mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Bottom Bracket Issues

Hi Everyone,
    This is my first thread posting here. Hoping for some help with some mechanical issues. I bought a Trance X 29er 1 from my LBS about 7 months ago. Shortly after riding ,I was noticing roughness in the bottom braket and a tick every pedal stroke when climbing. Took it in to the LBS. They took it apart, the bearings were gritty and rough, SRAM sent out a new one and they put it in, a month later... same issue. Took it in SRAM sent out a new BB, with specified instructions on installation, installed new BB... a month or two later I am having the same issue again! It is driving me crazy. There is a constant grind and tick/knock with every pedal stroke to the point where other people on the trail ask me about it. I haven't even had the bike a year. Any suggestions? Replace the crankset? I have no idea and it doesn't seem like the LBS has any idea why we keep having the problem either. They are all good guys and seem like they know what they are doing. Myself and a lot of friends have been going there for years and have never had any issues. Any suggestions are appreciated!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Has it been the same brand of BB? Is giant /the shop having the same issue with other bikes? Are the BB bearing worn out ?What kind of riding are you doing?

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Same Brand. SRAM has sent out new BB twice (at no charge). My brother bought a trance x2 the same day I got mine and has had no issues. The LBS guys said that they have not had any issues on other bikes they have sold. I ride a lot of single track, some xc. Maybe 20-30 miles a week. I have not heard of any others having the same issues with the trance. LBS is saying that if it happens again that I need to go with a new crankset. I am a little upset with spending 250 to 300 dollars on a brand new crankset when I payed $2500 for the bike less than a year ago. I haven't ever had any issues like this with any other bikes, even ones that were very neglected as far as regular mainenance goes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Sram should either replace the cranks and BB or sell them to you at cost. Although the cranks shouldn't be causing the problem . Maybe get another new one and talk the shop into keeping that one and putting in a different brand.

AZ
    banned
    Riding in mud or thru water?

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty $anchez View Post
    Riding in mud or thru water?
    I bet that he did, the same happened to me after riding in mud for hours...

mtbr member

Bottom Bracket Issues

Pressure washing the bike? The high pressure water could be blowing in past the bearing seals and ruining the grease.
    Also curious about the riding through mud/water possibilities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    No riding through mud or water, I am in Arizona, trails are super dry. No pressure washing the bike. That is what the LBS suggested the first time, so I have been nervous to wash it since it was replaced the second time. Usually just a damp rag, maybe a light spray from the hose. Don't wash it very much because of the issues with the BB.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Three BBs in seven months - there is another problem - are they installing it correctly? Not sure what type of BB you have but it is very easy to cross thread the retaining caps which would cause problems. I think I would have another shop take a look. I have had a lot creaks and always think oh oh bottom bracket but it has turned out to be something else every time - bad pedal, loose pedal, dirt on seat post...

ouch....
    Was the frame BB faced? If something is slightly off, could be part of the reason it is chewing through the bearings.

Also, if it the external cup type BB, I like to carefully remove the dust shields in the bearings & repack with a good med weight grease like pedros or similar. Really seems to improve the life of bearings. Amazing how so many bearings come quite dry from the factory, heck all the pivot bearings on my trek EX9 frame were almost totally dry on a brand new frame.
    Riding.....

mtbr member
    When you put a new BB in, see if it feels like it is spinning smoothly without the cranks installed. It should feel very smooth. If not, and the bearings have grease, I would suspect the frame itself is the problem.

As mentioned above, was the BB shell faced?

I would try your brother's cranks on a new BB on your frame, before paying for a new crankset. See if they eliminate the problem or not. Seems unlikely.

Maybe they got the alignment wrong when they tapped the threads for the BB in frame. Also, as noted above, I would get a second shop's opinion on things. If your frame is badly tapped, you'll want to know sooner rather than later.

Best of luck - Hope it works out for you.

mtbr member

Bottom Bracket Issues

What BB are you getting?
    I find that I only get a couple months of heavy use out of lower quality BBs. Since I changed everything over to higher quality stuff, I'm getting 9+ months out of each BB.

For sure I would have you frame's BB shell inspected very carefully.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    The bottom bracket is SRAM press fit. These are all good suggestions. I will update when I try them. Each time we have taken the cranks off after replacing the BB the bearings are not spinning smoothly, when we install the new one they are buttery smooth, 3 months later the noise is back. I go through and clean everything and lube it up and it gets quiet for a bit but there is always a tick under pedaling pressure when working up hills. I have replaced the pedals, installed and reinstalled. Checked seat post. It is definitely coming from the BB area/crank set. I did notice something the other day... I went to tighted the bolts that connect the crank arm to the chain ring and one spins and never tightens down like it is stripped. It does not feel loose, but could that be causing the creak or tick I am feeling/hearing? Are some bikes louder than others when they get dusty? It is like nails on a chalk board to me.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    You have to hold the nut on the other side of that chainring bolt, but yes that could be a source of noise. Another likely culprit is suspension/shock pivots.

Also, what do you mean when you say you "lube it up"? Putting oil on cartridge bearings tends to just flush dirt into them.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Thanks for the replies. I thought of the suspension linkages and had them all checked and tightened at the LBS. "lube it up" just meant lubricated the normal stuff like drivetrain, pedals and all the regullar stuff to make sure the creak/tick was not coming from something easy. I have not messed with the bottom bracket myself so that I cannot be blamed for the issue since the bike is fairly new.

To answer other questions... I am not sure if the BB was faced. I would think a manufacturer like Giant would have right coming from the factory. I am not sure though.

I am going to try out my brothers cranks to see if the noise is eliminated with a change in the crankset.

Thanks again for all of the ideas!