Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Bike stand

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by canker View Post
    They are fine as long as you don't plan on moving it much. They weigh a lot and are akward to move. I'm much happeir with my $90 pricepoint stand.
    Thanks.

Man I can't decide whether to build or buy. One reason I want a stand is to take it out to the front yard/sidewalk and clean it. Making one with a wood base won't handle that for long. And the extra weight as you mention.
    But even the "cheap" stands are over my current budget.
    Just can't afford much right now.
    2008 Cannondale F4
    Shimano XT brakes, ice tech rotors.

Workin for the weekend!
    To the OP, like anything in life you get what you pay for. The $100 you spend on a Feedback sports stand or similar, will pay for itself year over year. The garage fabbed stands, while novel will fail and be relegated to firewood soon enough...

A good work stand is key, a sh!tty one is weak. Just sayin...
    Todd

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Bike stand

I built my own stand a few years back and wound up buying the Feedback stand a few months ago when I found one on sale. Had I used a Feedback stand back when I considered building one, I would have never gone that route. The commercially available stands are so much better. Yes it was fun to build one but the practicality is far better on the commercial ones.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mtbr member
    I most likely will pick up one of the $100 stands in the next couple weeks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    How about a natural bike stand for zero $.
    Yeah, but it's gonna take him like 10 years to grow one.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kbarrette View Post
    I built my own stand a few years back and wound up buying the Feedback stand a few months ago when I found one on sale. Had I used a Feedback stand back when I considered building one, I would have never gone that route. The commercially available stands are so much better. Yes it was fun to build one but the practicality is far better on the commercial ones.

I didn't want to mention it -- not wanting to insult the DIY crowd -- but that's what I always thought about DIY stands.

I see posts from guys that say things like "For only $35 in materials, I built this stand in just a few hours."

My thought was that for another $70 you could have had a professional stand that a) works better b) will last forever, and c) didn't take a few hours to build. That seems worth the extra bit of money. Particularly because the best DIY stand probably doesn't perform as well as the worst purchased stand.

The only exception would be if the person truly enjoys building stuff and has the tools, materials, and knowledge to build a stand that rivals a professional stand.
    I live with fear and danger every day. And on the weekends she lets me go mountain biking.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Bike stand

Quote Originally Posted by KevinGT View Post
    I didn't want to mention it -- not wanting to insult the DIY crowd -- but that's what I always thought about DIY stands.

I see posts from guys that say things like "For only $35 in materials, I built this stand in just a few hours."

My thought was that for another $70 you could have had a professional stand that a) works better b) will last forever, and c) didn't take a few hours to build. That seems worth the extra bit of money. Particularly because the best DIY stand probably doesn't perform as well as the worst purchased stand.

The only exception would be if the person truly enjoys building stuff and has the tools, materials, and knowledge to build a stand that rivals a professional stand.
    It's not dig against the DIY crowd. I have seen many DIY stands built that are straight up awesome. If you can improve upon a design, then go for it! If you just need something that holds a bike so you can work on it, DIY is not the way to go, especially if your skill set in building things isn't top notch.

mtbr member
    I use the Feedback Elite and love it's portability and stability....Was a little pricey but I got a discount at the LBS that made it easier to get...Also, since my space is limited I needed a stand that could break down when not in use...

mtbr member
    $100 seems like a lot for something so simple, but when you buy a repair stand, $100 can buy one that lasts a lifetime. Buy a Park stand or clamp head and never worry about it again

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3