Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member

Boycott Specialized and Monster Energy...

Until this is resolved, we should all boycott "Monster" energy drink, as well as Specialized, since they are in bed together with their racing team.

It seems that the bastards at Monster are suing a small microbrewery in Vermont for making a barleywine named; "Vermonster". Check out the youtube link below, for more info, then register your dissatisfaction here: http://www.monsterenergy.com/web/guest/contact

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbG_w...layer_embedded

Here is the message that I sent them:

I am a mountain biker, and when I first heard that you were sponsoring a race team, I was very excited, and began using your product to support a company that supports the sport that I love.

Today, I came across a message on an internet forum, that mentioned that you have filed a Cease and Desist order against a small brewery in Vermont, for marketing a barleywine called Vermonster. Somehow, someone at your company thinks that this is a trademark infringement. I, personally, as a consumer, would have never made any more connection between the two different names, than I would have made between FIRST Interstate Bank and the FIRST Baptist Church.

That being said, I will say that having been a small business owner, myself, I find it abhorent that a billion dollar corporation would bully a small mom and pop business, over something that is really so much of a non-issue.

I must therefore CEASE AND DESIST purchasing any of your products, until such time as you CEASE AND DESIST harrassing the folks at the Rock ART Brewery.

Furthermore, I will campaign very aggressively on as many internet forums as possible to get as many mountain bikers and other people as possible to CEASE AND DESIST purchasing your products until such time as I receive notification from your company that you have dropped this frivolous lawsuit.

Most mountain bikers are beer drinkers, and most of them prefer microbrews over watery crap like Buttwiper. Most of them are also likely to prefer microbrews over your energy drink, especially when there are now so many alternatives on the market. Mountain bikers have also been bullied over land access issues, by well funded equestrian groups and political parties such as the Sierra Club, so they are highly likely to identify with and align themselves with the small guy who is being bullied by the corporate giant.

Until such time as I receive notification from your company that you have dropped your ridiculous lawsuit against the Rock Art Brewery, I will take all of the money I formerly spent on your product and spend it on theirs. I will aggressively campaign for as many of my fellow mountain bikers and other folks to do the same, and to spread the word to as many people as they can.

When you look at your bottom line in the future, you WILL see the error of your ways!!! The sooner you CEASE AND DESIST with your frivolous lawsuit, the less economic damage you will cause yourselves!!!!!

Lawyers suck!!!!! Frivolous lawsuits suck!!!!!
    If more people rode more bikes, more places, more often, the world would be a more better place!

mtbr member
    Wow, specialized going after a small group. Shocking. Cant believe something like this would happen. I would be even more shocked if ellesworth did something like that.

sixsixtysix
    Seriously?

ready to ride
    wow

but why boycott spesh?
    they dont produce nrgy drinks
    N* = <3 <3]

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I agree what Monster is doing is a shame, but can you explain a bit more what Specialized has to do with this lawsuit?

mtbr member
    I think he is going after specialized as well because "they are in bed together with their racing team."

☠☠☠
    May 2008
    FYI, monster already retreated, vermonster beer lives

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by yukisan
    FYI, monster already retreated, vermonster beer lives

Thats the power of Bike Doc.

mtbr member
    this hole thing is stupid, besides i have never found monster for sale so i wont find boycotting them hard at all, and i am all for micro brewery's.
    Quote Originally Posted by [Orge
    ]
    This problem could quite simply be solved if people would stop buying Konas.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bxxer rider
    besides i have never found monster for sale so i wont find boycotting them hard at all
    You never been toa 7-11?

Now with More Wood
    Quote Originally Posted by 006_007
    You never been toa 7-11?

He be from Oz.
    Tasteful avatar, BTW...

EDIT: Crap, I meant the UK. Same story. No 7-11s, and not much Monster.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bxxer rider
    this hole thing is stupid, besides i have never found monster for sale so i wont find boycotting them hard at all, and i am all for micro brewery's.
    Oh, well that's good.
    Quote Originally Posted by General Hickey
    You’ve got to be kidding me. I’ve been further even more decided to use even go need to do look more as anyone can.

mtbr member
    Like all similar lawsuits it's more to generate media atention than gain anything else. It's a bad practice but some companies still think it's good for them.
    www.totalbikes.pl - Bike Camps not only in Poland

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman2058
    He be from Oz.
    Tasteful avatar, BTW...

EDIT: Crap, I meant the UK. Same story. No 7-11s, and not much Monster.

Whats wrong w the avatar? Its just a lamp

MK_
    carpe mañana
    Bunching in Specialized into the boycott doesn't make any sense. I'm totally with you on Monster suing the small microbrewery, that's ridiculous. At the same time, I don't touch crap like Monster drinks for the sake of my liver and blood pressure. My liver is pretty busy filtering the microbrews.

_MK
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho

the unvarnished nonsense
    As I just posted in my original thread, the corporate weasels at Monster folded under an avalanche of negative response from mountain bikers, snowboarders, MX'ers, and other fine people that still have a sense of right and wrong.

Thank you to all who voiced their opinion to these bullies.
    "Sufficient to have stood, yet free to fall."
    -John Milton, Paradise Lost

mtbr member

The media attention...

Quote Originally Posted by norbar
    Like all similar lawsuits it's more to generate media atention than gain anything else. It's a bad practice but some companies still think it's good for them.
    The media attention should mostly benefit the Rock Art Brewery, and will most likely hurt Monter energy and their parent company, Hansens.

I, for one, have already contacted the Rock Art Brewery, to inquire about trying some Vermonster out here in Sedona. My friend, Knight, lives in Vermont, and if those folks are as good at brewing barleywine, as Knight is at riding his bike, then I'm in for a treat!
    If more people rode more bikes, more places, more often, the world would be a more better place!

mnoutain bkie rdier
    Quote Originally Posted by Bike Doc
    Until this is resolved, we should all boycott "Monster" energy drink, as well as Specialized, since they are in bed together with their racing team.

It seems that the bastards at Monster are suing a small microbrewery in Vermont for making a barleywine named; "Vermonster". Check out the youtube link below, for more info, then register your dissatisfaction here: http://www.monsterenergy.com/web/guest/contact

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbG_w...layer_embedded

Here is the message that I sent them:

I am a mountain biker, and when I first heard that you were sponsoring a race team, I was very excited, and began using your product to support a company that supports the sport that I love.

Today, I came across a message on an internet forum, that mentioned that you have filed a Cease and Desist order against a small brewery in Vermont, for marketing a barleywine called Vermonster. Somehow, someone at your company thinks that this is a trademark infringement. I, personally, as a consumer, would have never made any more connection between the two different names, than I would have made between FIRST Interstate Bank and the FIRST Baptist Church.

That being said, I will say that having been a small business owner, myself, I find it abhorent that a billion dollar corporation would bully a small mom and pop business, over something that is really so much of a non-issue.

I must therefore CEASE AND DESIST purchasing any of your products, until such time as you CEASE AND DESIST harrassing the folks at the Rock ART Brewery.

Furthermore, I will campaign very aggressively on as many internet forums as possible to get as many mountain bikers and other people as possible to CEASE AND DESIST purchasing your products until such time as I receive notification from your company that you have dropped this frivolous lawsuit.

Most mountain bikers are beer drinkers, and most of them prefer microbrews over watery crap like Buttwiper. Most of them are also likely to prefer microbrews over your energy drink, especially when there are now so many alternatives on the market. Mountain bikers have also been bullied over land access issues, by well funded equestrian groups and political parties such as the Sierra Club, so they are highly likely to identify with and align themselves with the small guy who is being bullied by the corporate giant.

Until such time as I receive notification from your company that you have dropped your ridiculous lawsuit against the Rock Art Brewery, I will take all of the money I formerly spent on your product and spend it on theirs. I will aggressively campaign for as many of my fellow mountain bikers and other folks to do the same, and to spread the word to as many people as they can.

When you look at your bottom line in the future, you WILL see the error of your ways!!! The sooner you CEASE AND DESIST with your frivolous lawsuit, the less economic damage you will cause yourselves!!!!!

Lawyers suck!!!!! Frivolous lawsuits suck!!!!!

Do you think that they will be smart enough to notice that while MTBR has a "Beer" Forum, it has no "Energy Drink" Forum?
    The USPTO can sort this one out. The law is the law. If there is "likelihood of confusion" among the two names: Monster and Vermonster, then the USPTO will not honor the brewerie's new drink name. Considering that they are both beverage companies, I believe the Monster is doing what successful companies do...protect their name with aggression. This sort of thing is standard practice in the world of capitalism... Afterall, it is not like Dove brand soap vs. Dove brand icecream. No likelihood of confusion there...different products completely. Just my 2 cents..

on a routine expedition
    Quote Originally Posted by 006_007
    Whats wrong w the avatar? Its just a lamp

Equal opportunity meanie
    I will go out of my way to buy beer from Rock Art Brewery, even if it tastes like crap, though I doubt it does. I wonder if they distribute to BevMo on the west coast.

Screw Monster. It is asinine that they are actually paying someone to do that.

I wonder what employee at Monster actually believes that "Vermonster" BEER will actually cause a dent in their sales. I also wonder if it is the same person who does not acknowledge that total jackass moves like that will dent their sales MORE than a microbrewed BEER.

This is like Toyota thinking that a DH bike named a "Tacoma" or "Tundra" made from a boutique bike company is hurting their sales.

As much as I like some of Specialized products, I will try to avoid buying them when I can. I didn't forget the same kind of sh*t they pulled with Stratos a few years ago that needlessly put them out of business. Not that I was a huge fan of Stratos products, but I knew the owner, and that move is something Specialized doesn't get forgiven for. This industry is far too small for that kind of behavior.

mtbr member
    If you say so - just be careful your junk doesnt get burnt if you try to put it in there. Halogens burn hot.........

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall Willanholly

mtbr member
    Thanks for posting this in almost every corner of the forum. Now I feel the need to go to each one and tell the people that it is already resolved and the issue is over

All 26.5" all the time!
    Here's the Youtube video:

the unvarnished nonsense
    Quote Originally Posted by rydbyk
    The USPTO can sort this one out. The law is the law. If there is "likelihood of confusion" among the two names: Monster and Vermonster, then the USPTO will not honor the brewerie's new drink name. Considering that they are both beverage companies, I believe the Monster is doing what successful companies do...protect their name with aggression. This sort of thing is standard practice in the world of capitalism... Afterall, it is not like Dove brand soap vs. Dove brand icecream. No likelihood of confusion there...different products completely. Just my 2 cents..
    Wow. That must be some REALLY good weed.

"Yeah judge, I was totally deceived. I meant to buy the normal sugar/caffiene in a can that I always buy, and instead I ended up buying this bottle of 10% ABV barleywine. No, it didn't look anything like the product container that I have purchased a million times before, and I couldn't understand why the guy asked for my ID. I was surprised to see the bottle, as it always comes in a can. And no, I couldn't really understand why there was Kokopelli label and the words "Rock Art Brewery" on the bottle either, but hey, I pay $3 bucks a pop for something that tastes like a mix of anti-freeze and pi$$, so I'm obviously an idiot who wouldn't know any better. Thank you for protecting me from my own stupidity."

And the end result is what should and can be standard practice in capitalism; consumers calling the shots.
    "Sufficient to have stood, yet free to fall."
    -John Milton, Paradise Lost

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    yeah - beer and over-hyped soda are 2 completely different products and markets. It isn't "aggressive" defending of their name, just bullying.

At least the masses have spoken and monster / hansen pulled their complaint. Hopefully the damage has already been done. I've had hansen's sodas, they aren't that great.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast