Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Bike Racks as Car Bling

Every time I see a "nice" bike rack on a car, I have to look at the occupants to size them up. Just seeing if I think I can beat them on the trail or not.

However, 9 out 10 times I see people I know don't ride. They physically look terrible. I guess it's sort of a let down for me cause I'm always looking for more folks to ride with. I did have a fat guy smoke me once when I first started riding so maybe I shouldn't profile. He moved good for someone his size.

I wonder though how many people buy expensive bike racks just for looks. It seems like those really into cycling have a bike that cost more than their rack (duh) and those who aren't have a rack that cost more than all their bikes combined.

mtbr member
    Then, it seems, that the moral of the story is "everyone" likes a nice rack.
    There... I got it in first!

I didn't do it
    If I understand your statistics, 90% of people who have nice bike racks don't ride? At least in my area it's the opposite, most of the people with nice bike racks seem to be at least fairly decent riders. But more importantly why do you care? This has never crossed my mind until now.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted
    Remember, commas save lives

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I think its great! If the "Fred's" didn't buy the high end racks and other product imagine how much more expensive it would be for the rest of us.

Big Mac

Bike Racks as Car Bling

I wonder why anyone would care?

Elitest thrill junkie
    I can't understand how a bike rack looks "good" on a car, it's like putting an erector set on there or CB antenna, yet, I suspect there are people out there that think attaching a bunch of random bars to add drag looks "good". Maybe it's a status symbol or some other thing. I have nothing against racks (well, roof racks have seen their day for the most part, but if you use it, that's what it's for), but if I don't have to transport a bike I'll take a rack-less car all day and every day.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Professional Crastinator
    I dunno... If you do it right, it looks OK.

Bike Racks as Car Bling-md_lamborghini-gallardo-bike-rack.jpg

Bike Racks as Car Bling-bike-rack.jpg

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

Chicken or egg? Moderator
    Would it be better if mom and pop that take themselves and/or their kids for a leisurely ride on the local multi-use trails had a crappy rack that was a risk of either the bikes (because of poor loading mech) or even the rack itself tumbling across the highway in front of our cars?

Curious also how you can tell by looking at a person that they don't ride? Not everyone can be a gnarly mountain biker like the people on this forum. If someone's idea of riding is the occasional stroll down along a beach path that gets them outside instead of sitting on the couch watching TV, good for them.

Quote Originally Posted by ironsinker View Post
    Every time I see a "nice" bike rack on a car, I have to look at the occupants to size them up. Just seeing if I think I can beat them on the trail or not.

However, 9 out 10 times I see people I know don't ride. They physically look terrible. I guess it's sort of a let down for me cause I'm always looking for more folks to ride with. I did have a fat guy smoke me once when I first started riding so maybe I shouldn't profile. He moved good for someone his size.

I wonder though how many people buy expensive bike racks just for looks. It seems like those really into cycling have a bike that cost more than their rack (duh) and those who aren't have a rack that cost more than all their bikes combined.
    Nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I have learned long ago to never judge a rider, or runner or anything else really, by appearance alone. I have seen 6', 165lb 20 year olds with the latest gear that look like they came strait from pro circuit hacking up a lung 5 minutes into a "Social Pace" ride. I have also seen 300lb slobs that look like they get their exercise by walking from the couch to the fridge and sporting entry level hard tails from 10 years ago absolutely hammer it. Up hill, down hill, rock gardens whatever.

You really cant tell by a quick look at someone in the window while driving down the highway what kind of rider they are. It still boggles my mind sometimes how far off some people are from what you would expect by looking at them. Every time I get passed on a rocky technical climb by someone clearly over weight all I can think is DAMN how fast would they be if they wern't pushing an extra 50 up that hill??? And we worry about grams...

mtbr member
    Oh great. Not only am I being judged by my fairly expensive bike at the trailhead, but also by the rack on which I choose to carry my bike there ...
    '11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Do guys really stand around and compare racks?

Token Hillbilly
    My T2 has been outside in the elements for 5 years. Not much bling there.
    Trying to win hearts and minds, but willing to stomp them if necessary.

mtbr member
    They are better riders than you and they make more money than you. They are rubbing you broke slow-ass face in it.
    I'm sick of all the Irish stereotypes, as soon as I finish this beer I"m punching someone

ozz
    mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Tystevens View Post
    Oh great. Not only am I being judged by my fairly expensive bike at the trailhead, but also by the rack on which I choose to carry my bike there ...
    I also judge people by the car they drive. Audi or BMW = poseur

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmb65 View Post
    I wonder why anyone would care?
    Because many of the ricer cars in SoCal that have them are purely for aesthetic reasons. And, its common for these Ricer's to acquire these racks by prying them off the roof of actual cycling enthusiasts. Imagine walking outside to load your bike only to find scrapes and dents left from the screwdriver they used to wedge the feet off your roof. I can't wait for this fad to end.

mtbr member
    I don't have a bike rack fixed to any of our cars (use a hitch rack) and even sometimes the bike(s) go on the trunk so I don't judge based on that, also many bike path riders have very expensive racks on their cars to haul a wally world bike.

Also have experience roof rack theft before so even if I had it won't leave it on the car just to show off, it also kills the MPGs even with the fairing.

Big Mac

Bike Racks as Car Bling

Ok. If you say so. What's a ricer?

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleas View Post
    I dunno... If you do it right, it looks OK.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	md_lamborghini-gallardo-bike-rack.jpg 
Views:	253 
Size:	86.2 KB 
ID:	908782
    No, it doesn't. It looks like a Lamborghini with some sort of building frame attached to it.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Bike Racks as Car Bling-rack.jpg
    Here's my blingy rack doing double duty on my blingy car, and yes to the OP unless your way slow you could smoke me on the trail. BTW the bike is probably worth more than the car and the garbage cans combined.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    It's a subculture of the JDM fad to have roof rack and trays on imports. I've seen them and even have asked what they use it for. Their answer is "it's for looks, nothing more".

EMBA Member
    During high school in San Diego, there were a couple girls in our class that had surf racks on their cars. Not only did they not surf, I never saw them in the ocean beyond their knees. They did look ultra fine in their bikini's though, so we only made fun of them behind their backs. You never want to burn a bridge you haven't yet crossed, or something like that...

I didn't do it
    Quote Originally Posted by the-one1 View Post
    It's a subculture of the JDM fad to have roof rack and trays on imports. I've seen them and even have asked what they use it for. Their answer is "it's for looks, nothing more".
    Man, I must be way behind the times. Did not know this.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted
    Remember, commas save lives

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ironsinker View Post

So how exactly would you size someone up and determine you can "beat" them on a trail?

Solely based on how they "physically look terrible"?
    Put a mountain biker in a room with 2 bowling balls and we'll break one and lose the other - GelatiCruiser

mtbr member

Bike Racks as Car Bling

Quote Originally Posted by Mookie View Post
    Man, I must be way behind the times. Did not know this.
    This has been going on for years. Thule racks were a popular hip hop car accessory 10 years ago around here. Of course, none of them were skiers. It was completely uncool unless you had the fairing though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    NEMBA Freetown VP

mtbr member
    Does that mean I'm finally cool? Or am I NOT supposed to own a bike?

Bike Racks as Car Bling-wp_20140711_18_56_56_pro.jpg

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast