mtbr member

Boo Hiss Bike Monkey!

I just spent a few days at Boggs Mountain Demonstration forest only a week after the Bike Monkey 8 hours at Boggs race. The trails showed the wear and tear, as expected for such intensive use.

But the corker was the campground. The sites themselves were semi-cleaned up but still had significant trash. However, the bushes between the campsites look like a dump with toilet paper everywhere and plastic bags and other trash thrown in.

I've worked events on public land before. The unspoken duty of the event staff and participants is to leave the place cleaner and better than it was when you arrived. Bike Monkey failed to do this. Without Boggs, there's no 8 hour and without a good clean up after bike monkey, there won't be a Boggs in the furture!

I cleaned up a large trash bag of stuff like energy bar wrappers, rags with chainwheel marks but I left the toilet paper and associated grossness because I didn't have my litter grabber with me.

Boo Hiss Bike Monkey!-trash1.jpgBoo Hiss Bike Monkey!-trash2.jpg

It's about showing up.
    Sad. Thanks for stepping up above and beyond.
    I don't rattle.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    People are pigs, it takes significant growing up to realize this.

Tx for being an adult.

I build my own.
    Thanks telemike! We need more of you and less of them.
    I have a device that can access the total knowledge of man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and argue with strangers.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    If my monkey did that I'd smack it.

Pirate!!!
    I just noticed this thread, I feel like I'd better comment on this, considering that Boggs is literally my neck of the woods. First off, this years Boggs 8hr/ Enduro was the worst I've seen yet, in regards to litter and trail damage.. Many sections of trail are still in really bad shape, and no post race trail maint. was performed. That being said, we will be just fine up here on Cobb. Fact of the matter is that we are to far out of the way for 99% of the knuckleheads.
    It would be nice if next year my forest is treated a little better.

mtbr member

Boo Hiss Bike Monkey!

Bike Monkey is one of the most Eco-Conscious race promoters in Northern California. They promote low impact race events.
    Did you do anything to contact them with your concerns before trashing them on the Internet?
    Are you aware that they are not the only race promoter to put on races at Boggs?
    Is it possible that the trash was left behind after another race?
    Or simply by non-race competitor campers?

Ya, let jump to conclusions and trash somebody on the Internet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

Pirate!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewtality View Post
    Bike Monkey is one of the most Eco-Conscious race promoters in Northern California. They promote low impact race events.
    Did you do anything to contact them with your concerns before trashing them on the Internet?
    Are you aware that they are not the only race promoter to put on races at Boggs?
    Is it possible that the trash was left behind after another race?
    Or simply by non-race competitor campers?

Ya, let jump to conclusions and trash somebody on the Internet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hey Robert,, I agree with you about bike monkey being a responsible party. I've actually got a really good repor with Carlos the event promoter. The bottom line here, is that the knuckleheads that come to race in an area like Boggs and treat it like some back woods dumping ground, should be ashamed. But the reality is, that we have such a low volume of riders out here throughout the rest of the year that we will recover just fine.

mtbr member
    I have it from people who know that Bike Monkey did not stay around to clean up this year although the previous (nationals?) race left the place pristine. And, yes, the trails were really beat up with no attempt to restore them after the race. No, I'm not going to identify "people" and if you don't like that, get a bag and a trash picker and head for boggs.

Other racers left the mess like the jeepers the week after bike monkey? I don't think that jeepers leave rags with greasy chainwheel marks or bike parts packaging. The toilet paper? Didn't check that out too well.

If Bike Monkey sponsors races, their rep is their responsibility in spite of any slobs their race attracts.

Boggs is a gem of rare quality and it's health transends the importance of any bike race.

Pirate!!!
    Yea, I would like to see a better job done next year. Boggs is an amazing place, in that it has the unique ability to repair its self.