Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by alucke View Post
    Don't get me wrong the bike shop in my town is awesome too. I ordered my frame, component, and they built my bike. I will keep going there, but their shortcoming is hydraulic disc brakes, because it's a small locally owned, not one of those big corporate bike shops. And they also treat consumers right.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk
    Kinda surprising that any bike repair shop these days wouldn't be able to bleed hydro brakes, given that 90% of all good mountain bike sold today has hydro's. It's not really that difficult of a procedure. Maybe if they just specialize in servicing road bikes but I've never heard of a bike shop that can't bleed breaks these days.
    Are you really sure about that?

mtbr member
    The bike shop in my town is on the local rails to trails bike trail. And 80% of the bikes they repair have mechanical, or v- brakes. I talked with the owner about hydraulic disc brakes, and he stated that once he has more consumers with hydraulic disc brakes, he will have his bike technicians trained to do hydraulic brake service. But now it's not financially sound business to do hydraulics brakes.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I think there were definitely some great thoughts/reasoning for why shops are busy at certain times of the year. I think if we all think about it, we should have our bikes serviced over the winter or before the nice weather hits. To me, it's simply common sense. Living in Maine, I wouldn't expect to have my furnace serviced once the cold snap hits; as I know that I am going to wait until I can fit into their schedule.

Many shops offer specials on maintenance over the slower months, so hopefully this will be a lesson to all of us in the future.

mtbr member
    Sorry, but ur wrong. Even if a bike shop is very busy, they shouldn't specifically tell someone 3 days, and not honor the commitment. It's quite simply bad business practice. I'm in the IT business, and I'll try my hardest to keep my promise, and if I can't, I will call and explain why. And I am sorry, but I think most of the people on this forum, do not know what good business practice means and most don't own their own business. So to have these people tell me to expect it, even without a call explaining why they can keep their promised time, is bullcrap.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ridebikeme View Post
    I think there were definitely some great thoughts/reasoning for why shops are busy at certain times of the year. I think if we all think about it, we should have our bikes serviced over the winter or before the nice weather hits. To me, it's simply common sense. Living in Maine, I wouldn't expect to have my furnace serviced once the cold snap hits; as I know that I am going to wait until I can fit into their schedule.

Many shops offer specials on maintenance over the slower months, so hopefully this will be a lesson to all of us in the future.
    The bike shop asked for 3 days to do a 1 hour job and didn't get it done on time. It's a pretty simple situation. Didn't call to apologize or update the customer. Pretty cut and dried case of crummy service. For a million different reasons, sometimes we can't get the service or don't even need it in the winter. The shop is open, gladly taking service jobs and promises the job in 3 days but fails to deliver as promised.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I definitely agree that the LBS should have called, and definitely don't dispute that.

Alucke, like you I own my own business as well and would definitely call my customers if something should arise. But as a shop owner, I can also tell you that sometimes things happen that we have no control over.

I don't know what the situation is with the shop, but instead of airing everything here online, I think the LBS and the customer should talk...

I hope that this situation is resolved here soon, so that everyone is happy.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I"ve made a few posts to this thread because I find it interesting how many people seem to want to make excuses for the bike shop when obviously they made a big mistake. Any owner of any bike shop can EASILY train their people to call customers when they can't meet their delivery commitments. If that becomes a habit of the business, then it gets done 99.9% of the time. Saying they were "too busy" is ridiculous. All businesses are expected to deliver on their promises, even busy bike shops. If they're busy, then tell the guy up front it could take 5 days and to bring the bike in in a few days. How hard is that? A quick phone call, text or email is easy to do and good customer service and obviously, this shop screwed up. So why so many people making excuses for them? Is a bike shop somehow "different" from all other businesses in terms of customer service? I assume they do assume to be paid in full when the customer picks up his bike, right? I mean they're not doing these repairs for free? It's an obvious case of sloppy service and lack of good management of the business.

