mtbr member

BikeDirect or Quality Budget Build?

My question is, is it cheaper to build a good quality budget bike at home, or is a bike from BikeDirect more cost effective? I'm not totally new to bicycles, so far i've owned 3 in the past 6 years or so. I've also never fully assembled one, will my hands on vocational class (autotech) give me any advantages when i'm assembling the bike at home?

I'm looking at getting a good road bike with disc brakes, it will be a daily driver, so I would hope to get something reliable.

Any thoughts

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Hi,
    I'm new to this forum and this is my first post! I would be amazed if you could build a bike cheaper than a BikesDirect bike. I don't know how good they are, but most of those bikes are cheaper than buying the components alone.
    I almost bought a bike from them in the past but I changed my mind at the last minute.

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by dboneslick View Post
    Hi,
    I'm new to this forum and this is my first post! I would be amazed if you could build a bike cheaper than a BikesDirect bike. I don't know how good they are, but most of those bikes are cheaper than buying the components alone.
    I almost bought a bike from them in the past but I changed my mind at the last minute.
    Not true! You are doing the math on what it would have cost if they are full trim by XTR, XX, etc. Unfortunately, they are not most advertised XTR 20 speed would only have 2-3 XTR parts the rest are just a grab bag of OEM. Do the math you are getting exactly what you pay for, no more no less.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mimi1885 View Post
    Not true! You are doing the math on what it would have cost if they are full trim by XTR, XX, etc. Unfortunately, they are not most advertised XTR 20 speed would only have 2-3 XTR parts the rest are just a grab bag of OEM. Do the math you are getting exactly what you pay for, no more no less.
    Yeah, I guess they tend to put nicer brakes, shifters and derailleurs on to impress the buyer and fill the gap with cheaper wheels and other parts. Cheap forks are easy to spot but many people don't notice cheap wheelsets. All in all, I would still be surprised if you could build a bike cheaper than buying a whole bike from any manufacturer if you were to buy all of the same parts.
    I suppose it can be done with hours of internet sniping but it usually ends up more expensive to build from the frame up. I have priced bike builds in the past while bargain hunting and the numbers never worked out for me to build.

T.W.O.
    The real bargain hunting is actually buying used. If you have patience and do your homework you can get high quality bikes and components for very good price. I've helped a lots of my friends into their first good bikes and some scored a nice made in USA Intense 5.5 with XTR components, top shelf fox fork, kings headset for about $1000, Cannondale Rush with lefty fork for $700.

mtbr member
    Ok I see.
    Once I hopefully get my job, we'll see where my budget takes me.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    It's usually a matter of time. A new rider is actually walking around not riding. So looking for deals on new and used or takeoff parts can save you a lot, but you are still waliking until it happens. And who knows how long the time will be?
    Another path seems to be. Buy something cheaper but upgradeable. Find deals new and used while riding. By next season you will have either the parts for a good build or a 26lb bike you don't need to change for another season. You will spend more than you think is necessary now, but end up with something, based on a yaer of learning, you couldn't buy today.

Trail Ninja
    BikesDirect always surprises me with their prices and specs. It's like year-round clearance/closeout sales. If you were to buy new retail parts, hunting for the best bargains and never paying MSRP, you likely wouldn't beat them, but that's not the wisest way to buy if you were truly hunting for bargains. There is a lot of value in second hand deals, at least shopping high end in the XT/X9 or better level. Shopping used in the lower spec levels is hit or miss.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I wouldn't hesitate it buy a higher end BD bike for smooth trail and Xc style riding. The frames while not super modern are solid and the components are nice. They are very Xc oriented. 70+ degreet Ht angle, Narrow bars, long stems, light weight wheels and skinnier tires. If you decide to upgrade, you can recycle a lot of the components.

If you we're looking to buy one of their lower end bikes, like a 500-1000 bikes, I suggest you look for a used to get a overall better package with quality stuff.

My friend owns one if their 600 dollar fs bikes. The rear suspension is just a spring with a cover, house brand cockpit components look and feel cheap, cheap and heavy coil fork with no adjustments. They sold him because it was a fs with some XT components.

In Transit
    Nov 2009
    This is a question better asked over at RBR, I would think. That being said, my BD 29er HT is going strong into its third season. Road bikes are ultimately simpler and subjected to less stress than mountain bikes. You will be fine if you know what you're doing.

Bro
    Where I do my thinking
    Quote Originally Posted by King-Yeomen View Post
    I'm looking at getting a good road bike with disc brakes, it will be a daily driver, so I would hope to get something reliable.

Any thoughts
    I haven't taken a look at many bike catalogues recently, but I'm not so sure you can get a disc-equipped road bike for cheap, at the moment. There simply isn't enough market penetration for that to be the case. Maybe a cyclocross bike will be a bit cheaper if you're set on discs, but I wouldn't bet on it.

If you've gotta have discs, I would recommend a cheap rigid steel mountain bike. If you're set on having a road bike, I'd recommend something with traditional road caliper brakes. The main difference between the two will be geometry and whichever is more suited for your intended use.
    I've made some bad decisions like taking the gears off my bike. So here's the warning: Do not as I say, nor as I do.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by GiddyHitch View Post
    This is a question better asked over at RBR, I would think. That being said, my BD 29er HT is going strong into its third season. Road bikes are ultimately simpler and subjected to less stress than mountain bikes. You will be fine if you know what you're doing.
    I'm mainly a Mtb rider but I was considering one of their Titanium road bikes. Got a couple buddies who road and all I have a an 80s Bridgestone chromo bike. I'm not a roadie so the brand perception means a lot less to me on road bikes.

mtbr member
    I bought a 29er from BD last year - it was a lower-mid-range bike - Dawes.

The bike itself is fine, but some of the parts are cheap - i've had to replace the derailluer twice and clean out the disk breaks due to screeching when applying the brakes. So between the cost of put it together (i didn't do that), the derailluers, it was pretty much a wash if i bought a comparable bike at the LBS. I'm not mechanically inclined, so if you can put it together and fix broken parts, you'll be ok.

The fork is good and the overall performance is good, so overall i was satisfied with the purchase.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by Bro View Post
    I haven't taken a look at many bike catalogues recently, but I'm not so sure you can get a disc-equipped road bike for cheap, at the moment. There simply isn't enough market penetration for that to be the case.
    Yes you can. The Specialized Secteur comes in 2 models. The lower end one has a MSRP of only $1250 which means you can walk out the door for less than that at the LBS.

In my mind, that's an amazingly low price for a bike.
    The 14 warmest years have all occurred in the 16 years since 1997.

BoatMike
    I have built a few bikes so here's my 2 cents. The reason you generally build a bike is not to save money as much as to have something that is exactly the way you wanted it. After years of riding and gazillion miles you start to know what you need out of your bike for the kind of riding you do. You also learn the "Golden Rule" of "Don't replace it until it breaks,then upgrade". You don't need to upgrade to XTR if you don't race and aren't freaking out about a couple grams that you'll never miss. When you build your own bike, you won't want to go cheap. If you ride a lot and hard like I do, then buy the best quality, (not always the most expensive). When you're deep in no-mans land, you'll be glad. Nobody wants to walk out! Know what you want, do your homework, and go build "a wrecking machine Rock". If you only ride once in awhile and on mellow trails and you're on a budget, your LBS or online deals from the mfg. can be a good way to start with a package and upgrade by the 'Golden Rule".
    Last edited by mike mercadante; 04-29-2013 at 07:51 PM.