mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Bottle Cage bolts, need quick advice about repair

So I went to take the bolt off to put in a new cage. The damn thing stripped and Im having a hell of a time getting it off. Now its not the bolt that is stripped but the piece attached to the frame is stripped and just rotates, not allowing me screw it in. Is there a way to take it out without scratching the hell out of my bike or denting the frame? Any help will be appreciated. TIA
    Last edited by FLiPinoy; 09-22-2010 at 12:03 AM.

mtbr member

???

I guess you mean, you stripped it while trying to thread the screw in, not removing it?? Well the next thing to do is take a small amount of super glue and apply it to where the threaded insert goes into the frame. The part that is spinning. Let it dry thoroughly and then try to remove the screw. You may have to go back and retap the threads. Personally I would just plug it and buy a camelbak.

i also unicycle
    Jan 2007
    i've used the super glue trick before. you'll definitely have to put in a new riv nut, and pull/drill the old one out. i've also occasionally managed to stop the piece from spinning by grabbing it on the edges with a needle nose pliers, or sometimes you have to use a pick and kinda jam it in there. everything is well lubed right? that way you're not fighting the bolt itself too much.
    mtbr says you should know: i work in a bike shop.
    bikes & beers (on my blog) http://idontrideenough.blogspot.com/

DynoDon
    sounds like a warranty issue to me. why should you have to deal with it? a water bottle is great to have even if you don't drink out of it, they help keep dogs off you.

banned
    There is an actual bike tool that most shops carry to fix it. I have done 2 this year. Drill the old one out then insert new rivet with rivet gun designed for the opening and done. Try taking it to your local LBS it should be fairly routine.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by markf
    i've used the super glue trick before. you'll definitely have to put in a new riv nut, and pull/drill the old one out. i've also occasionally managed to stop the piece from spinning by grabbing it on the edges with a needle nose pliers, or sometimes you have to use a pick and kinda jam it in there. everything is well lubed right? that way you're not fighting the bolt itself too much.

Yeah i tried the whole needle nose deal and tore up the rivet so I need to get that taken out and get a new one installed.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    yeah there is a repair tuturiol for this on the park tool website. sorry no link. lazy

PRETENDURO
    Fill up the void with brazing rod, drill, and then re-tap the threads… oh and of course re-paint the surrounding area.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

mtbr member
    Jun 2010

I Need BB Solo Decals?????

Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker
    Fill up the void with brazing rod, drill, and then re-tap the threads… oh and of course re-paint the surrounding area.

Thats what Im gonna have done. This leads me to my next dilema. I really need the community to help me with this one. I need to have the decals put back on once I get it painted. There are a couple dings on the bottom frame and was looking to get those out as well. I need to have the decals that my BB Solo has but cant find them anywhere. I contacted Cannondale to see if they could sell me a kit and I would be able to put them on myself. The decals they have will not match my bike but I was going to go to a local sign/decal shop to have them duplicate it. I just need a picture of the decal or some type of stencil to give them so they can create it.

Does anyone know where I can get replacement decals for my bike? Cannondale has some ut they are a general sticker that they sell. This needs to be 1st priority before I attempt to have the frame repainted.