I didn't do it
    So let me get this straight, the OP brings his bike in for repair Monday morning and is told that it'll be done in 3 days. So that would put the "deadline" at Thursday morning. Thursday morning rolls around, he doesn't hear from the shop and starts a thread complaining? That right there smells funny. OK, I'll bite, he doesn't have it back yet. Big deal, it'll be done Friday. If not then it'll be more of an issue. But did you even call and inquire what the holdup is? Things happen, holdups happen, I'm not so sure I would be expecting a call in this situation-yet. So far I don't see a problem. Actually I question the veracity of this story, given the questionable timing of this thread. I'm always wary of these "my LBS sucks" threads.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted
    Remember, commas save lives

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Mookie View Post
    So let me get this straight, the OP brings his bike in for repair Monday morning and is told that it'll be done in 3 days. So that would put the "deadline" at Thursday morning. Thursday morning rolls around, he doesn't hear from the shop and starts a thread complaining? That right there smells funny. OK, I'll bite, he doesn't have it back yet. Big deal, it'll be done Friday. If not then it'll be more of an issue. But did you even call and inquire what the holdup is? Things happen, holdups happen, I'm not so sure I would be expecting a call in this situation-yet. So far I don't see a problem. Actually I question the veracity of this story, given the questionable timing of this thread. I'm always wary of these "my LBS sucks" threads.
    I wish all of my customers were as understanding as you are!!!

I can identify with the OP's frustration as I recall last Summer, I had a mountain biking road trip scheduled so I brought my bike in on Wed to get a new BB put in. Shop told me I'd have it back Thurs early afternoon, no problem. I was leaving Fri morning so all is good. So I show up Thurs to pick it up and they haven't even started on my bike and the guy at the shop casually says they got busier than expected and it will take "another day or two" to get to it. No phone call to warn me, just a casual, "hey bro, we got busy and the owner took a few days off" kinda attitude. I grabbed my bike, went to another bike shop and explained my "emergency" situation and they put my bike on the stand, installed the new BB and I was outta there in an hour. As a result, guess which shop gets ALL my business? Treating commitments you make to customers in a casual way is bad business whether it's the bike business or any other business.

Warrior's Society
    Quote Originally Posted by MSLKauai View Post
    I wish all of my customers were as understanding as you are!!!

I can identify with the OP's frustration as I recall last Summer, I had a mountain biking road trip scheduled so I brought my bike in on Wed to get a new BB put in. Shop told me I'd have it back Thurs early afternoon, no problem. I was leaving Fri morning so all is good. So I show up Thurs to pick it up and they haven't even started on my bike and the guy at the shop casually says they got busier than expected and it will take "another day or two" to get to it. No phone call to warn me, just a casual, "hey bro, we got busy and the owner took a few days off" kinda attitude. I grabbed my bike, went to another bike shop and explained my "emergency" situation and they put my bike on the stand, installed the new BB and I was outta there in an hour. As a result, guess which shop gets ALL my business? Treating commitments you make to customers in a casual way is bad business whether it's the bike business or any other business.

So you went to another shop....explained your emergency and they did the work right then and there......

Now.....my bike doesn't get done in time because I got bumped back so they could help you.....even though my bike was already on the schedule. Now you do this several times a day.....and now you can understand how things don't get done in the stated time frame.

See how that works.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikej View Post
    So you went to another shop....explained your emergency and they did the work right then and there......

Now.....my bike doesn't get done in time because I got bumped back so they could help you.....even though my bike was already on the schedule. Now you do this several times a day.....and now you can understand how things don't get done in the stated time frame.

See how that works.
    Maybe you're assuming something that simply isn't true. The shop that did my emergency repair had 4 bike mechanics working at the time, the place was clean, professional attitude and you could just feel that stuff was getting done efficiently -- totally different vibe from the other shop. And, I've used the "new" shop for several other repairs and always get a call or text to let me know it's done, work has always been done on time and the one time I had to bring my bike back because the rear shock didn't feel right after their repair, they gave me a voucher for a free demo. Their shop is always busy and has a great reputation in town. And, they're not the cheapest alternative either. There's no secret to running a good business. Hire good people, train them well, set up high standards for how to deal with customers and manage it tightly. Some bike shops, honestly, give you the feel that they're being run as some kind of high school juvenile delinquent reform project.

I didn't do it
    Don't leave us hanging OP, did you get your bike back from the shop?
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted
    Remember, commas save lives

mtbr member
    Sorry, been very busy, yes got my bike back.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I would have called them because I have had times where shops are so busy they forget to call to let you know it's finished. But that's only happened once.

Also, beer.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2