Beer Please! SuperModerator

Bike Share Service Dumps bikes as they leave Dallas Market

https://jalopnik.com/mountain-of-rid...g-c-1828156808

It is hard to tell in the picture if any of those frames are able to be rebuilt, but i cannot image all those bikes are beyond repair to the point where they need to be dumped for scrap metal.

Ofo claims the best bikes were donated to charity.

I see at least one front wheel that looks usable.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

Know these before you post:
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    e-bike sub-forum rules

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Those bikes seem to qualify as BSOs (bicycle shaped objects) and aren't something that most of us would be caught dead on. Although, given typical Chinese quality, we could likely die on.
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post

It is hard to tell in the picture if any of those frames are able to be rebuilt, but i cannot image all those bikes are beyond repair to the point where they need to be dumped for scrap metal.

Yep, more like whoever they contracted to run their business in the area just dumped the bikes instead of actually trying to do something useful with them. Hardly surprising for a company going out of business.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Our local bike share that started up just over a year uses Devinci bikes! The components are somewhat proprietary to discourage theft. Not bad bikes. Its a much more thought out service though with dock systems.

poser Administrator

I am worried in Seattle of the same thing. Ofo is pulling out and the other 2 companies haven't publicly stated whether they will pay the $250k/year fee to stay in this market. So much waste and wasted effort.

Contains no juice.
    Quote Originally Posted by rockcrusher View Post
    I am worried in Seattle of the same thing. Ofo is pulling out and the other 2 companies haven't publicly stated whether they will pay the $250k/year fee to stay in this market. So much waste and wasted effort.
    $250,000 to stay in the market? Seriously?!?
    Collusion!

poser Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    $250,000 to stay in the market? Seriously?!?
    Yup, yup. That is a lot of 30 minute rentals to just break even much less make a profit, especially in a place where the seasons dictate how much these get used. I see a small percentage of use of these bikes in winter than I see from April through October.

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...wn-bike-lanes/

Beer Please! SuperModerator
    With fees like that from the City you have to wonder if the city is trying to drive those services out of town through fees instead of legislation.

Personally I am fine with it as the bike sharing bikes here in San Diego make a mess as people just leave them everywhere and anywhere.

My wife works in the Low Vision field and she said that advocates for the Blind HATE these services as they are super dangerous for blind people as they move about on foot.

It is a cool idea, but too many humans are inconsiderate or ignorant to how their actions can affect others.

The ride sharing service where you have to return the bike to a docking station is a better idea IMO, I did it in San Antonio a few years ago and loved it. No you cannot ride up to the business you are wanting to visit, but you can get within a block or two and it is way better than walking the entire distance.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

Know these before you post:
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    e-bike sub-forum rules

poser Administrator
    With fees like that from the City you have to wonder if the city is trying to drive those services out of town through fees instead of legislation.

Personally I am fine with it as the bike sharing bikes here in San Diego make a mess as people just leave them everywhere and anywhere.

My wife works in the Low Vision field and she said that advocates for the Blind HATE these services as they are super dangerous for blind people as they move about on foot.

It is a cool idea, but too many humans are inconsiderate or ignorant to how their actions can affect others.

The ride sharing service where you have to return the bike to a docking station is a better idea IMO, I did it in San Antonio a few years ago and loved it. No you cannot ride up to the business you are wanting to visit, but you can get within a block or two and it is way better than walking the entire distance.
    Seattle had their own docked bike share that failed. Too many months were they sat dormant. They set up this pilot program to see if outside companies could make a go of it, but also banned e-scooter share outright based on the SF experiment. Considering they have to pull them out of the Sound and numerous canals and lakes regularly I suspect they are doing the same. Price it high, if the company stays and pays it helps them offset the maintenance required by the city to ensure that the environment is not completely spoiled by bad users.

From what I have seen the electric versions are the most used but also are the most damaged. Many a time I have passed one on the street hearing loud wailing noises coming from the motor.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    the share bike system works brilliantly in London as the docks are so common. Never had to look at the app to find a place to get a bike or return it, just ride a couple of blocks and you'll find one. It'll never work in my city, Sydney. It's got too many local councils who can't cooperate on anything to get dock density to make it work hence all but one of the half a dozen dockless companies who moved in last year are closing down.