Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Beer Please!

Bike Speakers, Music on the trail

I know the majority of people (myself included) feel that people who ride/hike/run/walk on the trail with ear buds in are a danger to themselves and others since most ear buds cancel out any noises that could alert one to dangers such as a rattle snake, a person who wants to pass you on the trail, etc, etc.

But what do you guys think of this?

Trade Hydration For Hendrix With Scosche's boomBOTTLE Speaker

It is a Bluetooth speaker designed to fit in a bottle cage.

Personally I normally ride with friends and like to enjoy conversation along the way, but I can see this being a viable option for a solo-rider who wants some tunes while he rides but wants to remain responsible.

What do you think? Is it a terrible idea because we might have to hear someone's obnoxious music ruining the scenery?
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

Flow like water
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    I know the majority of people (myself included) feel that people who ride/hike/run/walk on the trail with ear buds in are a danger to themselves and others since most ear buds cancel out any noises that could alert one to dangers such as a rattle snake, a person who wants to pass you on the trail, etc, etc.

Personally I normally ride with friends and like to enjoy conversation along the way, but I can see this being a viable option for a solo-rider who wants some tunes while he rides but wants to remain responsible.

What do you think? Is it a terrible idea because we might have to hear someone's obnoxious music ruining the scenery?
    If the responsible solo-rider is in Alaska, and if the caribou do not object, and if the mix is Usher alternating with Grateful Dead, well, i dunno. What would you think?
    "Head injuries are pretty high-consequence" - AndrwSwitch

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Usher might be an issue for most grizz...

mtbr member
    To each his own.
    Everyone has their own particular quirks or tweaks that make their riding experiences enjoyable.
    There's a total hesher who I have seen several times around Cottonwood/Blue Diamond in Vegas that rides with a boom box/set of speakers taped/hose clamped to his handlebars.
    I usually see him middle of the day when no one else is around.
    Music is blasting and he's rocking jeans, workboots, and a cotton hoodie.
    No helmet of course.
    Nice bike too last time i saw him-Giant Trance or something.
    The guy actually rides.
    First time I saw him i figured he had just scored a bunch of meth and stole the bike.
    However, after repeated sightings I figured that even if he was cranked out of his skull on a stolen bike, he had at least discovered the riding that was working for him.
    Now I just give him the devil horns followed by a thumbs up when i see him.

Jonesin'
    Small speakers like that always sound like shyt. Either use headphones or play the harmonica while you ride.

Or the better option, listen to the sounds of tires crunching on dirt and rocks.
    Never be the path of least resistance.

"You picked a fine time to leave me loose wheel." -Simply Weasels

High Desert MTBer
    Quote Originally Posted by ForrestJones View Post
    Small speakers like that always sound like shyt. Either use headphones or play the harmonica while you ride.

Or the better option, listen to the sounds of tires crunching on dirt and rocks.
    This makes sense to me... I have been taking guitar lessons while I ride to try and break the monotony...
    It's all Here. Now.

MTB B'dos
    Seriously OP, if you want to listen to music you like, then stay home and listen or go someplace where there's absolutely nobody around, but don't go on a public trail to force your music selection onto others out looking to enjoy the trail and nature. Definitely don't stick any damn earbuds in your ears so you can't hear when others want to pass.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004

Heck, I don't like listening to people's music in the parking lot. At least on the trail they will be out of earshot sooner.

If someone wants to use it, it's their choice. I'll just think they are a complete tool. I'd rather they use ear-buds.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Sheesh... If you took all the "music on the trail" threads and sewed them together, it'd be bigger than the AIDS quilt.

OP, why would you want to carry extra junk on your ride? There is a great compromise, you know: put in ONE earbud and listen at half volume. That way you can hear the world around you AND enjoy background music without disturbing others or being a tuned out Pod person.

How come this common sense way of listening to music while riding needs to even be mentioned? People actually think of strapping on a crappy speaker to their bike before thinking of just using one earbud? I've been doing this for a couple of years. I can listen to my music (or podcasts), hear the world around me AND not have to carry my extra crap on my bike. It's a great compromise that seems common sense would figure out before all else.

'11 Opus Strat
    Agreed, It's a bit silly.. But hey, If ya want to cruise with a few buddies, stop have a drink, listen to some tunes, and not be to obnoxious.. Giver. ( You really can't tell anyone not to )

As for ripping apart the OP, He obviously agreed it's not a particular or safe riding choice but asking what the population here thinks about them.

And I really think you guys are underestimating the power and quality of these little Bluetooth speaker systems ( and or just speaker docks ). Sound/Speaker technology has been at it's max for the past 10years, nothing new, everything is just getting cheaper to buy and cheaper to make. I have just a regular headphone jack docking station ( 2 speakers ). Thing was 25$ and worth every penny, VERY loud with no distortion.

Just think of how small the speakers are in a set of Beats head phones... Excellent quality, but tiny crappy speakers right??
    Quote Originally Posted by dubthang View Post
    I'm surprised you could hear her complaining over the sound of the vacuum.

mtbr member
    Road rides I wear yurbuds that let in some outside noise, and mountain rides get my full undivided attention. I could see going with earbuds on an endurance mountain ride (60+ miles) on the long and boring non technical sections and with good sight, otherwise single ear. Speakers on bikes is tempting but the problem is that your taste in music sucks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Honestly? I'd rather have another water bottle.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    There is a great compromise, you know: put in ONE earbud and listen at half volume. That way you can hear the world around you AND enjoy background music without disturbing others or being a tuned out Pod person.

How come this common sense way of listening to music while riding needs to even be mentioned? People actually think of strapping on a crappy speaker to their bike before thinking of just using one earbud? I've been doing this for a couple of years. I can listen to my music (or podcasts), hear the world around me AND not have to carry my extra crap on my bike. It's a great compromise that seems common sense would figure out before all else.
    Thanks, Dion and I agree totally. I had just posted this to my local forum, where the topic is going full blast since someone posted the Scosche link:

Considering the wide range of musical preferences in humans, anyone playing any type of recorded music in public is annoying someone. Put in one ear bud, crank and enjoy.

The open ear lets you hear other trail users yelling "Strava!" and also alerts you to how awful you sound if you are going for the karaoke option.

Beer Please!
    Quote Originally Posted by shawnt2012 View Post
    As for ripping apart the OP, He obviously agreed it's not a particular or safe riding choice but asking what the population here thinks about them.
    Yes, maybe I should clarify my viewpoint. I have no interest in getting one of these, as I stated I prefer to chat with my friends while riding.

I also do not use ear buds as I think having both ears occupied with music can be dangerous.

I also am not interested in listening to other people's music on the trail.

I was just curious what people thought about it since it is a new product being shown at CES this week and we might see it on our trails.

mtbr member
    Practically speaking, I don't see how it would be loud enough to become particularly enjoyable for the rider. I've seen a few random setups, from small speakers wired to the bars to a guy that rides with music playing from his phone in his pack. I can't imagine either can hear very much.

And personally speaking, if the music was loud enough for the rider to be able to hear it well when riding, it would be incredibly annoying to everyone else and would be rude and insensitive. I'd rather they use earbuds. Personally, I don't see the problem, as long as the volume is not so loud that the rider is oblivious to what is going on. I've been using headphones on the road and mountain for about 15 years now, and have not encountered a situation where I felt I was endangering myself or people around me. Of course, the volume is low enough that I can talk to other riders at stoplights or on lifts with them in my ears.
    '11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I personally don't see the need for music on the trails, but I ride with a group. There's always more than enough entertainment on our rides, that's not to say someone won't use their phone to play some tunes. Today's smartphones have pretty awesome sound output!

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Is it a terrible idea because we might have to hear someone's obnoxious music ruining the scenery?
    Yes, main reason being you will look like a tool. Why attract attention to yourself?

mtbr member
    i like the concept... if its going in the water bottle holder won't it get wet if you go through a puddle / river crossing? I never ride with headphones for above stated reasons, but this sounds like a cool idea.

workin' it Administrator
    Any time I have used my phone for Bluetooth transmissions, just an afternoon of phone calls and the like, the phone and my bluetooth thingy have drained their batteries real fast. So with this streaming your music you can a) annoy people on the trail, b) partially hear your music over the bang and clang of your bike and the trail c) have a dead phone which will be nice when you break a wheel, crash and hurt yourself or find someone injured on the trail and d) have a nice expensive little gizmo that you will either eject on a fast bumpy downhill or leave on your bike and someone will take at the nearest convenience store while you are getting a power bar.

This is a bad idea all around and I am not surprised it is showing at CES.
    Try this: HTFU

the half breed devil
    i don't like it...

No Stranger to danger....
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Seriously OP, if you want to listen to music you like, then stay home and listen or go someplace where there's absolutely nobody around, but don't go on a public trail to force your music selection onto others out looking to enjoy the trail and nature. Definitely don't stick any damn earbuds in your ears so you can't hear when others want to pass.
    Couldnt agree more, i think its an incredibly selfish act to impose your music to others on a trail, same goes in a camping area or anywhere that nature gives us the beauty of natures music.
    Cant people go anywhere without mod cons and music these days? i have no comprehension for this, none at all.
    Put one ear bud in if you are so desperate to listen to music, or wear both and be responsible for your own actions of having to listen to music..
    This topic really irritates me..
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

Beer Please!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tystevens View Post
    Personally, I don't see the problem, as long as the volume is not so loud that the rider is oblivious to what is going on. I've been using headphones on the road and mountain for about 15 years now, and have not encountered a situation where I felt I was endangering myself or people around me. Of course, the volume is low enough that I can talk to other riders at stoplights or on lifts with them in my ears.
    I think you have it right, however I have yet to meet someone on the trail with ear buds in who keep the music low enough to talk to another person or be able to hear a bike bell. The people I have encountered with buds in have the music up so loud I can hear it from a few feet away...... so I know they are oblivious to the sounds of the world around them.

Beer Please!
    Quote Originally Posted by rockcrusher View Post
    Any time I have used my phone for Bluetooth transmissions, just an afternoon of phone calls and the like, the phone and my bluetooth thingy have drained their batteries real fast. So with this streaming your music you can a) annoy people on the trail, b) partially hear your music over the bang and clang of your bike and the trail c) have a dead phone which will be nice when you break a wheel, crash and hurt yourself or find someone injured on the trail and d) have a nice expensive little gizmo that you will either eject on a fast bumpy downhill or leave on your bike and someone will take at the nearest convenience store while you are getting a power bar.

This is a bad idea all around and I am not surprised it is showing at CES.
    I did not think about points C and D. And I think someone mentioned water crossings. I can only guess this type of item is aimed at people on beach cruisers that are riding the boardwalk down by the sea.

mtbr member

^ this

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    On the road I love music but not on the trails. My buddy rides with his buds hanging off his helmet straps-drives me crazy.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast