Special Lister

Bike storage from the ceiling

Trying to get some ideas of how to store my DH and AM bikes from the ceiling. I don't wanna store them upside down and I cannot use the a bike lift. Anyone have ideas on their personal setups. If you have pics please post.

duh
    with out a lift how you going to get it up.

you can put two hooks on one side for the handle bars and one where the seat would be

mtbr member
    Two hooks for the bars, one for the seat?

Special Lister
    I would like to use a lift, but can't. The lift would be in the center of the garage and no where to tie the rope to.

I thought about two long hooks.

Quote Originally Posted by deke505 View Post
    with out a lift how you going to get it up.

you can put two hooks on one side for the handle bars and one where the seat would be

mtbr member
    Why not upside down? Just curious.

And when you say 'bike lift' do you mean pulleys and rope?

Obviously you can attach some sort of hardware from the ceiling right?
    Do you have exposed joists?
    Just trying to get an idea of the surface and height you are working with here.

duh
    Is your ceiling drywalled? You can get some butterfly bolts to attach it to a ceiling.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011

The picture is sideways, but you get the idea.

Special Lister
    I have a 9' drywalled ceiling. I know where the joist are. It would be in front of a 3rd bay just beyond the end of the door when it's open. The other end has shelving. No where to tie the rope front or back.

I don't wanna hang it upside down because of it may having an effect on the brakes.
    I use to hang my Yeti on the wall and if it was up there for a few weeks the brakes would develop air in the lines.

mtbr member
    Hang em' from the seat. Here's what I did in the garage. It wasn't built with aesthetics in mind but it works great. 1/2" pre-threaded pipe, a couple of elbows and flanges, and a few screws. Less than $25.

Attach the rack to a surface mounted a backer board spanning the joists where you want to install.

EDIT: I see a few like minded folks. :-)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bike storage from the ceiling-hanging-bikes.jpg  

Last edited by BeeRoose; 12-01-2012 at 10:17 AM.
    "That's the smell of fitness."
    Foster Farms MTB Chickens

mtbr member
    I'd say use a lift, but have a hook on the end of the line, then with a pole/broomhandle hang the end of the line on the bike somewhere so the rest of the cord isn't hanging down in your way.

The bar idea above looks doable too.

I used to hang my kayaks on hooks high up in my shop ceiling space. I had hooks suspended from the I-beams, and a short double hook thing I made that would hook onto the loops of my kayaks and on to the hooks from the beam.
    The double hook thing was emt and I had a pole that fit inside.
    I'd put the pole in the double hook pipe, hook it to one kayak end and lift it up to the ceiling hook. The repeat with the other end.
    Just an idea, though I'm not sure I'd do that exact same thing with a bike.

As far as the brakes go... I contacted Magura, I think, and they said hanging upside down was not an issue as long as the brakes were properly bled... meaning... no air in the lines to start with.

I posted the email a while back but I can post it again if you're interested. Just fyi.

Special Lister
    I love this idea except my Yeti has a Reverb and I wouldn't want the 'pulling' on it all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by BeeRoose View Post
    Hang em' from the seat. Here's what I did in the garage. It wasn't built with aesthetics in mind but it works great. 1/2" pre-threaded pipe, a couple of elbows and flanges, and a few screws. Less than $25.

Attach the rack to a surface mounted a backer board spanning the joists where you want to install.

EDIT: I see a few like minded folks. :-)