bust a move

Bike Transport...DOH'S

I have read about and seen a few really bad bike transport horror stories in the past, this was not horror, but close.

So, yesterday my daughter and I decided to meet after work for an off road ride. I quickly throw everything together, load bikes, change clothes, jump in the suv and go. I drive up my street, turn right, accelerate, check the rear view mirror and , only my daughters bike is visable. WHERE IS MY PRECIOUS???? I immediately pull over to find my bike hanging off the rack at about a 100 degree angle. I have one of those old Sportworks/ pre Thule racks that holds the bike with a hoop/swinging rachet arm in the front and a sliding latch for the rear. I (for the 1st time in 6 years) DID NOT put the arm up for the front tire which left it pretty much unsupported.

Result: Front wheel pretty well bent but fixable.
    Bike Transport DOH'S can be very expensive and embarrassing. I got very lucky on both accounts. Major stupidity only equaled minor expense...this time.
    Falling down is part of LIFE…Getting back up is LIVING…

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    A friends little brother wrecked his bike driving into the garage with a roof rack, fixes all the damage and does it a second time! DOOOOHHH! DOOOOHHH!!!

Tigers love pepper...
    Loaded up at the trailhead one night and drove into town for a beer. Was gonna take my bike off the rack and put it in my truck when I noticed that I never attached it to my hitch rack! Thankfully it was a pretty short drive into town, but that could have been bad. It was just hanging there.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Drove into covered parking with bike on top....bike was fine - dented roof of car and bent tray up. Wife drove into garage with roof box on. Had to let air out of tires to back up....now I always leave a sawhorse in empty garage when something is on roof

Sweat is just fat crying.
    I had one of those weird setups where the bikes were mounted upside down on the roof of the car.

Going down the freeway on the way to a ride, I lost control of the car and went up on an embankment. The car flipped, and landed on the bikes. Luckily, the bikes stayed in place & the wheels supported the weight of the car. Everyone inside was ok, so we just continued on to the trailhead, albeit upside down.

Edit: And it's 'D'oh'.
    Mountain Biking Is Not A Crime stickers, free! (You pay postage. PM me for details.)

mtbr member
    Driving across the country in a moving truck towing my car that had a bike rack with two bikes. We lost one of the bikes on the PA Turnpike. Thankfully it was just my crappy road bike. The mountain bikes were in the truck.
    I also did the pull into the garage with bike on rack. Bike was fine, but the rack needed a little work. From then on I put the garage door opener in the back seat, so I had to actually think about using it.

I build my own.
    Never happened to me but I've seen it lots. Bikes on racks hanging too low hit the ferry ramp or deck at low tide and scrape the bike off the rack.

IdontShootPeopleAnyMore
    oo oo me next!

About 5 or so years ago, I had my freeride bike on a rear strap on car rack next to my road bike which had a carbon fork... the rear wheel was spinning the whole 700+ miles I drove and I thought nothing of it... checked the bikes a few times and they were ok...

well the crank was spinning around too and each spin the gnarly pedal was rubbing on the carbon fork of my road bike. the pedal ate through half of the stancion of my road bike fork!!!

never gonna let that happen again!!!
    What mountain bike forum do pirates use? .....

MTB-arrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

mtbr member
    May 2010
    After getting done riding on a really hot day, I rested my bike on the back of the tailgate of my truck. I get in my car so I can blast the AC and cool off. I forgot my bike wasn't loaded, and I drove off. Thankfully there was no car in front of me and I pulled forward instead of backing up.

dedicated beater
    May 2009
    Locked my bike to the roof rack once and headed out to the desert for some riding. About 15 minutes later, on I-80, there's this horrible noise, look in the review and see my bike dangling off the back of the car. I pull over and realize I didn't strap the tire down to the bike rack too. Amazingly, it didn't damage the bike and only put a small dent in the roof of the car. Can't imagine what it looked like to the cars behind me when it went...I was only doing about 75 at the time...

IdontShootPeopleAnyMore
    ski_adk - I have seen some pretty sweet damage from stuff like that happening...

one guy had a bike fall off his rack (a rear hitch rack) and it got dragged long enough for the rear rim to get filed down to the point it looked like a crescent moon or looked a gap the size of pac-man's mouth. The tire was shreaded and rim demolished but other than that no problems...

One guy brought a bike that had carbon rims that boiled up casue it was right next to his exhaust.

Several people brought in tires that were shrunken from exhaust heat...

My favorite was some guy that hit a deer. It bent his fork (steel old road bike like a panasonic or nishiki I dont remember) it snapped his stem and the handle bars completely fell off severing all cables... not to mention there was a ton of blood all over the bike and his roof rack... 0 damage to the car except for a crack at the top of the windshield...
    What mountain bike forum do pirates use? .....

MTB-arrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

mtbr member
    I have 2:

-I had my brand new bike plus my fiance's bike on my Yakima Hold-Up. On the highway somewhere between the US border and Quebec, the rack fell to the tilted down position. We pulled over immediately and put it back up. Later that day, it fell again in the Kingdom Trails parking lot. After that, I used about 5' of duct tape to hold the pin in that supported it, returned the rack and got a different one.

-I had OEM VW cross bars (made by Thule) with a Thule 518 Echelon fork mount rack. I was driving down a relatively smooth dirt road when I look up through my sunroof and see my bike swaying back and forth way too much. I stopped, got out and found that the bolts for the bike carrier had ripped right through the aluminum on the cross cars. I took everything that I could off, threw it in the back of my car and returned the cross bars to the VW dealer that day.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

had three incidents over the years

I have used roof top racks since I got serious about cycling in 1985. First one was when I was carrying my friends home made recumbant and discovered that Yakima Lockjaws did not like square tubing. The second two incidents were using a fork mount setup in the dark after a night ride, and not checking that the fork mount was contacting the fork properly. In all instances the wheel strap held securely and the bike were safe from the pacman syndrome. Jim