inner peace to make peace

BlowTorch, Strada, or Nightpro Extreme?

lume strada 10w hid widebeam $320
    niterider blowtorch 12w? hid (hb) $389
    marwi nightpro extreme 10w hid $355

of these three only: which one, for handlebar?
    Last edited by TrailNut; 01-18-2005 at 11:57 AM.
    The state that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards & its fighting by fools.

Do It Yourself
    The Lume is a very tight beam pattern despite the "wide beam" description. Otherwise a very nice package. No frills or features though. This light uses the 8 cell ballast. Isn't there a coupon for these in the Hot Deals section? Check the link at the top of the page.

I don't have anything too negative to say about the NiteRider although I am inherently biased against them. I definitely don't like their helmet mounts but should be okay for the bar. I haven't played with them much though. I think they use the 11 cell ballast and I'm not sure if it's regulated.

The Marwi is a nice package but the voltage is regulated too low so the light is basically on in the lowest power setting the whole time. This one uses the 10 cell ballast and is regulated to feed 12V into it. This puts it around 8W out. You need to feed this ballast with about 13V to get a full 10W out.
    Long Live Long Rides

inner peace to make peace

Ok, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Homebrew
    The Lume is a very tight beam pattern despite the "wide beam" description. Otherwise a very nice package. No frills or features though. This light uses the 8 cell ballast. Isn't there a coupon for these in the Hot Deals section? Check the link at the top of the page.

I don't have anything too negative to say about the NiteRider although I am inherently biased against them. I definitely don't like their helmet mounts but should be okay for the bar. I haven't played with them much though. I think they use the 11 cell ballast and I'm not sure if it's regulated.

The Marwi is a nice package but the voltage is regulated too low so the light is basically on in the lowest power setting the whole time. This one uses the 10 cell ballast and is regulated to feed 12V into it. This puts it around 8W out. You need to feed this ballast with about 13V to get a full 10W out.

ok, thanks....re: "...coupon for these in the Hot Deals section?..."

I'll get the Lume Strada for my flatbar now...and later when i get the 20 watts of hid lights of Supernova P99-d (845 Euro...what's that in US Dollars?) I'll use the Strada for as a helmet light. Supernova P99-d seems to be the brightest and the most expensive, right

I've been using a 10watt halogon Niterider (weak, but cheap $110)...not happy with the helmount mount..loose fittings. I lost my nicad recharger for my old Niterider 15watt halogen...since they don't maunufacture these old nicad chargers i'll have to recycle them away...good excuse to upgrade.

25watts of combined halogen lighting is not nearly enough to descend with....
    The state that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards & its fighting by fools.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

re: strata

I can only speak to the strada, which I purchased a few months ago. I love it - great value. The only negative comment on the handlebar configuration is the strada's lack of horizontal adjustment.

Quote Originally Posted by TrailNut

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    i own a Storm and of course use it on my helmet. Storm and Blowtorch are essentially the same light..... lemme first say that it's very very very very very very very very very bright. Unless you're looking at doing 24 hr. rides or super long extended rides (4hrs or more) where you need more burn time i'd say this is the only light you'll need.
    Sorry cannot help you on the other lights.
    Did i mention the light is bright?

Also if you're unfimiliar with light systems, if you are only going to have one light, it's so much better to have a helmet light. If you are picking up speed or going around corners the light will track what you're looking at. And many times it's just not simply right what's in front of you.....
    .~...|\
    ...~.|.\
    ..~..|..\
    .~...|...\
    ~....|....\
    ...~.|.....\
    ....~|____\
    _____||_________
    .\....FAILBOAT..../

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Homebrew

BUT WHICH LIGHT IS MORE POWERFUL THE LUME OR THE NITERIDER
    WHAT DOES THE DIFFERENCE IN BALLAST NUMBER MEAN..

mtbr member
    May 2004
    WheelWorld is advertising the 04 Blowtorch for $270. I use a helmet mounted 04 Storm for normal rides and a second bar mounted Niterider HID for enduros.Great lights.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Lume is nice

If you are doing single track, I would only use a helmet light. If you are on fire road, then I would only use a helmet light, but a bar mount is ok. The battery lasts longer on the niterider, over 4 hrs. I get 3 hrs 20 min. with my Lume. If you get Lume and are only going to use it on your bars, get the wide beam. If you are going to use it on your helmet, forsure get the regular spot light beam. Every Wed. night I go for a three hr. night ride with eight guys. Everyone agrees with the helmet light for single track. The beam patterns is better with the Lume. The niterider is too dispursed.

Bike Whore
    Mar 2004
    I like my Blowtorch 2.0 light. Been reliable and solid for 4 months that I have ridden with it.

Take a look at the Light and Motion stuff too. Their fit/finish quality is miles beyond Niteriders. They also have a nicer reflector housing that has a smoother light pattern. Many mail older joints are clearing them out for around $380.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by mcoccia
    WheelWorld is advertising the 04 Blowtorch for $270. I use a helmet mounted 04 Storm for normal rides and a second bar mounted Niterider HID for enduros.Great lights.
    When you call they tell you they are out of the 04's but will sell you the '05 Blowtorch for 299. '05 has the 2.5 hour charger...maybe other changes as well. I bought one and it's an inpressive light coming off a Vista Lite Code 15!

PMC
    mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by CHUYOLIN
    I have a Strada "wide" and ride with a number of guys who have the Nightrider HIDs and they're both pretty freaking bright. The Strada punches a deeper hole but the Nightrider is a ton wider, almost surrounding you with light.

To add another wrinkle, www.chucksbikes.com has the Cateye Stadium 3 for $295.00 which is brighter than any of the lights mentioned and has an equivalent beam to a 80 watt halogen bulb.

Sweat is just fat crying.
    I may have a charger for that light. If you can find out the details on which one it might be, I'll look thru my box of NR chargers.

PM me.

fp
    Information on the trails at New Hogan Lake, Calaveras County, CA.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Nr

I've had a blowtorch, for about 1 year. I think it is great, except for the new h-bar mount, which jiggled a lot. I called NR & they sent me an older cam-lock one which works better--no jiggle. The light is really bright, pretty amazing & lasts a long time. Very happy with it doing 24 hrs of Moab in '04.
    Last edited by jimmy; 04-02-2005 at 07:25 PM. Reason: spelling & grammar

Burnt Orange Lives

i have both of them.

Blowtorch is my main one on the handlebar. It basically covers 80% of my lighting needs...

Strada is on my helmet only for tight turns and switchback... i dont need it for lighting the trail ahead... it has a very focussed beam.

Blowtorch is the way to go, no doubt about it... a great lighting system!!!!!

Burnt Orange Lives

niterider is more powerful...

Quote Originally Posted by CHUYOLIN
    WHAT DOES THE DIFFERENCE IN BALLAST NUMBER MEAN..
    i'd go out only with Blowtorch, but i wouldnt do it only with Strada...