Results 1 to 36 of 36
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    8

    Bike for a soldier?

    Hey gang!

    I wanted to take a second and post here about a soldier that just recently came back from serving in Afghanistan. He's been through hell over there and is readjusting to life back in the US. He was injured while over in Afghanistan and has had a hell of a time readjusting and getting care.

    He's a former football player and hell of a kid! 21 years old and needs a little love. He just told me he wants to get into mountain biking and ride with his buddies. Problem is...he has no bike! Anyone feeling generous or willing to help him get a bike? We guess he would ride a large to XL frame since hes 6'2 and weighs about 220.

    If you care about helping our soldiers and want to donate to him...send me a line and let me know.

    Cheers!

    Michelle
    Last edited by PortlandBound; 05-11-2013 at 06:32 PM. Reason: spelling!

  2. #2
    No unpermitted erections
    Reputation: Finch Platte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    12,555
    Hey, Michelle, pm me.

  3. #3
    Afric Pepperbird
    Reputation: dirt farmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    4,707

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MSU Alum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,536
    Quote Originally Posted by dirt farmer View Post
    Excellent!

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dickeydoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    367
    I really appreciate your effort to help your friend get started in mtbing. Spending a couple hours out on the trails is a great way to clear your mind. I would just like to say that I'm 6'2" 220lbs and have ridden a few various mtnbkes over the last 20 years and they have all been large frames, xl were always to big. Good luck
    You will be scarred for life if you click my avatar

  6. #6
    I'd rather be on my bike
    Reputation: TenSpeed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    2,497
    Join date: May 2013 and looking for a free bike. Smells fishy unfortunately.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    944
    Quote Originally Posted by PortlandBound View Post
    Hey gang!

    I wanted to take a second and post here about a soldier that just recently came back from serving in Afghanistan. He's been through hell over there and is readjusting to life back in the US. He was injured while over in Afghanistan and has had a hell of a time readjusting and getting care.

    He's a former football player and hell of a kid! 21 years old and needs a little love. He just told me he wants to get into mountain biking and ride with his buddies. Problem is...he has no bike! Anyone feeling generous or willing to help him get a bike? We guess he would ride a large to XL frame since hes 6'2 and weighs about 220.

    If you care about helping our soldiers and want to donate to him...send me a line and let me know.

    Cheers!

    Michelle
    Soldiers do get paid, you know.

  8. #8
    Two Wheeled Terror
    Reputation: Kryptoroxx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    416

    Re: Bike for a soldier?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ailuropoda View Post
    Soldiers do get paid, you know.
    Does sound fishy. I'm active duty and while I didn't get a 3k mtn bike I was able to get into a used bike that is solid. E-5 for reference. Its true we don't get paid much but managing your money is priority #1.
    Now if he's disabled missing an appendage or two and has to have a bike specially made/modified for use there are a couple of organizations working in that field.

    Hate to sound like an unforgiving a$$hat but don't take advantage of people because we are vets. We aren't victims.

    sent by carrier pigeon

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: AlexD.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    9
    That's exactly what I was thinking. Even though he served his country in Afghanistan doesn't mean he is a her/victim that needs to be given everything for free. Why can't he just buy his own bike if he wants to get into MTB?

    Edit: Apologies if that sounded kind of ungrateful, but it's not like a decent bike costs millions...
    Ride the mountain, ride the world

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    944
    Ha ha. Stand by to be flamed. You have gored the sacred cow.

  11. #11
    Two Wheeled Terror
    Reputation: Kryptoroxx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    416

    Re: Bike for a soldier?

    Quote Originally Posted by AlexD. View Post
    That's exactly what I was thinking. Even though he served his country in Afghanistan doesn't mean he is a her/victim that needs to be given everything for free. Why can't he just buy his own bike if he wants to get into MTB?

    Edit: Apologies if that sounded kind of ungrateful, but it's not like a decent bike costs millions...
    Now with that being said if someone said hey is there anyone willing to sell a bike or help a vet find a decent bike for a good price so he doesn't get ripped off....that would be a acceptable request. You're right a decent bike doesn't cost millions. I got mine for 300. Its not perfect but it was a decent price for what I got and it didn't come from a dept. Store

    sent by carrier pigeon

  12. #12
    No Stranger to danger....
    Reputation: Tone's's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    4,596
    Quote Originally Posted by TenSpeed View Post
    Join date: May 2013 and looking for a free bike. Smells fishy unfortunately.
    Agree mate, michelle is probably a 220 pound bloke looking for a free ride, some sort of an introduction and mingle in the community would have been nice, i hope shes legit but i dont buy it for a second.
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

  13. #13
    High Desert MTBer
    Reputation: rockerc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    4,850
    Smells Nigerian to me too...
    It's all Here. Now.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    944
    I wish they'd let me ride the trails at Fort Polk. I'd go in on a bike in exchange for that.

    Barksdale AFB in Bossier City, Louisiana has some pretty good trails but you have to have an ID card to get on base.

  15. #15
    Two Wheeled Terror
    Reputation: Kryptoroxx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    416

    Re: Bike for a

    Quote Originally Posted by Ailuropoda View Post
    I wish they'd let me ride the trails at Fort Polk. I'd go in on a bike in exchange for that.

    Barksdale AFB in Bossier City, Louisiana has some pretty good trails but you have to have an ID card to get on base.
    Same thing here in 29 palms. However I can ride those for another year or so. There aren't a whole lot of trails here to ride within biking distance. A couple hours away in big bear there are tons and down in palm springs I hear there are some awesome trails. I haven't made it to either yet but the summer has just begun.



    sent by carrier pigeon

  16. #16
    I'd rather be on my bike
    Reputation: TenSpeed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    2,497
    OP still only has 1 post. Smells more like a scam now than before.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: papaish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    32
    I too have sustained an injury serving overseas (see profile pic) While I went through rehab and being assigned the the Warrior Transition Battalion there are many programs that will work with wounded warriors. One, for example is Road 2 Recovery, it is roadies but you do get a free bike that you can start out on. There is also differant non-profit orginizations that also can assist, Soldiers Angles, Wounded Warrior Project are two that I have used. Asking for free stuff is just that same as standing on the corner with a cardboard sign asking to help a vet. There are well over 200 organizations that help and assist wounded warriors and vets that there should be no one asking for free stuff. Now if your truly serious, find your LBS and see if they have a riding club, buy a MTB from cragslist or any used one and go from there, nobody cares what you ride, just ride and recover. I did.
    Scott "PAPAISH" Daley

  18. #18
    Two Wheeled Terror
    Reputation: Kryptoroxx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    416

    Re: Bike for a soldier?

    Quote Originally Posted by papaish View Post
    I too have sustained an injury serving overseas (see profile pic) While I went through rehab and being assigned the the Warrior Transition Battalion there are many programs that will work with wounded warriors. One, for example is Road 2 Recovery, it is roadies but you do get a free bike that you can start out on. There is also differant non-profit orginizations that also can assist, Soldiers Angles, Wounded Warrior Project are two that I have used. Asking for free stuff is just that same as standing on the corner with a cardboard sign asking to help a vet. There are well over 200 organizations that help and assist wounded warriors and vets that there should be no one asking for free stuff. Now if your truly serious, find your LBS and see if they have a riding club, buy a MTB from cragslist or any used one and go from there, nobody cares what you ride, just ride and recover. I did.
    Someone pass that man a beer! Well said.

    sent by carrier pigeon

  19. #19
    No Stranger to danger....
    Reputation: Tone's's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    4,596
    If the OP really cares that much they would have been back now, just another scam pulling on peoples heartstrings, pretty sad actually using an excuse like that, congrats to everybody that called it early.
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    8
    No one is calling you a victim...settle down and consider you dont have the full story.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    8
    Really...i just got back from traveling...to find that people like you have a real jackass side. Thx for being so assumptive and adding fuel to a ridiculous fire.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    8
    Thank you...you must be one of the few people on this post with any shred of intelligence or decency. Thank you and I will pass this on to him.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    8
    Yes very little...in his case...and he has a family to support...

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    8
    Dont be so quick to judge my friend...you dont know what you dont know...try being a compassionate human

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    8
    yup...it is ungrateful and really assumptive. Quite disappointing to read people's posts that are really from a place of fear of anger...

    i personally organized angel parties where thousands were donated fr soldiers to receive care packages....you dont who people are so don't always assume the worst in someone...

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    8
    Really? that is a truly ****ty way to behave...

  27. #27
    Afric Pepperbird
    Reputation: dirt farmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    4,707
    Are you conversing with yourself?

    There is a "reply with quote" on the lower right of every post.

  28. #28
    Two Wheeled Terror
    Reputation: Kryptoroxx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    416

    Re: Bike for a soldier?

    Quote Originally Posted by PortlandBound View Post
    Yes very little...in his case...and he has a family to support...
    I support a family as well with a little one on the way. Our birthday, anniversary, and other holiday celebrations usually are in the form of going out to eat. I only fill my tank on payday and it has to last until the next payday. We only get away about 2 weekends a year and have to pick which family we get to see once a year. WE ARE BROKE. However I don't do handouts. I will not be victimized because I don't get paid ****.

    sent by carrier pigeon

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Motorider228's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    195
    Quote Originally Posted by Kryptoroxx View Post
    WE ARE BROKE. However I don't do handouts. I will not be victimized because I don't get paid ****.

    sent by carrier pigeon
    My Wife and I are both E-5s with no children, so I have little to complain about, but I like your outlook. I have co-workers that feel entitled to every little discount and handout, guys who have never even deployed. I will ask for a discount if I know they offer one, but that is as far as I go. People asking for handouts make all of us in uniform look bad.

  30. #30
    Two Wheeled Terror
    Reputation: Kryptoroxx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    416

    Re: Bike for a soldier?

    Quote Originally Posted by Motorider228 View Post
    My Wife and I are both E-5s with no children, so I have little to complain about, but I like your outlook. I have co-workers that feel entitled to every little discount and handout, guys who have never even deployed. I will ask for a discount if I know they offer one, but that is as far as I go. People asking for handouts make all of us in uniform look bad.
    Agreed. I don't complain about not getting paid enough because its enough for me to take care of my family...and that is priceless. Its also made my marriage pretty strong. We make do and find cheap/free stuff to go do and usually end up having a good time.

    I appreciate discounts if they are given or they go the extra mile to help me out but I don't ask for it and I make damn sure if I can help them in return that I do.

    sent by carrier pigeon

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation: AlexD.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    9
    I am not in a comparable situation as you guys, Motorider and Kryptproxx, but I pay you my honest respect. Trust in your own strength and don't let yourselves be victimized, I like your attitude and way of thinking!

    PortlandBoun, what's up, man?? At first I thought something wasn't displayed properly due to all those short posts one after the other....
    Ride the mountain, ride the world

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    3
    I have a couple of questions.
    1. What state does he live in and why is it so hard for him to get care?
    2. What is his current status? (active, reserve, retired, medical discharge)
    3. What is his employment situation? My little bro came back and cant get a job, but that is because he is a lazy pile of dog doo.

    I realize that a lot of our guys arent getting cared for properly, but it generally isnt due to a lack of available care. More often it is because no one has informed them of where to go and who to talk to. If he is having emotional/mental difficulties with his redeployment, he needs to talk to Army Once Source about getting some counseling. We dont need anymore vets going off the deep-end and becoming statistics. Getting some mental health care is a bit more important than help getting a MTB.

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Awshucks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    631
    This may be a legit story and the OP and vet buddy may just be taking this avenue to obtain a donation rather than use the other ones that you all know are available to veterans. However, if I had a bike to give I would be very critical in responses to my questions because the OP should know this is a rather unconventional way to ask for free stuff.

  34. #34
    No Stranger to danger....
    Reputation: Tone's's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    4,596
    OP i think its a better idea you just throw another 'angel' party for him and raise thousands as you say you do that way instead of coming on a forum and with your first post giving the mtbr community a sob story to get something free, its a really poor look, cheers and give my regards to the Angels.

    P.S why cant the Angels help you out, they gotta have more clout than us, after all they are angels.....
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    266
    Quote Originally Posted by PortlandBound View Post
    Really? that is a truly ****ty way to behave...
    OK Francis......lighten up.

    You are making yourself look like a fool. Either you are some kid trying to do a good deed, or you are a lazy mess that is trying to get something for free.

    If you are a kid, your mom wants you off the computer and to get ready for bed.

    If you are the lazy mess, SHUT UP.

    If your friend was in the military, I will bet, he would bust you in the mouth if he new you were making him look like a charity case.

    I know this, because I too was active duty. U.S. MARINE CORPS

  36. #36
    Two Wheeled Terror
    Reputation: Kryptoroxx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    416

    Re: Bike for a soldier?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bdabike View Post

    If your friend was in the military, I will bet, he would bust you in the mouth if he new you were making him look like a charity case.

    I know this, because I too was active duty. U.S. MARINE CORPS
    I definitely would.

    sent by carrier pigeon

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 19
    Last Post: 04-22-2012, 10:33 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-28-2011, 12:47 AM
  3. Soldier Mountain Idaho
    By Niles in forum Idaho, Montana, Wyoming
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-20-2011, 11:08 AM
  4. Soldier request support in Kirkuk Iraq - bikes, parts donations
    By Dynamo55b in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 101
    Last Post: 05-16-2011, 01:51 PM
  5. Soldier Ride
    By richwolf in forum California - Socal
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-25-2011, 01:22 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •