mtbr member

Bought a rowing machine

There isn't a fitness section, maybe there should be, but anyway.

Every year around this time the sun vanishes, it gets cold, wet and horrible so chances to cycle are few and far between. Trying to keep fit over the winter is not easy but I had a brain wave. Rowing machine.

Good cardio, works the legs, works the upper body and arms too, what's not to like? I'll let you know how...if it works ;0)

Hardtail Steel Forever
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pig View Post

Every year around this time the sun vanishes, it gets cold, wet and horrible so chances to cycle are few and far between. Trying to keep fit over the winter is not easy but I had a brain wave. Rowing machine.

Good cardio, works the legs, works the upper body and arms too, what's not to like? I'll let you know how...if it works ;0)
    They get too monotonous for me, and I say the same thing about vertical climbers and other 1 dimensional exercise machines.

Winter is probably the best time to ride around here, but I'm thinking about one of the electronic trainers and something like Zwift or one of the other virtual riding world apps when I can't get out and ride.
    WTB: Med Bontrager Ti Lite, PM Me...

That makes me smart
    Yeah, I have a NordicTrack ski machine out in the barn, and my god, it was boring. It's not so bad at first, when you are building up to a quezillion reps, but once you're on it for half-hour, 45 minutes, you just want to say phuck it!

Never did use it enough to help me with my cycling, I don't think.
    "I can almost smell the alcohol oozing from that post."

mtnbkrmike

A global map of winds. Pretty cool.

One ring to mash them all
    Rowing machine is a great workout. Good move (if you have the room to store it).
    ¯\(°_o)/¯

Cycologist
    what's not to like?
    Sitting inside on a rowing machine, that's what. Same as treadmill and bike trainer, boring. I find even trying to watch TV while I do it doesn't help much.

I run and ride year round where I live, I think the coldest I've run in was 22F and I've ridden just below freezing. But it is tough with the short daylight, I only get to bike on the weekend, but that's mostly what I do year round. Every winter I say I'm going to hit the trainer but only get a ride or two in; same with the treadmill. One thing I found does help is doing intervals rather than just slogging out a constant speed for distance. At least this offers a little variety.

But good luck with it.
    There are two types of people in this world:
    1) Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I must be weird, I love my Concept 2 rower. I don't use it for hours at a time, usually a 5k, some strength training (pullups, pushups, etc) and then a tabata workout on the rower. Not enough time to get bored for me. But, I also love running on treadmills, so I may be in the minority on that.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Yo, OP, HTFU. Horrible? Like 8 feet of snow in a year? Try this. Get some wool, fleece and a sense of adventure. Got snow up north? Try hiking boots, skis or a fat bike. A rowing machine will become just be a clothes rack. Would seem worse than a bike trainer, ugg. And send me some of that Lagavulin, that stuff is the bomb

mtbr member
    Rowing machines work different back muscles than a lot of other pieces of exercise equipment. I find that the muscles groups that are worked help me to be able to stay on a bike a lot longer. I normally only do it for a few hundred reps though. YMMV.
    Help chart the mountains at www.appalachianbiketrails.org

mtbr member

XC Racing and Training forum is a good spot to check out if you'd like.

It's a great fitness tool.

This time of year, for us Western hemisphere folks, gets depressing as the available daylight hours dwindle rather quickly.
    Stick around if you're housebroken...

mtbr member
    The rower has eight tension settings. After a brief pull on the top setting I thought 'this is too easy' but it turned out that I was toiling pretty quickly. So far ten minutes/250 pulls is work enough so I'll hopefully build up slowly over the coming weeks.

Do rowers build up your arms much? What about core strength?

That makes me smart
    The rower has eight tension settings. After a brief pull on the top setting I thought 'this is too easy' but it turned out that I was toiling pretty quickly. So far ten minutes/250 pulls is work enough so I'll hopefully build up slowly over the coming weeks.

Do rowers build up your arms much? What about core strength?
    So, how is this going?

Due to my new job, my back was getting strained, so I drug out my old NordicTrack ski machine. I'm not doing many reps due to a bit of soreness and boredom, but it seems to be helping.

There's a good article today the SacBee newspaper about towing machines, I'll try to post the link.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/sacbee....id-metropcs-us
    "I can almost smell the alcohol oozing from that post."

mtnbkrmike

A global map of winds. Pretty cool.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    So, how is this going?
    Ok thanks, I think. I'm up to thirty-minutes plus but my back isn't too happy. I've got to the stage where i can just keep going but my back is sufficiently uncomfortable I have to stop, or at least take a short break for a stretch.

Can't say I really see or feel any difference but it must be doing some good so I'll keep going. Maybe I'm doing it wrong.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Rumor has it you will eventually turn into Frank Underwood by using these machines. Buyer beware

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleBitey View Post
    Rumour has it you will eventually turn into Frank Underwood by using these machines.
    No idea who that is.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I enjoy using the rower for a change of pace. I have an app that works with the concept 2 to help keep me motivated--ErgData, it also lets me see progress over time. The games on the rower can be a bit of change of pace, too.

If you are having trouble with your back make sure your technique is correct. I'm no expert but its easy to get out of sync. The concept 2 web site has some videos that are worth a glance.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Earphones + telly while rowing keeps me from getting bored.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tribble Me View Post
    If you are having trouble with your back make sure your technique is correct.
    When I started I took my time getting the technique right. It becomes automatic, like any other repetitive exercise, but you're holding your back in more or less the same position for thirty minutes. It depends, tonight it was fine but last night I had to stop and stretch.

I listen to the radio and after a bit you forget the rowing, you're just sitting listening to the radio.

That Concept 2 looks like a proper rowing machine. This is the rower I have. It uses magnets instead of a fan so it's very quiet, makes virtually no noise at all. The down side is that even on the highest resistance setting, which is the one I use, it's not that hard. Towards the end on the session I speed up to give my arms more of a workout.

Name:  147-6307_PI_1000269MN.jpg
Views: 344
Size:  12.7 KB

Magically Delicious

Waterrower oxbridge rowing machine

I fully grasp Frank Underwood.

In fact, he has the coolest rowing machine.

Bought a rowing machine-row.jpg
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

mtbr member
    Must admit, if I had the cash I'd buy one.

mtbr member
    In my experience rowing machines are hard on your back. It makes sense because they work your legs hard but much of the power is transmitted by your arms while your back is bent. Good technique is essential when using one. If it all possible you should let a trainer or coach who knows proper technique correct yours. Or at least google the topic and get an idea how to do it properly. Probably less of an issue if you are 25 but I think you are a fellow oldster.

My biggest issue with rowing machines is that it's virtually impossible to read while using one. If there is a reason why I look forward to my gym workout then it is because I can peacefully read for an hour or so. No problem with a kindle (sweat is no issue and adjustable font size) while on the spin bike, stair stepper or elliptical machines.

aka: Bucky Fikes
    I sort of prefer the old school style rowing machines with upright bars and a shock absorber type resistance mechanism. With upright bars you can hang a lot of clothes or other miscellaneous sh** from the bars. The newer style tend to force a messier look as they essentially just help in keeping garments partially up off the ground.
    Always ride with a purpose.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by borabora View Post
    In my experience rowing machines are hard on your back. It makes sense because they work your legs hard but much of the power is transmitted by your arms while your back is bent.
    I try to keep my back straight. If I bend it forward then yes, it hurts more, but concentrating on keeping your back straight really helps. I reckon it probably works your core more too?

aka: Bucky Fikes
    I try to keep my back straight. If I bend it forward then yes, it hurts more, but concentrating on keeping your back straight really helps. I reckon it probably works your core more too?
    I actually have a recumbent bike trainer/rowing machine that looks nearly identical to the photo you posted, Pig. It just differs in that it has pedals and the crank axle is located where that blue circle is on the housing. It has a seat back and the seat locks into stationary points on the tracks for pedalling. When I bought it, I sought out some videos on proper rowing techniques. I found this one very straight forward and well illustrated.

Always ride with a purpose.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    I actually have a recumbent bike trainer/rowing machine that looks nearly identical to the photo you posted, Pig.
    Yeah, that company, Marcy, seem to make a lot of different fitness kit. The newer version of my rower has a holder for a tablet instead of the LCD display.

Pro Crastinator
    so, do you think you could pull a water skier yet?

No idea who that is.
    If you set up your netflix in front of the rower and watch a 'house of cards' episode every session, you'll know.

This could be dangerous though, because you may end up marathon rowing through the entirety of the series in one sitting.

Magically Delicious
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    I actually have a recumbent bike trainer/rowing machine that looks nearly identical to the photo you posted, Pig. It just differs in that it has pedals and the crank axle is located where that blue circle is on the housing. It has a seat back and the seat locks into stationary points on the tracks for pedalling. When I bought it, I sought out some videos on proper rowing techniques. I found this one very straight forward and well illustrated.

The video is quite detailed and helped to clear many of my ambiguities. I have made my mind to get Concept 2 Model D. I hope that will help achieve my goals regarding weight loss and overall fitness.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jessehallman View Post
    I hope that will help achieve my goals regarding weight loss and overall fitness.
    Unfortunately it won't. It'll sit there and do nothing. Weight loss is 100% down to you ;0)

mtbr member
    Seems like this is essentially a rowing machine, but more applicable to mountain biking:

https://riprow.com/

mtbr member
    i just use this 2-3 times a week, and keep my weight were i want it. not hard, and its cheap

EXORCIZE
    It's more fun to hit the gym and do rows, pull-ups, deadlifts, sumo deadlifts, roman deadlifts, hyperextensions, squats, then throw up.
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo
    2016 Pivot 429T
    2011 Kona Unit

High Desert MTBer
    I love a rowing machine, it really does help my core when I keep at it. I don't have my own, the only place I have space would be in the garage, and it's simply too hot out there for 364 days of the year. I use the one in the gym, and work it into my routine. Never been a heavy weight lifter myself, just elliptical and some ab/shoulder/upper body machines. The rower is by far the best workout tho, and I just listen to my ipod when I am working out. Gets me in the zone fast
    It's all Here. Now.