best pack that I've ever had. I ride with a trail dog, a husky, and have to bring extra water for him and the three liters of water is more than enough for both him and I, plus it carries all gear that I need (tubes, co2, etc) in addition to the dogs gear (a ruffwear travel bowl and leash - lol).

It's also the first time I've used a pack that elevates it off of the back and it definitely makes a huge difference.

Nice day for a ride..... Moderator
    Here is the Wingnut Hyper 3.0. Sits nice and low keeps your back cool. The 2.5 is even shorter for more back exposure.

Bikin' Bric's Bike Blog

2012 Norco CCX3
    2014 Nashbar Fat Bike
    2016 RSD Catalyst 700+
    2016 RSD Sergeant

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Here's a thought....

I hate sweaty back.
    Pack or no pack, you will wet your shirt unless it is close to freezing, so what does it matter

MTB B'dos
    Just updating as I had my first proper ride today with the HAWG NV, fully packed out with the 3L bladder full & 2 1L bottles, med kit, tools, spares, phone, camera and it did not feel heavy or sweat me in the least, the NV back panel definitely makes a big difference compared to the normal Camelbak stuff. Started riding at 9:30 and didn't finish until 11:50am, temps between 30-31C and high humidity.

J:
    no E:
    I have one that works pretty well, it's a Lesyn?? Forgot the name, I'll take a look...anyway it has a stiff insert w/ bendable aluminum spine inside and the padded mesh is raised, so there's channels for air to pass. Pack is well made (have a camelback bladder inside when using it now)

mtbr member
    ...95% of my rides are two hours or less. So, for those rides I carry no water....
    Two hours in hot weather and I'll go through 48 oz and be looking for more.

MTB B'dos
    Yup, 31C here today and I was out riding between 8:20-10:40am, definitely need the recommended 24oz per hour, yesterday was out from 9:30-11-45am, absolutely sweltering.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    Two hours in hot weather and I'll go through 48 oz and be looking for more.