Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Which bike parts have serial numbers?

In another thread, someone claimed that all parts have serial numbers and that the manufacturers keep a database that lists which parts go to be put on bikes and which parts have gone to go for retail sale...
    I can't find serial numbers on anything except for the frame of my bike so I'm curious how true the above statement is...
    Thoughts?
    Last edited by dirtdan; 01-28-2013 at 07:47 PM.

Your Best Friend
    Is it completely removed from the bike? Most have it printed on surfaces that you can't see while it's installed.

workin' it Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by danhasdrums View Post
    I was told that all parts have serial numbers and I can't find seem to find the serial number on my stem. Where can I look?
    often times it is written, printed or inscribed within the steer tube end. However a lot of times it could have just been in or on the box it came in. Recall issue?
    Try this: HTFU

Flow like water
    You do have the original box, don't you? Otherwise, it could be one of those dreaded take-offs.
    "Head injuries are pretty high-consequence" - AndrwSwitch

mtbr member
    Sorry for me edit making the above responses a little nonsensical. I decided to be more straightforward with the original post.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Every single part/component on a bike has a part/serial number, even the derailleur cable.
    If it's not on the component look on the packaging, bar codes are often used as well on packaging.
    If Shimano sends Trek a derailleur, a serial number would accompany that derailleur even if its in a plastic bag, nothing is sent out of shimano without a part/serial number/barcode. That's why shimano "wants" oem components to go through the bike manufacturer.

mtbr member
    Derailleur cables with serial numbers? You've got to be kidding me. I have a box of 100 SS shimano derailleur cables sitting in my work room. I'll be happy to make some form of wager where I bet that you will be unable to produce the 100 serial numbers of the 100 cables sitting in the box. Are you willing to put your money where your mouth is?

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Derailleur cables with serial numbers? You've got to be kidding me. I have a box of 100 SS shimano derailleur cables sitting in my work room. I'll be happy to make some form of wager where I bet that you will be unable to produce the 100 serial numbers of the 100 cables sitting in the box. Are you willing to put your money where your mouth is?
    No, I'm not kidding. I have a shimano derailleur cable sitting next to me, on the packaging it has a serial number as well as barcodes. So yeah I'm very willing to put my money where my mouth is.
    Everything in your home that is electrical or electronic also has a serial number.
    You don't get it dude, bulk items such as a box of 100 cables will not have 100 serial numbers on it, just the one.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SV11 View Post
    No, I'm not kidding. I have a shimano derailleur cable sitting next to me, on the packaging it has a serial number as well as barcodes. So yeah I'm very willing to put my money where my mouth is.
    Everything in your home that is electrical or electronic also has a serial number.
    You don't get it dude, bulk items such as a box of 100 cables will not have 100 serial numbers on it, just the one.
    I'm guessing you don't know the difference between a part number a SKU and a serial number.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I'm guessing you don't know the difference between a part number a SKU and a serial number.
    I know the difference and lets not go there.
    Look, before I take your money, do this. Go to google, type in shimano sis derailleur cable and then click on images. You will see some pics of cable housing in plastic bags, you'll also see a sticker on it with a serial on it.
    Do you seriously think that I don't know what I"m talking about and making all this up?
    I give up.

mtbr member
    I looked, I could not find any images that clearly showed Serial Numbers and not SKU's or part numbers. Please provide a link/photo of definitive serial number on a cable.

It's a silly argument anyway that is proving my original point correct over and over. In the context of the argument I was told that the manufacturer will reference the serial number of a part with their database, and then they will determine it was an OEM part and then they won't honor the warranty because they will learn that the part was pulled off of a bike. That was the context of all of this. If the serial number isn't on the part, don't you see where your argument completely falls apart? I'm trying to point out how insane this idea is that a manufacturer will have any idea whether a part was OEM or not during a return.
    And, as an added bonus, the item in question in that thread was a stem. And guess what, most stems don't have serial numbers printed on them either... Just as derailleurs, etc...
    So, as I originally stated, once a sale is rung up for a new item, whether it is a pull off or not, the warranty will be honored as neither the manufacturer, retailer or consumer have a way of tracking the history of that part because there is not a unique identifier on the item.

Diggity Dog
    I know the difference and lets not go there.
    Look, before I take your money, do this. Go to google, type in shimano sis derailleur cable and then click on images. You will see some pics of cable housing in plastic bags, you'll also see a sticker on it with a serial on it.
    Do you seriously think that I don't know what I"m talking about and making all this up?
    I give up.
    Description of a box of 50 PTFE coated Shimano Der cables ...

PTFE Der cable cable 1.2 x2000mm box/50
    Manufacturer Part Number: Y60098621
    Country of Origin: JP
    UPC: 689228603073

Absolutely nowhere is there an individual serial number on each cable. The UPC as well as the SKU are often mistaken for serial numbers by those that are unfamiliar with these types of products.

I give up.
    Don't think it ... know it. I don't think you are intentionally making it up but it appears you are mistaking serial numbers for either SKU or UPC codes. It happens.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    many parts don't have unique, traceable serial numbers.

but mcdonalds does have a unique serial for each french fry.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by OGWGFIWRT View Post
    Description of a box of 50 PTFE coated Shimano Der cables ...

PTFE Der cable cable 1.2 x2000mm box/50
    Manufacturer Part Number: Y60098621
    Country of Origin: JP
    UPC: 689228603073

Absolutely nowhere is there an individual serial number on each cable. The UPC as well as the SKU are often mistaken for serial numbers by those that are unfamiliar with these types of products.

Don't think it ... know it. I don't think you are intentionally making it up but it appears you are mistaking serial numbers for either SKU or UPC codes. It happens.
    You obviously don't know how to read as well. Forget barcodes, I'm very sorry for ever bringing that up. You do see the Manufacturer Part number right?
    All along (mostly) I've said it's part/serial number. And you have conveniently skipped over the bit where I said a box of 100 cables will have 1 and not 100 serial/part number.
    Now to put more hurt on you. Here's the definition of barcode, because I seriously doubt you know what it is.

A barcode is an optical machine-readable representation of data relating to the object to which it is attached

Oh, lets not forget that barcodes contain SERIAL NUMBERS as well.
    Most of the products have a bar code which contains the following information
    AI / material UPC code /AI /batch number / AI / expiry date / AI / serial number/ separator

I've had enough of "helping you guys" without a single thanks.

mtbr member
    You obviously don't know how to read as well. Forget barcodes, I'm very sorry for every bringing that up. You do see the Manufacturer Part number right?
    All along (mostly) I've said it's part/serial number.
    Now to put more hurt on you. Here's the definition of barcode, because I seriously doubt you know what it is.

A barcode is an optical machine-readable representation of data relating to the object to which it is attached

Oh, lets not forget that barcodes contain SERIAL NUMBERS as well.
    Most of the products have a bar code which contains the following information
    AI / material UPC code /AI /batch number / AI / expiry date / AI / serial number/ separator

I've had enough of "helping you guys" without a single thanks.
    Part Number does not equal Serial Number.
    Serial number identifies one single unit and is unique. A part number is shared by all parts of the same make/model...
    Notice I have not been insulting to you in these threads, simply stating facts and providing evidence. You should try the same.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Notice I have not been insulting to you in these threads....
    So what are you saying that I did? Why the hell would you even bring that up.
    Unfarknbelievable.
    And how are you going to possibly explain this:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

mtbr member
    That is a personal insult that was between you and I. Not public (until now, thanks for sharing though, I think it's pretty funny).

I'm just going to pretend you finally and humbly conceded that you posted more incorrect things on this forum in a 20 minute time span than anyone who wasn't a pure troll and move on with my life.
    Enjoy and good day.

clown question, bro
    This thread was worse than the big box bikes one.

Soooo... wallgooses? Go!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilikebmx999 View Post
    Are we just ignoring balls? Lol

Diggity Dog
    The McDonalds fries I totally believe. Ronald is watching you.

And now I find out there are super double secret serial numbers on der cables and if Shimano finds out that one shop is trying to pull one over on them by trying to slip through an OEM cable they refuse the warranty. I can picture them checking the data base to determine if this 50 cent cable is OEM or not. The Shimano BOD will then meet to determine the outcome of the dishonest cable warranty. The shop having been caught will then have to go through the bicycle manufacturer which will take care of the problem no hassles. It's all so dastardly.

But that's just the cables, think about all the parts out there without any bar codes, UPC, serial number or any other unique identifying mark which is pretty much everything on the bike. That must be real confusing for all concerned. It's amazing bikes even exist without being festooned with bar codes, serial numbers, UPC codes and the like. I can picture the shop employees now saying "Do we call the part manufacturer or do we call the bike manufacturer? Either of them will warranty the problem. I'm so confused!"

At least I got a great laugh out of just how unbelievably uninformed some people are. You guys aren't wearing tin foil hats are you?

Good times, good times.

Your Best Friend
    I love this forum over the last few days. So much entertainment. It's also amusing to note that it has revolved around just a few members ridiculous comments/ideas.

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    Come on guys, just let it die. The other thread was funny, but this is just getting asinine.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I know specialized and cannondale just add one to the number of logos on their products each time another one comes of the production line. Consequently, you can just count all the logos on your frame or seat or bartape, etc. and the number of logos on that part is a unique serial number.

And yes the Board of Directors definitely gets involved

mtbr member
    Just curious... isn't a serial number meaningless unless it is stamped on the product? What could be the purpose of one on a package?

I've only noticed them on a few high end components but then again I've never really looked for them. At any rate if you buy a part from a bike shop you don't have to worry about any #'s for warranty issues.

workin' it Administrator
    Let it go, agree to disagree, go play in the department store bike thread.
    Try this: HTFU

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    Every single part/component on a bike has a part/serial number, even the derailleur cable.
    If it's not on the component look on the packaging, bar codes are often used as well on packaging.
    If Shimano sends Trek a derailleur, a serial number would accompany that derailleur even if its in a plastic bag, nothing is sent out of shimano without a part/serial number/barcode. That's why shimano "wants" oem components to go through the bike manufacturer.
    No offense, SV, but that's completely false. Bike companies sometimes don't ebpven track what complete BIKES go to individual dealers, forget about parts on said bikes.
    The only serial numbers that actually matter worth a sheet in the bike industry are frames and forks, IMO. And I guess now seatposts. All else is 'taken on faith' in terms of warranty claims.
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast