View Poll Results: Which bike would you race?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll

10 28.57%

25 71.43%
    thecentralscrutinizer

Which bike would you race?

Given a choice of two bikes in your stable, one a 26" bike, the other a 29". All things being equal, gearing, suspension, etc., which one would you race and why?
    Course is a mix of road, singletrack, and fireroad, 30 mies and 4000+ ft. of climbing.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5
    2013 DeVinci Leo SL
    2009 SE Racing SoCal Flyer
    2008 SE Racing lil Ripper
    2003 TiSport Gman

AZ
    banned
    Depends. I have 29ers so that's what I'd pick but if I was given the opportunity to pick new ones I'd have to go according to course conditions. Horses for courses.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Because there seems to be a bit of road and fire road I would go 29'r.

Bill

mtbr member
    I'm going by the experience on my 29r and the 26r's of my past and I'd go with the 29r. My opinion is the 29r would be faster, given those type of conditions. Oh, and I don't even race

TXTony
    29er based on course description

mtbr member
    Need more info.
    Bike types - HT or FS?
    Whats the course like? Techy? Flowy? Tight and twisty? Short quick climbs? Long sustained climbs? Steep or moderate climbs? Hard pack, loose, sandy, loamy?
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

Airborne Flight Crew
    If it's mostly smooth to light technical, I'd go with a 29er. If was going to have extended periods of chunky tech/DH-ish (more than 50%) I'd go with a 26.

Just raced the Big Mountain Enduro (Angelfire/Taos) on a 29er, and while it saved my behind on a climbing stage during the first day, I was wishing for my long travel 26er the second day where the courses turned more dh/rocky/tech orientated...
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard – website

T.W.O.

Quote Originally Posted by mopartodd View Post
    Given a choice of two bikes in your stable, one a 26" bike, the other a 29". All things being equal, gearing, suspension, etc., which one would you race and why?
    Course is a mix of road, singletrack, and fireroad, 30 mies and 4000+ ft. of climbing.
    Given my choice? 6.5" 26 FS. Simply because it's the best climber in my stable, usually weight the same as any of my other FS but now my set up is a bit heavier but more fun. I would not hesitate to race xc with that bike. That said...

Even when I race for fun, I need to know 3 things before I choose the bike.

Know the course
    Know the bike(which one is the best match)
    Know yourself

If it's a 30 miles out and back and the 4000+ ft is a one chunk of climb on a paved and fireroad then descend to finish, and I climb better than descend then I'd take a light FS 26 bike so I can make time on the climb and not giving back too much on the descend.

If it's a 6 laps of a rolling terrain mix with many small climbs to make 700 ft/ lap then I'd go with chunky FS single chainring to maximize the speed as I can just plow thru anything.

Any other course format then it's just the matter of weighing in the pros and cons. Forget pacing myself on the race course, I'm in the red 30 second after it starts

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

thecentralscrutinizer
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewtality View Post
    Need more info.
    Bike types - HT or FS?
    Whats the course like? Techy? Flowy? Tight and twisty? Short quick climbs? Long sustained climbs? Steep or moderate climbs? Hard pack, loose, sandy, loamy?
    All things being equal.
    Course = yes, all those things.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5
    2013 DeVinci Leo SL
    2009 SE Racing SoCal Flyer
    2008 SE Racing lil Ripper
    2003 TiSport Gman

mtbr member
    May 2013
    As an owner of both 26er and 29er. I love riding my 26er over rocks and technical terrain. It's quick turning and tons of fun. But based on the course description I would pick my 29er in a heartbeat. My 29er is faster on the flats and climbs better in just about every every scenario.

Here's how I would break it down.

Road/Fire Road - 29er > 26er
    26er will require more pedaling to keep the same pace.

Singletrack - 29er = 26er
    About equal. Depends on the terrain 26er will be quicker on the turns. I can keep up with most 29ers and may be faster on the downhills.

4000+ ft. of climbing - 29er > 26er
    29er's climb better over obstacles and in general. 26er's require more force to get over obstacles a 29er would just roll over. Again it takes more pedal strokes with a 26er to cover the same distance climbing it would with a 29er.

29ers Forever
    29er hardtail for me, preferably the new Cannondale F29 Ultimate. Something with an XX1, but a Shimano 2x10 would be good as well. But that will never happen as I never plan to race or spend $11,000 on a bike.
    Big Wheels Keep On Rolling

Forth Eorlingas!

mtbr member
    36er!

Tough Guy Extraordinaire
    Assuming this is an XC race, I would be willing to bet when you show up at the start you will see few, if any, 26" wheel bikes. If you do, they will quickly be blown out the back.

There are always a few mutants in every crowd. One of my buddies consistently finishes on the podium with an old heavy 26" bike. But if you don't consider yourself a mutant or don't like the added suffering, go 29"!

usually cranky
    hard to beat a 29er when you want to quickly bang out some xc miles.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by mopartodd View Post
    All things being equal.
    Course = yes, all those things.
    As far as the bikes go, I would still want more info.
    If they are full rigid or HT, 29r for sure.
    If they are FS, it's a crap shoot to me. I could go either way depending on the individual frames.
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

mtbr member
    29er IF and only if you're using a light wheelset on it. The bigger wheels do roll over stuff better, but that's completely negated over the course of a day if you have to spin up a bunch of weight. But I'm just assuming since you're going to race, you'll be looking at some lightweight components.
    "Got everything you need?"

banned
    Aug 2012
    Because it is so loosely defined ... 26" FAT Bike !

MTB, Road, Commuting
    I actually came here with the same question. I think I'm going to do this race: Carrabassett Backcountry Cycle Challenge (CBCC) (100K course) and have both a GT Sensor 1.0 & GT Sensor 9er Elite. Neither are terribly lightweight, race bikes but I just ride them for fun. I'd vote for the 26" for a more sprint oriented race that requires accelerating and maneuvering around other riders but for this long haul I was going to ride my 9er even though it may weigh a few lbs more. I've never seen the course but it sounds like it is a mix of everything described above. It seems like my choice to ride the 9er is the popular one.

I'm not sure about that fewer pedals strokes argument, fewer, harder pedal strokes, yes. The larger wheels just change the effective gear ratio. You don't get work and power for free.

No, I'm not riding the 26" fatbike.

banned
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    No, I'm not riding the 26" fatbike.
    Once you go FAT

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I really doubt that the 2 bikes are actually equal. And given that, I would ride the one that I thought was more fun or more comfortable. Why? Because you aren't going to win, there's no money involved, and the actual difference in speed between the bikes is most likely negligible.

Don't listen to all the BS. Depending on the bike design, a 29er can be just as fast (or slow) as a 26. The rider is the most important variable of all. So that's why I say make the rider happier or more comfortable instead of worrying about the size of the wheels.

Rock and/or Roll
    Dec 2005
    The wheel size doesn't make any real difference. 29er wheels are slightly heavier.

usually cranky
    ^interesting take...

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    For the love of God, it doesn't matter. Whatever you ride most comfortably will be the fastest, proven again and again in competition.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I would grab the 26. The wheels are theortically lighter so you should climb faster.