mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Bionx on a Specialized

Bionx on a Specialized
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bionx on a Specialized-img_0005.jpg  

Bionx on a Specialized-img_0006.jpg  

tl1
    Bicyclist
    All that weight moves up and down with the rear suspension? It doesn't seem optimal but if it makes you happy that's the important thing. What is the experience of riding it like?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Looks like it will wheelie well.
    The future is not google-able. William Gibson

usually cranky
    to mar a beautiful bike with that contraption and seat... its just not right.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Certainly looks like it would fit within the frame if the water bottle cage was moved.
    Easy to mount a WB device behind the seat I would think. One other thing, get some paint
    or vinyl graphics on that motor!

Waiting for peace
    I regret to inform you that your 2007 Enduro is no longer under warranty, sir.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I think it's cool and would like to know what cable accessories you may have added or required to mount the fram mount battery on the back end of the bike (rather then central in the frame.

Also would love to know what rack that is to!!..

b.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Found the rack..

But now I'm curious about what freewheel you ended up going with.. My bike has a 9spd cassett and having issues trying to find a 9spd freewheel. Need it down to a 11tooth as well..

b/

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

answer

Salem cycle in salem mass installed the kit, please call them for the answers, it does work great!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Got a pl250 in on Friday. Mounted the bat lower outside water bottle mount. Fits good although I had to make some small plastic pucks to set the at holder off the frame a bit as the mout is more ment for narrower frame tubes.

system seems to work great. Wish they had a mount for the display that would be better suited to my bent MTB bars. Dispay sits on a tilt rather then pointing directly at me..

Used the water bottle screws to hold the mount on. And added some velcro straps to give it some extra support (seeing the battery is roughly 6x heavier then a full water bottle which is what those screws are probably designed to hold)

Best part i suppose about mount it there is the CG of the bike is kept very low..

Will post some pics..

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Also the 9spd freewheel with the 11 tooth small seems to work well also *found it on ebay* So that is good news to. Although the big sprocket is several teeth bigger then the big one oon my casset. So it does not like running on that sprocket in combo with my large front (not that you should be selecting that combo anyway).. and becides with the electric assist you would not be in that gear for long anyway.

Now to figure if the battery will last long enough to get me to and back from work (with my peddle help of couse)

b.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    One thing to note. The charger was set to 230v input rather the 115 when I tried to use it at first.

Why they would set it to that for something shipping to n America I would not know..

Any who.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Here are a couple shots of the bike with the system installed..

If anyone can suggest a better 9spd freewheel then the one I got (with a 11t small) I'd like to know a supplier I could order it from. The quality of the one I got from ebay isn't exactly what I had hoped. Considering the price and such it is fine but I'd love to know if shamano actualy makes one or some other brand.

Gearing up for my first ride home from work tonight. So will report on how it worked will come.

b./
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bionx on a Specialized-p7230735.jpg  

Bionx on a Specialized-p7230734.jpg  

Bionx on a Specialized-p7230737.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Blank message

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Well still have some kinks to work out and have to get used to where this will increase my average the most. But on my first ride home I increased my averate by .4 mph over my fastest "peddeling" average.

Although I had a note in my log on that particular day I had a serious tail wind. Typically I average around 14.55 so actually this improved my speed by 2.15mph

My average today was 16.7 although my light timinig was all screwed up vs the way I've sorted them out when on peddle only speeds. So my actual average when I was moving was probably faster then that.

My average time over 12 trips is 51.5 min. Today I did it in 44min again I was waiting at more lights then normal..

I'd sware I was working harder this ride then on regular peddle power over all.. So in that respect I'm a little confused. Perhaps it was the fact that I was pushing it pretty hard to do as fast as I could and it was 88 degrees out.

I think overall I'm going to want to get a PL500 so the assist continues past 20mph rather then leaving me peddling like mad to maintain 19-20 once it helps me get there and drops me off

One thing is for sure. You don't have to worry about gear selection quite as much when starting from a dead stop. And you can jump out infront of cars a LOT faster then they are expecting (acceleration help)..

Is it cool? I'd have to say yes. Just not sure how cool. If I can be assured a 45min commute no matter how tired I really might be, I think this will be a winner. Although I wanted to get it closer to 40 or 35min..

this PL 250 might find it's way onto my son's bike.

b.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Second trip into work I did a bit better. Getting used to the unit a bit more.

Battery charge indicator is at 4 blips remaining. and clocked 24.8 miles on this charge. So might be on the way to the 40 mile range (or over shoot it a bit) if it continues to track battery state of charge in a linear way.

Assist level has been full on all the time (although the real time assist graph only has 0-3 lines on most of the time so really does not look like i'm "using" the battery that much.

In anycase I'll charge the bike while it's here at work in anycase

averaged 17.9 mph on this trip. (so that is an improvement

Lights timed much better.

Less wind over all (morning)

41:45 travel time (getting pretty close to an even 40min.

b.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    looks good but its scares me that the battery could hit the ground or a curb, forget about off road

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Its no lower then the chain ring. I don't think I would like it up high or rather the CG is nice with it so low. I don't really do any off road anyway this is my commute bike.

Average speed on my ride home today was 17 mph. The wind is harder on my way home then in the am..

I like it so far. But will be looking at the 500 for more speed.
    B.