mtbr member

bike theft and mapping rides

I have heard a lot of stories about bicycles being stolen out of people's garages and houses lately. I have a theory that most of these thefts are made possible by people who start and end rides from their houses and post info about their bikes online (Strava, Facebook Map My Ride, etc). How many of you know someone who has had a bike stolen, or had your own bike stolen, and also use programs like that?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    There's also the times when the rider is followed from the trail or somebody sees the bike on the back of the car and follows to see where it's going.

banned
    Jan 2013
    Most thefts are crimes of opportunity. Bikes are top of that list, the thief is literally stealing the get away vehicle. I have serious doubts a crime ring with enough foresight to use that level of technology and planning would waste their time on bikes.

Every bike theft i have heard of or read about the victim will admit to having garage door open or leaving bike unattended where it can be seen and gotten to relatively easily.

I'm not saying your theory is impossible, just highly improbable imo.

addicted to chunk
    ^^^^ yup this.

Thieves aren't that smart....
    Riding.....

Oh, the huge-meh-nity
    Aug 2013

I didn't do it
    I wager that most bikes are not stolen in the ride from the door to trail scenario but rather when opportunity rises. There are regular reports of bikes being taken in my area and judging from their locations these folks are not riding out the door, they drive to the trailhead like most people.

I'm sure it's happened but the percentage is going to be low.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted
    Remember, commas save lives

mtbr member
    I think that most bicycle thefts are crimes of opportunity, but there seem to be a lot of targeted thefts lately where a house gets hit and nothing else is stolen. someone is hitting specific houses with nice bikes in the garage. opportunistic thieves don't wander around a neighborhood peeking in garages until they see a bike they want, they just wander around the city looking for poorly-locked bikes.

I didn't do it
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    I think that most bicycle thefts are crimes of opportunity, but there seem to be a lot of targeted thefts lately where a house gets hit and nothing else is stolen. someone is hitting specific houses with nice bikes in the garage. opportunistic thieves don't wander around a neighborhood peeking in garages until they see a bike they want, they just wander around the city looking for poorly-locked bikes.
    I believe that opportunistic thieves do spend their days peeking in garages but they do it in a somewhat targeted way to maximize their chances of success. They are probably looking in garages, not to steal bikes specifically but anything of value in plain sight. They see a nice, well maintained house - perhaps a late model vehicle parked in the driveway. They know that the homeowner has some disposable income and so there's a good chance that if they can get in the garage they can get something of value be it a bike, tools, other sporting equipment or whatever.

Whatever is going on, bikes are regularly taken from garages and I doubt the thieves are doing nothing more sophisticated than using their own intuition and common sense to find things to steal.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted
    Remember, commas save lives

Anytime. Anywhere.
    You can set Strava so it doesn't show the exact location of your house. Around here every 4th house has mountain bikes in the garage and there were a few thefts a while back. I keep the garage door shut unless I'm working there. An easier way to steal one is out of the back of a pickup, Wed night in front of the pub. Lots of bikes and probably not all locked. Happened to a friend of mine in Winnipeg. Bike on car, not locked and his security was to get up and look out the window every 5 min. It only takes a few seconds.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Regardless, it's rather stupid to have anything online pointing to your home. Equally stupid to have yours or freind/family home way pointed in your cars GPS

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    There has been a lot of targeted bike theft in the Austin area lately. Instances where thiefs with break into locked alarmed garages and take only high end bicycles, in some cases leaving lower end stuff behind. It has been a pretty common problem for years but seems to have really blow up as of late. It'll be interesting if we ever get to find out how they chose their targets. I also can't even think of a good outlet for stolen high end bikes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    You can set Strava so it doesn't show the exact location of your house.
    anyone with the internet skills of a nine year-old can find your bike on strava, look up your name on the county tax assessor's office, and know exactly where you live in 30 seconds. they don't even have to leave their hole before deciding when and where to break into a house to steal a nice bike.

mtbr member
    My wife thinks I'm silly for locking up the bikes in the garage. $4000 worth of rolling gear and none of it would be covered unless it all gets stolen at once. I remember the guy who had both bikes stolen days apart, and I'm not going to make it easy on them. There's a few 2x4's laying around with nails in them, leftover from ongoing "construction", as well.