Thread: Bike Transport

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Bike Transport

I'm heading to The Alps this Summer & was wondering if anyone had favorable advice or experience in getting a XXL Carbon 29er overseas in one piece? The thought of putting it in a duffle & having the Airline Apes throw it around is a bit frightening.

I also was under the assumption it was far cheaper to carry it on myself than ship it ahead?

And...anyone know of a favorable bike shop in or near Zurich for the re-assemble?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I would get a box from your LBS and put your in it wrap it up with bubble wrap and packing peanuts so it cannot move around and you should be ok. I have traveled that way and it works you will not have to remove that much.

Bikes are good
    Buy a Thule bike box. Took mine to the alps in it, and just returned from the himalaya using it, and the bike has always come out without a scratch.
    "Having lack of self-preservation makes biking more fun."

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Check out crateworks boxes. They fold up and are much lighter than many of the hard cases available which makes it easier to get more gear in the box and keep it under the 50lb guidelines.

mtbr member
    Get a hard box if possible. Investigate early shipping costs versus your airline's bike-luggage cost. Some airlines charge a $250 bike fee (each way) independent of your packaging method. So, even if your piece of luggage that holds the bike is not oversized they can and often will charge that bike fee. The fee varies greatly amongst airlines and often the airline will overlook the bike fee if you are an elite flier or fly business/first. Best to google the exact context (airline, international, mountain bike, boxed/hardcase etc.)
    You might have to declare the bike to Swiss customs, pay a refundable deposit and then declare the bike again when leaving Switzerland, getting your deposit back. You also need to worry about US customs when you return and have paperwork in place that proves that you temporarily exported the bike.
    You will find many sophisticated bike shops in Zurich. The Swiss are very avid cyclists -- both road and mountain. Be prepared to pay through the nose. Switzerland is expensive and Zurich is expensive for Switzerland. I did a quick google and this store came up carrying both Ibis and Santa Cruz so they must be good Backyard GmbH :: Bikes :: Mountainbike :: Velos :: Fahrräder :: Bekleidung :: Service
    Have fun. Aim for 30-40 miles a day or you'll gain weight -- Swiss food is great.