mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Bike Purchase Advice 2003 Kona Stinky primo

I found a kona stinky Primo on craigslist and I haggled it down for $700 to $450, since I live in MD I dont think the market for old DH bikes is to large and I think that is my advantage here. However I need some other opinions, I asked if the bike had any rust and the guy told me there is a little on the chain and "the handle bar bolts." What do you guys think?
    He says the bike is all stock except for new tires, tubes and brake pads he put on last summer, the bike has been sitting in a garage for years. I am getting it for a friend, it will be his first DH bike, actually it will be his first bike with any sort of suspension. He will be coming with me to some local resort trails, we want to be doing jumps and drops and what not so I thought this would be a good bike, we are young and like to do the big stuff, I got him interested into mountain biking and we really want to progress and get good, is this a good bike? I want something that we can ride hard and put away wet, without breaking the bank. Let me know what you guys think, I would love some expert opinions!
    Here are the pics of the bike:

Life Is Short
    not a bad price but don't go nuts after all it is 9 years old. The stress point on that frame is near that weld on the chain stay, next to the front pivot. I've seen a few cracked there from the 2003-2006 Stinkys. Here is a pic of my 2009, note they curved up the chainstay. Good luck. $450 isnt bad but thats all I would buy it for If I really wanted it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bike Purchase Advice 2003 Kona Stinky primo-dscf0475.jpg.jpeg  

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by EarlyOnAdventures View Post
    I found a kona stinky Primo on craigslist and I haggled it down for $700 to $450, since I live in MD I dont think the market for old DH bikes is to large and I think that is my advantage here. However I need some other opinions, I asked if the bike had any rust and the guy told me there is a little on the chain and "the handle bar bolts." What do you guys think?
    Rust on an aluminum bike is rarely a problem.

If the bolts and chain are rusty you could always change them for new. It's not like they're very expensive to replace.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Thanks fatcat thats good to know, if I will definitely give that a good look when I see the bike in person.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by sprunghunt View Post
    Rust on an aluminum bike is rarely a problem.

If the bolts and chain are rusty you could always change them for new. It's not like they're very expensive to replace.
    Thanks