Thread: Bionx 250

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Bionx 250

Well I've done several commutes on my bike (giant anthem 1) and can say for sure I'm a big fan of the electric addon to the bike..

Think the location of the battery under the down tube is a fine location for it to be mounted. I also got the thumbs up from bionx as well. So guessing they have not had issues with people bumping their battery packs in that spot else would warn against it.

For sure more a benifit to have the bulk of the weight down low rather then up on a rack (in my opinion)

I've made 2 trips in and 2 trips out of work so far. And for sure has boosted my average from 14.55 with a top average trip (peddling manually) of 16.3. To now averaging 17.3mph

And reduced my travel time average from 51:38 to 43:15 So a little reduction on both.. Assist is mosta avaliable/plentifull around 16mph (least that is what it feels like to me)
    Seems worth the money.

System is pretty slick

I would like to see a update to the controls where perhaps if you pressed the + and - assist adjust buttons at the same time it would reset to no assist that way on hills you could switch to regen mode quickly if you were previously at 100% assist. Right now to do that you have to press the - button 4 times then more times to get into regen.

Going to send that info to bionx to see what they think. They seem to be very responsive by email and such.

So far very cool. Just wish the higher power systems were not 2x the cost of the 250.

b.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    You can get many systems for half the price of a Bionx at a 1000w's that will eat its lunch. You get what the marketing guru's tell you to pay for.
    The future is not google-able. William Gibson

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Nice post. Thanks for the info and of course the criticism. Really seems to be plenty of that to go around on this site..

Seriously though. Please list your favorite or recomend some alternatives which you think might make good choices.

B.
    Last edited by wcarrothers; 08-03-2011 at 07:24 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Bionx seems to be the most plug and play. That costs money. I also like that it drives the rear wheel rather than the front. It does have it's issues though.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by wcarrothers View Post
    Nice post. Thanks for the info and of course the criticism. Really seems to be plenty of that to go around on this site..

Seriously though. Please list your favorite or recomend some alternatives which you think might make good choices.

B.
    Sorry to short your shorts there buddy. I have posted plenty in this forum about what I feel is a better way to give a bike motor assist. But the bottom line is that a 250w Euro/Asian system is worthless. For the extra weight of the system, the cost and the added complexity it doesn't do any more than give a rider a crutch to lean on, barely.

Our laws here in the US allow for 750/1000w systems which do carry their own weight, the bikes weight, your weight and then some more which is about the only reason to spend the money to put a motor on a bike. Otherwise just ride your dam bike and suck up but if you want to haul ass and load at the same time with authority go for a US legal system.

The BionX is a good system for those that need plug and play but a little research on a real e bike forum like endless sphere and a few basic skills will get you 4 times the power for half the price.

Carry on.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Still for me, being able to keep my 9 speed freewheel and not having a heavy hub motor is enough for me..

b.
    Last edited by wcarrothers; 08-23-2011 at 12:51 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Also since the install I have not diped below 17mph average for any of my trips.

Still alot of potential inside the bionx systems which are limited mostly by our lovely laws here in the states rather then some short comming in their assembly.
    Last edited by wcarrothers; 08-23-2011 at 12:52 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Sooo, I'd like a little education on the matter... Not a huge outpouring, but here's what I want.

My wife loves to ride....when it's flat...or even better, downhill. I've taken her on the local trails, and she's winded and sick of it 2 miles in... I've given in to the fact that she will never be (nor aspire to be) some pedal pounding maniac. Still, I love riding singletrack.

Here's the question. Is there a system that I can apply to her Trek hard tail that meets/solves these issues:
    1. Simple to install/maintain
    2. Simple to operate
    3. Enough oomph that she could simply stop peddaling if she wanted to...even on a decent uphill climb
    4. Isn't going to break the bank (I'm talking $250/$400)

I hope I've placed this reply on the correct thread, and I really don't want to ruffle anyone's feathers...I just want my wife to enjoy riding with me again without having to buy her a motorcycle to keep up!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Well the Bionx will not be had for that amount. That said I'd she isn't that over weight I'd say the 250 system I got giver a lot of assistance at 14/16mph. Key points of a Bionx system is ease or transparent use, and clean install. Others tout more power of what ever for the $$ but don't think they compeer on weight, ease of use or clean install...

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    At this time your budget will buy you a good battery. And that price is half what it was a few years ago.

Check out the http://www.ridekick.com/2011/06/ride...local-streets/ I think it sells for around $600 and installation is way easy.