Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 36
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    8

    Bike for a soldier?

    Hey gang!

    I wanted to take a second and post here about a soldier that just recently came back from serving in Afghanistan. He's been through hell over there and is readjusting to life back in the US. He was injured while over in Afghanistan and has had a hell of a time readjusting and getting care.

    He's a former football player and hell of a kid! 21 years old and needs a little love. He just told me he wants to get into mountain biking and ride with his buddies. Problem is...he has no bike! Anyone feeling generous or willing to help him get a bike? We guess he would ride a large to XL frame since hes 6'2 and weighs about 220.

    If you care about helping our soldiers and want to donate to him...send me a line and let me know.

    Cheers!

    Michelle
    Last edited by PortlandBound; 05-11-2013 at 06:32 PM. Reason: spelling!

  2. #2
    Sweat is just fat crying.
    Reputation: Finch Platte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    9,451
    Hey, Michelle, pm me.
    Mountain Biking Is Not A Crime stickers, free! (You pay postage. PM me for details.)

  3. #3
    Afric Pepperbird
    Reputation: dirt farmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    4,496

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MSU Alum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,029
    Quote Originally Posted by dirt farmer View Post
    Excellent!

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dickeydoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    347
    I really appreciate your effort to help your friend get started in mtbing. Spending a couple hours out on the trails is a great way to clear your mind. I would just like to say that I'm 6'2" 220lbs and have ridden a few various mtnbkes over the last 20 years and they have all been large frames, xl were always to big. Good luck
    You will be scarred for life if you click my avatar

  6. #6
    I'd rather be on my bike
    Reputation: TenSpeed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,004
    Join date: May 2013 and looking for a free bike. Smells fishy unfortunately.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    774
    Quote Originally Posted by PortlandBound View Post
    Hey gang!

    I wanted to take a second and post here about a soldier that just recently came back from serving in Afghanistan. He's been through hell over there and is readjusting to life back in the US. He was injured while over in Afghanistan and has had a hell of a time readjusting and getting care.

    He's a former football player and hell of a kid! 21 years old and needs a little love. He just told me he wants to get into mountain biking and ride with his buddies. Problem is...he has no bike! Anyone feeling generous or willing to help him get a bike? We guess he would ride a large to XL frame since hes 6'2 and weighs about 220.

    If you care about helping our soldiers and want to donate to him...send me a line and let me know.

    Cheers!

    Michelle
    Soldiers do get paid, you know.

  8. #8
    Two Wheeled Terror
    Reputation: Kryptoroxx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    371

    Re: Bike for a soldier?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ailuropoda View Post
    Soldiers do get paid, you know.
    Does sound fishy. I'm active duty and while I didn't get a 3k mtn bike I was able to get into a used bike that is solid. E-5 for reference. Its true we don't get paid much but managing your money is priority #1.
    Now if he's disabled missing an appendage or two and has to have a bike specially made/modified for use there are a couple of organizations working in that field.

    Hate to sound like an unforgiving a$$hat but don't take advantage of people because we are vets. We aren't victims.

    sent by carrier pigeon

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: AlexD.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    9
    That's exactly what I was thinking. Even though he served his country in Afghanistan doesn't mean he is a her/victim that needs to be given everything for free. Why can't he just buy his own bike if he wants to get into MTB?

    Edit: Apologies if that sounded kind of ungrateful, but it's not like a decent bike costs millions...
    Ride the mountain, ride the world

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    774
    Ha ha. Stand by to be flamed. You have gored the sacred cow.

  11. #11
    Two Wheeled Terror
    Reputation: Kryptoroxx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    371

    Re: Bike for a soldier?

    Quote Originally Posted by AlexD. View Post
    That's exactly what I was thinking. Even though he served his country in Afghanistan doesn't mean he is a her/victim that needs to be given everything for free. Why can't he just buy his own bike if he wants to get into MTB?

    Edit: Apologies if that sounded kind of ungrateful, but it's not like a decent bike costs millions...
    Now with that being said if someone said hey is there anyone willing to sell a bike or help a vet find a decent bike for a good price so he doesn't get ripped off....that would be a acceptable request. You're right a decent bike doesn't cost millions. I got mine for 300. Its not perfect but it was a decent price for what I got and it didn't come from a dept. Store

    sent by carrier pigeon

  12. #12
    No Stranger to danger....
    Reputation: Tone's's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    5,520
    Quote Originally Posted by TenSpeed View Post
    Join date: May 2013 and looking for a free bike. Smells fishy unfortunately.
    Agree mate, michelle is probably a 220 pound bloke looking for a free ride, some sort of an introduction and mingle in the community would have been nice, i hope shes legit but i dont buy it for a second.
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

  13. #13
    High Desert MTBer
    Reputation: rockerc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    4,280
    Smells Nigerian to me too...
    It's all Here. Now.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    774
    I wish they'd let me ride the trails at Fort Polk. I'd go in on a bike in exchange for that.

    Barksdale AFB in Bossier City, Louisiana has some pretty good trails but you have to have an ID card to get on base.

  15. #15
    Two Wheeled Terror
    Reputation: Kryptoroxx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    371

    Re: Bike for a

    Quote Originally Posted by Ailuropoda View Post
    I wish they'd let me ride the trails at Fort Polk. I'd go in on a bike in exchange for that.

    Barksdale AFB in Bossier City, Louisiana has some pretty good trails but you have to have an ID card to get on base.
    Same thing here in 29 palms. However I can ride those for another year or so. There aren't a whole lot of trails here to ride within biking distance. A couple hours away in big bear there are tons and down in palm springs I hear there are some awesome trails. I haven't made it to either yet but the summer has just begun.



    sent by carrier pigeon

  16. #16
    I'd rather be on my bike
    Reputation: TenSpeed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,004
    OP still only has 1 post. Smells more like a scam now than before.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: papaish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    32
    I too have sustained an injury serving overseas (see profile pic) While I went through rehab and being assigned the the Warrior Transition Battalion there are many programs that will work with wounded warriors. One, for example is Road 2 Recovery, it is roadies but you do get a free bike that you can start out on. There is also differant non-profit orginizations that also can assist, Soldiers Angles, Wounded Warrior Project are two that I have used. Asking for free stuff is just that same as standing on the corner with a cardboard sign asking to help a vet. There are well over 200 organizations that help and assist wounded warriors and vets that there should be no one asking for free stuff. Now if your truly serious, find your LBS and see if they have a riding club, buy a MTB from cragslist or any used one and go from there, nobody cares what you ride, just ride and recover. I did.
    Scott "PAPAISH" Daley

  18. #18
    Two Wheeled Terror
    Reputation: Kryptoroxx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    371

    Re: Bike for a soldier?

    Quote Originally Posted by papaish View Post
    I too have sustained an injury serving overseas (see profile pic) While I went through rehab and being assigned the the Warrior Transition Battalion there are many programs that will work with wounded warriors. One, for example is Road 2 Recovery, it is roadies but you do get a free bike that you can start out on. There is also differant non-profit orginizations that also can assist, Soldiers Angles, Wounded Warrior Project are two that I have used. Asking for free stuff is just that same as standing on the corner with a cardboard sign asking to help a vet. There are well over 200 organizations that help and assist wounded warriors and vets that there should be no one asking for free stuff. Now if your truly serious, find your LBS and see if they have a riding club, buy a MTB from cragslist or any used one and go from there, nobody cares what you ride, just ride and recover. I did.
    Someone pass that man a beer! Well said.

    sent by carrier pigeon

  19. #19
    No Stranger to danger....
    Reputation: Tone's's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    5,520
    If the OP really cares that much they would have been back now, just another scam pulling on peoples heartstrings, pretty sad actually using an excuse like that, congrats to everybody that called it early.
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    8
    No one is calling you a victim...settle down and consider you dont have the full story.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    8
    Really...i just got back from traveling...to find that people like you have a real jackass side. Thx for being so assumptive and adding fuel to a ridiculous fire.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    8
    Thank you...you must be one of the few people on this post with any shred of intelligence or decency. Thank you and I will pass this on to him.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    8
    Yes very little...in his case...and he has a family to support...

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    8
    Dont be so quick to judge my friend...you dont know what you dont know...try being a compassionate human

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    8
    yup...it is ungrateful and really assumptive. Quite disappointing to read people's posts that are really from a place of fear of anger...

    i personally organized angel parties where thousands were donated fr soldiers to receive care packages....you dont who people are so don't always assume the worst in someone...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 19
    Last Post: 04-22-2012, 10:33 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-28-2011, 12:47 AM
  3. Soldier Mountain Idaho
    By Niles in forum Idaho, Montana, Wyoming
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-20-2011, 11:08 AM
  4. Soldier request support in Kirkuk Iraq - bikes, parts donations
    By Dynamo55b in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 101
    Last Post: 05-16-2011, 01:51 PM
  5. Soldier Ride
    By richwolf in forum California - Socal
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-25-2011, 01:22 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •