Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Bike repair shop

I took my bike to a local lbs to have the brakes bled on Monday. They told me 3 days. What is a reasonable amount of time to give them to bled brakes?

Alucke

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Depends on how busy they are. The brake bleeding process itself probably takes 30 minutes to an hour. Its not the hardest thing to do.

bumbles bounce
    You could get a bleed kit in that amount of time and DIY. Being the beginning of summer it's not unrealistic the shop is slammed. Lots of people taking vacas now that school's basically out. Maybe try another lbs. Really they're not hard to do if you invest in the kit and follow directions closely. Plus if you're on a trip your setup.

mtbr member
    i just concerned, because they told me 3 days, and its taking longer than expected. I also think that if they told me 3 days, then it should be done in that amount of time.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by alucke View Post
    i just concerned, because they told me 3 days, and its taking longer than expected. I also think that if they told me 3 days, then it should be done in that amount of time.
    I bought new tires I had problems with getting a tire bead seated right. I took it my LBS and it took a week for a 5 minute job. Its just the way it is. If they're slammed, then things will take longer. Just be understanding and don't worry. Call them and check on it.

check your six
    If you brought your bike to my shop today for a bleed, I'd tell you 7-10 days because we are backlogged like crazy. It is summer time and people are riding bikes and getting them repaired. It happens every spring/summer. You know, the shops get busy. If your in a hurry your best bet is to do a bit of Google-Fu and learn how to do the bleed yourself. I think your just being impatient.
    "We can always find excuses if we want to find them, but if we really want to do something, we have to just go."

mtbr member
    May 2011
    6-8 days turn around time here. The job takes 30 min max, but there are 60 other people with bikes in the queue which each take 30 min as well.

Not sure why people never bring bikes in for tunes in February when we're sitting twiddling our thumbs and can do service while you wait. Instead there is a mad rush in April/May and people complain about wait times.
    2015 Scott Foil Team Issue
    w/ Sram Red

2014 Lapierre ProRace 729

I am employed by a bike shop.

mtbr member
    Sorry if I sound impatient, but if someone told you that something at your house would be done in 3 days, and it wasn't. Wouldn't you guys get impatient, yes you would. So please stop bashing someone, cause they were told that something would be done in 3 days. I own a computer business, and if i say something will be completed in 3 days, your darn right, it will be done in 3 days. Or i wouldn't be in business. I think its bad business practice to tell someone that the service they require will be done in 3 days, and its not.

mtbr member
    Sorry if I sound impatient, but if someone told you that something at your house would be done in 3 days, and it wasn't. Wouldn't you guys get impatient, yes you would. So please stop bashing someone, cause they were told that something would be done in 3 days. I own a computer business, and if i say something will be completed in 3 days, your darn right, it will be done in 3 days. Or i wouldn't be in business. I think its bad business practice to tell someone that the service they require will be done in 3 days, and its not.
    I don't think anyone was bashing anyone. We're just offering up reasons and our experiences. There is a lot that can go wrong in a bike shop just like any other repair shop. Not necessarily with your bike, but possibly a bike that was there before yours. Maybe someone called in sick and they didn't have enough mechanics on hand to keep up with the time frame. I understand getting frustrated. I'm in a business (graphic designer) where everything is on a deadline, but everything usually has to go as planned to keep most deadlines. Thats just the nature of my business.

Say you're working on a computer and, by accident, you fry a hardware component. Now you have order a new one that won't get there for 3 days. I'm just saying...shits been known and will happen.

mtbr member
    All shops are run differently and a 3-4 day turn around time seems fairly typical. Also typical are backlogs and un-met deadlines, but hopefully you at least got a courtesy call so you didn't have to drive across town for nothing.

I ran a busy service shop and we shot for a 24 hour turn around time on most repairs- especially easy ones, but we busted some serious @ss. The last thing I wanted to do was warehouse someone else's bike for a week and a half.

mtbr member
    They told me 3 days, if they found out that they couldn't do in 3 days after I dropped my bike off, don't u guys think it's common business practice to call the consumer and let them know that things have changed and they actually can't have it done in 3 days. I never received such a call. It's called good business practice

mtbr member
    They told me 3 days, if they found out that they couldn't do in 3 days after I dropped my bike off, don't u guys think it's common business practice to call the consumer and let them know that things have changed and they actually can't have it done in 3 days. I never received such a call. It's called good business practice

in a perfect world...
    2014 Nail Trail 29er

29ers Forever
    I've had my bike in a LBS to replace the crankset and it took a week when they said it would take 4 days.
    Although I have received parts they had ordered in 2 days.
    2013 Trek Cobia- 29er
    2015 Raleigh Misceo- Gravel bike
    2013 Trek 3700 Disk- 26er
    1994 Cannondale R300- narrow tire roadie

mtbr member
    If you dropped it off on Monday, isn't three days only due today?

You seem to be livid that they haven't done it when they might have it done in the morning, which will only be one evening later. Did you make it totally clear that they HAD to be done for Thursday collection?

Also, I seriously doubt that, working in IT, you're 'never' late (even by a few hours) in delivering on a completion date/time? I.T. is one of the most easily-delayed businesses out there due to so many variables and complexities.

I can only guess that you either give over-inflated estimates or have no need for sleep... although the stress of 'always' hitting deadlines seems to have stoked anger for anyone else who does not match your perfection.

Chill; they'll probably call you in the morning (assuming it's too late for them to still call you today, i.e. on time?).

mtbr member
    I dropped off first thing Monday morning.

mtbr member
    I am not livid

mtbr member
    I was just asking questions.

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    When this happens to me - I wished I could just open a repair-only shop, with lots of spare parts...
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    No pickup date/time noted on the repair tag? Unless a time is specified any day referenced is usually assumed to mean by the end of that day.

mtbr member
    This is my first time dealing with hydraulic brakes, and this bike shop. As the lbs in my town knows nothing about how to bleed hydraulic brakes. So thanks for all the feed back, whether it was positive or negative.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009

A well run business should get things done as promised to the customer. If they told you 3 days then they should get it done in three days and if they can't, they owe you a call on the 3rd day with an apology and a new date of when it will be done. People can make excuses all they want because the bike shop is busy, but the bike shop could have said 4 or 5 days but they said 3 so they should do everything they can to get it done and communicate well with the customer. That's how you run a good business and it doesn't matter if it's a bike shop, a car repair shop, a vacuum repair shop or a computer repair shop. That's basic business ... UNDER PROMISE AND OVER DELIVER. And, keep in mind when you pick up your bike they'll expect to be paid IN FULL before they give you your bike. Try telling them you want the bike now and you can give them 2/3 of the money now and another 1/3 in a day or two or when it's ready and see how THEY react. Some businesses become chronic excuse makers because they constantly over promise and under deliver.
    Are you really sure about that?

mtbr member
    Very true, in the business I am, if we can't make a deadline, whether it be our fault or something unforeseen, we always make an effort to call the consumer and explain why we can't keep the date we promised. And 99% of the time, the consumer always understands. And sometimes we give them a little discount because of it, and the consumer really appreciates a discount off the price.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Very true, in the business I am, if we can't make a deadline, whether it be our fault or something unforeseen, we always make an effort to call the consumer and explain why we can't keep the date we promised. And 99% of the time, the consumer always understands. And sometimes we give them a little discount because of it, and the consumer really appreciates a discount off the price.

Absolutely, that's just good business practices. I think a lot of people perhaps on this site work at bike shops or own them or whatever and kinda side with the bike shop because they're busy, etc. But, It's just the right thing to do -- get the job done on time or call the customer and let them know what the situation is and maybe offer some kind of 15% discount on merchandise when they pick up their bike as a thank you for their understanding. In the business I was in if we didn't deliver what we promised, the customer would absolutely tear us apart. We had no choice but to get stuff done on time. Thankfully, I have a great bike shop in my town that's run really well and they get stuff done on time and communicate really well with estimates and updates and they are always busy. It's not impossible to run a bike shop like a real, professional business that treats the customer the right way.
    Are you really sure about that?

mtbr member
    Don't get me wrong the bike shop in my town is awesome too. I ordered my frame, component, and they built my bike. I will keep going there, but their shortcoming is hydraulic disc brakes, because it's a small locally owned, not one of those big corporate bike shops. And they also treat consumers right.

mtbr member
    I recently too my bike to get a free lifetime tuneup because my front derail-er wasn't shifting well. I bought the bike there 14 years ago. Well, I was there at the right time as they weren't busy. They did my bike while I waited. Considering the age of the bike they didn't even ask for proof that I purchased it there. But I do have the original receipt anyway.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast