Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2018

Bike hijackers on trails

I have never experienced this once after a couple dozen times out on the trail. It seems that it's picking up more traffic as the year goes by. Majority of the time its just hikers enjoying their walk in the forest or other fellow mountain bikers.

But this time there were 3 people hiding out on the trail trying to hijack a bike. I was able to see them and it was really suspicious. Once I got a little closer they started sprinting towards me and I'm pretty sure it wasn't to say hi and pat me on my back. I had enough distance and time to turn around and get away. But this sure did get my heart pumping and angry.

I contacted the police about this occurrence. This wasn't the first time I've seen suspicious things on the trail. There were cases of sabotage and logs being hidden and put on the trail around February. I remember having a talk with another mountain biker about a man dug pothole in the middle of a descent. It was pretty obvious someone was messing around with the trails instead of nature taking its course.

I would also like to note this isn't the best place to live. So I don't know about you guys. But so far this last experience really turned me off.

I am Walt
    Walkers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by EthanKasier View Post
    I have never experienced this once after a couple dozen times out on the trail. It seems that it's picking up more traffic as the year goes by. Majority of the time its just hikers enjoying their walk in the forest or other fellow mountain bikers.

But this time there were 3 people hiding out on the trail trying to hijack a bike. I was able to see them and it was really suspicious. Once I got a little closer they started sprinting towards me and I'm pretty sure it wasn't to say hi and pat me on my back. I had enough distance and time to turn around and get away. But this sure did get my heart pumping and angry.

I contacted the police about this occurrence. This wasn't the first time I've seen suspicious things on the trail. There were cases of sabotage and logs being hidden and put on the trail around February. I remember having a talk with another mountain biker about a man dug pothole in the middle of a descent. It was pretty obvious someone was messing around with the trails instead of nature taking its course.

I would also like to note this isn't the best place to live. So I don't know about you guys. But so far this last experience really turned me off.
    Depending where I ride, I often carry a Kimber CDP II Ultra 45, sometimes a spare magazine. On some rides, there is over 50,000 USD over 8 bikes on display. A young girl was murdred on one of my favorite trail that was in a very nice area. That scum is rotting in jail till death. I am ready to protect my party and anyone I encounter in distress. I am not paranoid, just prepared.

mtbr member
    Well. That's completely useless information.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    Useless information like in MSU report on the scum bag doctor that exonerates MSU?

mtbr member
    dont ride alone and carry protection. one of my dads friends was fishing with his wife, and 3 guys came at them real quick. he lifted his shirt up just enough to reveal his gun, they turned and ran

assholes are everywhere

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    y'all mountain biking in detroit?

mtbr member
    I've never heard of it happening in the UK but it has occurred to me that it would be an easy way to steal bikes. Thieves are getting more brazen and bikes more valuable so I think it's inevitable that things like this will happen.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by cameden View Post
    y'all mountain biking in detroit?
    I live near Detroit. It would not happen here. It is way to much effort and too risky to try and take things for free in the woods. No need for me to say more. I'm sure someone can spell it all out if it is needed.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Getting shot is an occupational hazard of being a thief.

mtbr member
    Can't shoot a thief, but if they know that you're armed it does tend to discourage the theft process.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    No one has to know if you did...

Elitest thrill junkie
    You did the right thing, even if you are armed, it's not a reason to have a stand off when you can get away and no one gets hurt (what they teach in CCW classes).

They make bear-spray mounting options for us up here in Alaska that would work excellent for those types of situation, so that something is readily accessible rather than in a pocket or worse, in a pack (excluding wearing something like a chest-holster). The cheap way to do it is cut the top off a water bottle and stick whatever you want in there as insulation and stick the bear-spray canister inside all of that.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedalon2018 View Post
    Depending where I ride, I often carry a Kimber CDP II Ultra 45, sometimes a spare magazine. On some rides, there is over 50,000 USD over 8 bikes on display. A young girl was murdred on one of my favorite trail that was in a very nice area. That scum is rotting in jail till death. I am ready to protect my party and anyone I encounter in distress. I am not paranoid, just prepared.
    ^^^Bingo.

Co Springs
    It's a shame this happens anywhere but knowing about it and being heads-up can sure help. Retreat from a threat or encounter is indeed a smart plan if an option and some states make that a legal requirement versus the armed home or property owner pursing/advancing or even a stand-off. Reality is we know many civilians do have firearms and may or may not be 'trained' in that legal sense or act accordingly under duress / heat of the moment.
    In the Middle Ages, the biggest mistake was not putting on your armor because you were 'just going down to the corner.'

turtles make me hot
    Not to try and sound like a tough guy but my son trains in BJJ and the same instructor teaches me other things. Unless someone has a gun, chances are they aren't getting a bike from us.
    Another one of my friends, who is very unassuming appearing trains in MMA and is very good at fighting multiple attackers. I could only imagine what he's capable of.
    I like turtles

@njcshreds
    Honestly, I usually see more interesting / weird / creepy people riding on rail trails than I do mountain biking in the woods. I suppose I also see a ton more people on rail trails in general.
    Instagram = @njcshreds
    '17 Kona Big Kahuna
    '08 Kona Cowan
    '05 Kona Cowan
    '05 Kona Stab Supreme
    '06 Kona Lisa HT (hers)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    Not to try and sound like a tough guy but my son trains in BJJ and the same instructor teaches me other things.
    Overconfidence can be dangerous as you do not know what you are up against. I knew a karate black belt, who was also a good street fighter, who was stabbed and killed is a fight with some bikers. Multiple attackers, especially if they are armed is a risk for anyone.

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pig View Post
    Overconfidence can be dangerous as you do not know what you are up against. I knew a karate black belt, who was also a good street fighter, who was stabbed and killed is a fight with some bikers. Multiple attackers, especially if they are armed is a risk for anyone.
    Absolutely true.
    I like turtles

DFL
    Meh, if they want the bike they can have it. No bike is worth my life. Having said that, I don't make my self an easy target. I'm still aware of my surroundings, and if a situation doesn't feel right I will turn around and return to where I came from.
    I wouldn't **** you, you're my favorite turd.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by askibum02 View Post
    Meh, if they want the bike they can have it. No bike is worth my life.
    I like my bikes. I would fight for them.

mtbr member
    I often ride alone in Oakland, but I'm a total badass and ride unarmed.

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    Our woods are filled with dangerous squirrels, which I find very distracting.

Co Springs
    Meh, if they want the bike they can have it. No bike is worth my life. Having said that, I don't make my self an easy target. I'm still aware of my surroundings, and if a situation doesn't feel right I will turn around and return to where I came from.
    + 10
    In the Middle Ages, the biggest mistake was not putting on your armor because you were 'just going down to the corner.'

mtbr member
    I absolutely agree. In fact, no bike worth having to even consider taking the thief's life. My bikes are insured.

Where I live, the concept of ever having to defend my life, or my bike, on our local mountain bike trails is almost inconceivable. I have a handgun permit and a lot of training but carrying a gun on the local trails here is just not something that I've considered very often.

Contains no juice.
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    Wow. I'm nervous just replying to this post.
    Collusion!

mtbr member
    Useless information like in MSU report on the scum bag doctor that exonerates MSU?
    Um....yeah....sure?

locked - time out
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by noapathy View Post
    Our woods are filled with dangerous squirrels, which I find very distracting.
    For real though, I ran over one of the little buggers tails, couldnt avoid it. He was very irate.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Nat
    mtbr member
    I canít even stand carrying the extra bulk of my wallet or camelbak on me. I canít picture hitting a drop or throwing a whip on a double jump with a pistol on my hip.

Anyway, my bikes are covered by homeownerís insurance so it would be less hassle to file a claim and go buy a new bike than to fight to the death.

Cycologist
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    How do you steer?
    There are two types of people in this world:
    1) Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data

Cycologist
    I'm a pretty fast runner and our trails are twisty. I'd be real tempted to take a short cut, hide and then ambush them with a big shove off the trail into a tree when they come by. Hope my bike is ok.

locked - time out
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post
    I'm a pretty fast runner and our trails are twisty. I'd be real tempted to take a short cut, hide and then ambush them with a big shove off the trail into a tree when they come by. Hope my bike is ok.
    Make sure to get it on GoPro and you'd be a YouTube superstar.

mtbr member
    How do you steer?
    Maybe a foot unless he's defeated??!!

mtbr member
    I generally find that a 0.50 cal. BMG mounted on the handlebars discourages would-be thieves.
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by adaycj View Post
    I live near Detroit. It would not happen here. It is way to much effort and too risky to try and take things for free in the woods. No need for me to say more. I'm sure someone can spell it all out if it is needed.
    Exactly.

J-

mtbr member
    How do you steer?
    I did not anticipate this response.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pig View Post
    This. Eddie Bravo himself isn't going to win again against three people who want to hurt him. He'll F-up the first guy he gets ahold of and then his buddies will tap dance on his head while he is tied up on the ground with the first guy.

Now if you told me you train in Krav Maga or Muay Thai then you would have a fighting chance against more than one person.

Having been a cop for 2.5 decades and having to had to fight multiple people at a time in real life (more than once, I'm a poop magnet lol) who wanted nothing more than to kill me I can tell you that BJJ etc would not have helped one bit (and I trained BJJ before BJJ was cool).

J-

U sayin' Bolt ?
    Funny there were three of them. I'd like to see them ride away with their prize.

Bike hijackers on trails-4786588588_bbc18837f3_b.jpg

mtbr member
    Wear camo. They'll never see you.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

That Sleestak
    I'm going to develop a helmet mounted pepper sprayer. It'll have a built in face shield that drops down instantly when you activate the sprayer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Picard
    Is that German or Polish sausage?

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornfield View Post
    I'm going to develop a helmet mounted pepper sprayer. It'll have a built in face shield that drops down instantly when you activate the sprayer.
    Whatís your timeline goal to make it to market?
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

That Sleestak
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Whatís your timeline goal to make it to market?
    Before I run into hijackers on the trails.

the half breed devil
    i had some unsavory types make a rush at me in marin county while i was riding the bike path between sausalito and mill valley on the way to mt tam.

marin county is pretty swanky but there are sketchy places.

the fool told me "good move" when i rode straight over a curb to avoid him.

i told him to go f*ck himself.

Quote Originally Posted by shekky View Post
    i had some unsavory types make a rush at me in marin county while i was riding the bike path between sausalito and mill valley on the way to mt tam.

marin county is pretty swanky but there are sketchy places.

the fool told me "good move" when i rode straight over a curb to avoid him.

i told him to go f*ck himself.
    Scary shit, good job on ditching and telling him where he needs to place his junk.
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    If you are seriously carrying a 1911 on the trial, I just hope you are using a holster.

Quote Originally Posted by Cuyuna View Post
    I absolutely agree. In fact, no bike worth having to even consider taking the thief's life. My bikes are insured.
    A person who is trying to take your bike from your immediate control is not just a thief, he is a ROBBER. A robbery is not just a property crime; it is a crime against the victim.

Those of you who think that just giving the robber the property will always keep you from getting harmed or killed are kidding yourselves. For all you know, the robber just did something really terrible and needs your bike to successfully flee. I'm not saying that resisting with force is the only option or even the best option, that depends very much on circumstances. But you should all seriously consider that a robber might have more of a reason to harm you than an opportunistic thief who is just trying to sell your expensive property for cash.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Whatís it like to ride bikes with a sidearm and extra clips on your belt? How do you actually throw the bikes around in the air with all that weight bouncing around? It seems like it would be awkward.

Nutrailer
    Before I run into hijackers on the trails.
    That's made my day
    What a perfect waste of time

mtbr member
    Wait, you guys actually go out on trails and sh1t? I thought this was just a social media "virtual mountain biking" site. Damn!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by twodownzero View Post
    If you are seriously carrying a 1911 on the trial, I just hope you are using a holster.

A person who is trying to take your bike from your immediate control is not just a thief, he is a ROBBER. A robbery is not just a property crime; it is a crime against the victim.

Those of you who think that just giving the robber the property will always keep you from getting harmed or killed are kidding yourselves. For all you know, the robber just did something really terrible and needs your bike to successfully flee. I'm not saying that resisting with force is the only option or even the best option, that depends very much on circumstances. But you should all seriously consider that a robber might have more of a reason to harm you than an opportunistic thief who is just trying to sell your expensive property for cash.
    If you think you're going to get away clean killing an unarmed person who is trying to steal your bike, you (and your lawyer) are going to be very disappointed unless you can clearly articulate the threat to your life that that encounter represented.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    Whatís it like to ride bikes with a sidearm and extra clips on your belt? How do you actually throw the bikes around in the air with all that weight bouncing around? It seems like it would be awkward.
    Who carries extra magazines? In the overwhelming majority of armed self-defense encounters, no more than two shots are fired. The fantasy of protracted gunfights out on the trail (or anywhere) is just that...a fantasy.

Stone Jack Baller
    Dropper face shield!

locked - time out
    Nov 2016
    If you think you're going to get away clean killing an unarmed person who is trying to steal your bike, you (and your lawyer) are going to be very disappointed unless you can clearly articulate the threat to your life that that encounter represented.
    That would depend upon which state it occurs in.

Here, diagonally!
    I'm in on the kickstart for this. Will you have an option for a remote on the bars? Maybe you could integrate with a dropper post lever. Push lever part way to drop post, push all the way to drop face shield and activate sprayer.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Depends where u are at. Middle of nowhere and three people threating you with physical harm unless you given them your property. You very well may be good.

One of them have their hand in their pocket portraying that they have a weapon? youíre good at that point.

When it comes to justifiability the actions of the suspect(s) and the perception of those actions by the shooter are what matters.

Obviously the last thing that anyone wants is to shoot and kill someone but just because someone is ďunarmedĒ doesnít mean they are not easily a threat to your life.

Plus most people will turn and run when faced with a ďvictimĒ with a gun, especially if that is provided as an option.

J-

That Sleestak
    Quote Originally Posted by slowpoker View Post
    Dropper face shield!
    You can be director of marketing!

Quote Originally Posted by JACKL View Post
    I'm in on the kickstart for this. Will you have an option for a remote on the bars? Maybe you could integrate with a dropper post lever. Push lever part way to drop post, push all the way to drop face shield and activate sprayer.
    And now we have a design engineer! We'd have to use Di2 technology to achieve that, which I think is doable.

And now we have a design engineer! We'd have to use Di2 technology to achieve that, which I think is doable.
    At first I was onboard as being just a consumer, but if youíre offering positions can I get in for an interview? Iím booked through the week but have a short window between 2 and 4pm on Friday. Otherwise next week I can open up something early so I donít miss out on the opportunity. My qualifications and position pending what you need of course. I can tweak my qualifications on my resume to fit what you need, call me.
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 4 Weeks Ago at 10:32 AM.

Cycologist

No go on the Di2 tech, according to a certain someone on this site, that would mean using it would make your bike into an ebike. Gonna need a cable. Or maybe hydraulic line.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Who carries extra magazines?
    At least one person:

Depending where I ride, I often carry a Kimber CDP II Ultra 45, sometimes a spare magazine.

One ring to mash them all
    The safe thing to do would be drag the dead perp down the trail, strap them to your vehicle, drive home, drag them into your house and claim the shooting happened there.
    There are three things in the world that deserve no mercy, hypocrisy, fraud, and tyranny.
    - Frederick William Robertson

mtbr member
    Like Hustler?
    That's probably what they were after. Very compelling articles.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jjc155 View Post
    Depends where u are at. Middle of nowhere and three people threating you with physical harm unless you given them your property. You very well may be good.

One of them have their hand in their pocket portraying that they have a weapon? youíre good at that point.

When it comes to justifiability the actions of the suspect(s) and the perception of those actions by the shooter are what matters.

Obviously the last thing that anyone wants is to shoot and kill someone but just because someone is ďunarmedĒ doesnít mean they are not easily a threat to your life.
    Absolutely. All you have to do is sell it to the DA, or maybe a jury. I wonder whether or not (in some areas) defense would be justified under carjacking statutes. In many places, armed self-defense in that circumstance is statutorily stipulated.

Quote Originally Posted by jjc155 View Post
    Plus most people will turn and run when faced with a ďvictimĒ with a gun, especially if that is provided as an option.
    Absolutely. The need to actually fire the thing would generally require a very committed robber. Casual thefts...typically less so.

mtbr member
    At least one person:
    Yes. The protracted gunfight fantasy is fairly common.

locked - time out
    Nov 2016
    Not that it's pertinent to the thread but needing more ammo is only one, and in my opinion a low priority reason, for carrying a spare mag.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to chazpat again.
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tuckerjt07 View Post
    Not that it's pertinent to the thread but needing more ammo is only one, and in my opinion a low priority reason, for carrying a spare mag.
    That's kind of cryptic. What's it mean?

locked - time out
    Nov 2016
    That's kind of cryptic. What's it mean?
    A multitude of things. A bad box of ammo, assuming you load different mags from different boxes, or a magazine induced feed error would be two pressing reasons.

the half breed devil
    Quote Originally Posted by JACKL View Post
    the only way this could happen is via bluetooth...

mtbr member

Rather than carry a spare magazine in relatively low-risk scenarios, I'd be inclined to counsel people to purchase a high-quality firearm, quality magazines, and quality ammunition. The incidence of failure in that regard would be extraordinarily low.

locked - time out
    Nov 2016
    Rather than carry a spare magazine, I'd be inclined to counsel people to purchase a high-quality firearm, quality magazines, and quality ammunition.
    I don't disagree but even with that I don't think my view changes.

mtbr member
    I don't disagree but even with that I don't think my view changes.

Self defense and the means of accomplishing it is a personal decision. So many variables and experiences...likely no right or wrong answer. The need to carry spare magazines is an ongoing discussion on gun forums and in self-defense courses with good opinions on both sides of the issue.

locked - time out
    Nov 2016
    Self defense and the means of accomplishing it is a personal decision. So many variables and experiences...likely no right or wrong answer.
    I agree wholeheartedly.

mtbr member
    This is precisely why I am a former sidearm carrier turned anti-CC laws. I was in the first group of people to get their concealed carry license in my state when it was legalized, and it makes me extremely uncomfortable the amount of people I know with their CC license who don't take the responsibility of carrying a gun seriously. I can't count how many times I have heard people make offhand comments about just shooting someone for any discomfort they may feel, or being completely unrealistic about how a situation may go down if they actually had to pull their gun.

Honestly, I would have been better off NOT going through the class and finding out from experience the mental weight of carrying a firearm. It terrifies me that just about anyone with no serious criminal record could potentially carry a gun into the woods and start ripping off wild shots at someone who they think is a bike thief. Same for anywhere else; restaurants, Target, etc. I have been to the shooting range enough times to know that if a criminal starts mowing people down in public, 99.9% of the population (even if they have a CC permit) have no business trying to equalize the situation.

Cycologist
    Maybe I should have left the rapid rise rear derailleur on my hardtail; thief takes it and as he is pedaling away with me chasing after him (to shove him into a tree), he's shifting wrong and spinning madly as he is slowing down or hits a climb and clicks it into a higher and higher gear.

Kind of like when someone steals a car with no experience driving a stick.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SingleSpeedSteven View Post
    This is precisely why I am a former sidearm carrier turned anti-CC laws. I was in the first group of people to get their concealed carry license in my state when it was legalized, and it makes me extremely uncomfortable the amount of people I know with their CC license who don't take the responsibility of carrying a gun seriously. I can't count how many times I have heard people make offhand comments about just shooting someone for any discomfort they may feel, or being completely unrealistic about how a situation may go down if they actually had to pull their gun.

Honestly, I would have been better off NOT going through the class and finding out from experience the mental weight of carrying a firearm. It terrifies me that just about anyone with no serious criminal record could potentially carry a gun into the woods and start ripping off wild shots at someone who they think is a bike thief. Same for anywhere else; restaurants, Target, etc. I have been to the shooting range enough times to know that if a criminal starts mowing people down in public, 99.9% of the population (even if they have a CC permit) have no business trying to equalize the situation.
    The number of people that go out and buy a gun and then believe that they are now safe from all manner of threats without any self-defense training is indeed distressing and dangerous. On the other side of that coin are those CCW carriers that, with or without training, view themselves as some kind of auxiliary policeman. However, I don't view the unfortunate attitudes of those folks as having anything to do with my decision to have a handgun permit. But yes...carrying a gun is an enormous responsibility. People should take it seriously.

However, it's also true that actual adverse firearms incidents among those folk are rare, and that as the number of CCWs increases in a given area, crime tends to decrease.

That Sleestak
    At first I was onboard as being just a consumer, but if youíre offering positions can I get in for an interview?
    Nope, you don't have the qualifications for fantasy work.

No go on the Di2 tech, according to a certain someone on this site, that would mean using it would make your bike into an ebike. Gonna need a cable. Or maybe hydraulic line.
    Screw that someone, it's a servo! Wait, I think we can actually use that someone for testing purposes, to see what kind of range we can get out of the pepper spray cannon.

mtbr member
    However, it's also true that actual adverse firearms incidents among those folk are rare
    Incidents with CC permit holders on both sides of the argument is rare. In the true spirit of strapping a gun to yourself for the sake of protection though, I say "anything can happen at any time"... including Jethro who took the 4 hour CCW class, barely qualified during the shooting portion and now has a .45 tucked in his waistband shooting at something that he PERCEIVES is a threat.

Also, I am going to challenge you on the whole "more CCW = less crime" thing. I would have to see some hard data on that. People are going to act like idiots no matter what, and I am pretty sure the majority of idiots don't stop to consider that maybe a random guy in the booth across from him at Pizza Hut has a sidearm.

Nope, you don't have the qualifications for fantasy work.
    But, but. . . . you must have missed this part of my post.

My qualifications and position pending what you need of course. I can tweak my qualifications on my resume to fit what you need, call me.

Bike hijackers on trails-d1564e4e-7de3-44c9-9611-92f40fac950e.jpg

Beer Please! SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by EthanKasier View Post

Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    Without explaining where this took place, yes the story is useless.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

Know these before you post:
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    e-bike sub-forum rules

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Somehow I don't think you know who you're talking to about this. The law of self defense in my State doesn't require me to articulate anything. It requires the State to disprove my claim of self defense. I'm not going to stand around and wait for someone who is in the active commission of a felony against my person to determine whether they are "the threat to [my] life." I am going to apply deadly force immediately, because I immediately fear death or serious bodily injury any time a violent felony is in progress and I am the victim. A robbery is not a petty property crime and the statistics regarding the willingness of robbers to kill their victims are sufficiently overwhelming to me that I'm not taking that chance. I have one life.

Unlike the police, there are no constitutional constraints on my use of deadly force. I'm not going to sit around and try to decide how immediate the threat is. The law of self defense requires no such assessment under these circumstances.

A person who is trying to steal my bike from my person is committing a crime against my person, not just my bike. I have insurance for the bike and I don't give a rat's ass about the bike. But I'm not going to give someone an opportunity to use violence against me for a piece of property, either. That absolutely is not happening while I have the means to resist.

mtbr member
    I'm thinking a small potato gun that can fire dog poo baggies. Kill two birds with turds as the saying goes. Free ammo everywhere.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Are all of you guys pedaling around with a gun on your hip (or chest or wherever)? I ask because in 30 years of riding I canít recall actually seeing a single person out mountain biking with a sidearm. Iíve seen bike police officers armed while at work of course but never anyone sport riding out on the trails. If you said yes, where do you live?

the half breed devil
    Are all of you guys pedaling around with a gun on your hip (or chest or wherever)? I ask because in 30 years of riding I canít recall actually seeing a single person out mountain biking with a sidearm. Iíve seen bike police officers armed while at work of course but never anyone sport riding out on the trails. If you said yes, where do you live?
    x 2.

where?

the half breed devil
    Somehow I don't think you know who you're talking to about this. The law of self defense in my State doesn't require me to articulate anything. It requires the State to disprove my claim of self defense. I'm not going to stand around and wait for someone who is in the active commission of a felony against my person to determine whether they are "the threat to [my] life." I am going to apply deadly force immediately, because I immediately fear death or serious bodily injury any time a violent felony is in progress and I am the victim. A robbery is not a petty property crime and the statistics regarding the willingness of robbers to kill their victims are sufficiently overwhelming to me that I'm not taking that chance. I have one life.

Unlike the police, there are no constitutional constraints on my use of deadly force. I'm not going to sit around and try to decide how immediate the threat is. The law of self defense requires no such assessment under these circumstances.

A person who is trying to steal my bike from my person is committing a crime against my person, not just my bike. I have insurance for the bike and I don't give a rat's ass about the bike. But I'm not going to give someone an opportunity to use violence against me for a piece of property, either. That absolutely is not happening while I have the means to resist.

Great, another gun thread.

https://goo.gl/images/mcmwLq

mtbr member
    This thread is a good reminder to pack my light Kershaw and pepper spray when I ride alone. As far as you guys wanting to shoot and kill someone for trying to steal your bike, I'm all for it. Just one less criminal in the world to harm your wife, mother or daughter, because that's what criminals do.

mtbr member

An illuminating screed. Now I know who Iím talking to about this ........ĎMURICA!!!!! F*** YEAH!!!!! Right?

Good luck with that, Cowboy.

mtbr member
    An illuminating screed. Now I know who Iím talking to about this

........ĎMURICA!!!!! F*** YEAH!!!!!
    He clearly just pointing out reality and the truth when it comes to criminals in today's society. Scum bags in groups beat people up for a lot less than a 7K bike and it happens quite often. One punch deaths happen a lot more than you think and yes, they are unarmed and should have been shot in every scenario prior to killing the person without a weapon.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I feel obligated to post this video again of some real life trail highjackers in order to get this thread back on track. Be safe!

https://youtu.be/hi4pzKvuEQM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chicane32 View Post
    He clearly just pointing out reality and the truth when it comes to criminals in today's society. Scum bags in groups beat people up for a lot less than a 7K bike and it happens quite often. One punch deaths happen a lot more than you think and yes, they are unarmed and should have been shot in every scenario prior to killing the person without a weapon.
    I have no problem with the concept of using lethal force to protect my life or the life of another. I even train for it regularly. Absent the threat of death however...they can have my bike. Setting aside the morality of killing someone, the inconvenience of the legal fallout is potentially monumental....(some states more than others). I'd take the inconvenience of replacing my insured bike over the inconvenience of the criminal or civil (or both) legal process any day.

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by cjsb View Post
    I feel obligated to post this video again of some real life trail highjackers in order to get this thread back on track. Be safe!

https://youtu.be/hi4pzKvuEQM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Oh damn. They can hijack my trail any day!
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Now where did I put my rollerskates.
    Cool video.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shekky View Post
    x 2.

where?
    On my rides I typically see a bunch of other people having a good time riding bikes, trail running, hiking, walking dogs, and occasionally riding horses.

turtles make me hot
    On my rides I typically see a bunch of other people having a good time riding bikes, trail running, hiking, walking dogs, and occasionally riding horses.
    Exactly. I even ride at night by myself sometimes.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    That's what we all see 100% of the time. Same goes for walking to our car, getting in and driving away. It doesn't mean that people aren't car jacked or killed getting into their car, either. Most of us don't have a Mountain Lion chase us, but it happened last month in Wa, so no matter how rediculous you think this thread is, it does and will happen.

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    Great, another gun thread.

https://goo.gl/images/mcmwLq
    I was also disappointed that the kickstarter didn't gain more traction. If they developed a whole line of products, I'd go in and casually test their products James Bond style. Should make for a pretty good viral video, no?

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chicane32 View Post
    That's what we all see 100% of the time. Same goes for walking to our car, getting in and driving away. It doesn't mean that people aren't car jacked or killed getting into their car, either. Most of us don't have a Mountain Lion chase us, but it happened last month in Wa, so no matter how rediculous you think this thread is, it does and will happen.
    First of all, I never said this thread was ridiculous; That's your own interpretation. If I thought this thread were ridiculous I wouldn't keep posting.

Second, I want to know where everyone's riding that they feel their life is threatened because in all of the many places I've ridden in the past 30 years I've never felt like I wanted my gun on me (yes I'm a gun owner). Have YOU ever gotten jacked or near-jacked while out biking?

Here, diagonally!
    At first I was onboard as being just a consumer, but if youíre offering positions can I get in for an interview? Iím booked through the week but have a short window between 2 and 4pm on Friday. Otherwise next week I can open up something early so I donít miss out on the opportunity. My qualifications and position pending what you need of course. I can tweak my qualifications on my resume to fit what you need, call me.
    I think we just found our product tester. We need someone to jump out of the bushes and perform mock attacks so we can fine tune the volume, accuracy, and effectiveness of the sprayer. You also will get to appear in our promotional videos. Welcome aboard!

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    An illuminating screed. Now I know who Iím talking to about this ........ĎMURICA!!!!! F*** YEAH!!!!! Right?

Obviously not, since your retort has nothing to do with the merits and simply resorted to insults.

I might also add to my previous comments that in my State, the State must disprove a claim of self defense beyond a reasonable doubt. In other words, the law requires them to prove a negative to the highest standard known to the law.

If you want to be the victim of a violent felony and do nothing about it because the violent felony also involves a taking of property, be my guest.

Fortunately I'm quite confident that my community would never charge a person under those circumstances.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Is it legal in US to shoot these hijackers?

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast