Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Quote Originally Posted by JACKL View Post
    I think we just found our product tester. We need someone to jump out of the bushes and perform mock attacks so we can fine tune the volume, accuracy, and effectiveness of the sprayer. You also will get to appear in our promotional videos. Welcome aboard!
    Great, Iím hired without even tweaking my resume to fit the job requirements. Before I sign and commit I have a few questions of my own.

1] Does this job include an allowance for jumping shoes?

2] Will I be supplied a mini tool kit with an Awesome Strap for the fine tuning of the sprayer?

3] Does the job include a high end mountain bike painted up in camo. to conceal my presence in the bushes?

4] Will I be supplied with the best mtb kit available for a professional look in the promotional videos?

If these demandís are met to the fullest Iíd be happy to join the team, given the salary meets my skillset.
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 07-18-2018 at 07:58 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

Bicycles aren't motorized
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Great, Iím hired without even tweaking my resume to fit the job requirements. Before I sign and commit I have s few questions of my own.

2] Will I be supplied a mini tool kit with an Awesome Strap for the fine tuning of the sprayer?

3] Does the job include a high end mountain bike painted up in camo. to conceal my presence in the bushes?

4] Will I be supplied with the best mtb kit available for a professional look in the promotional videos?

If these demand are met to the fullest Iíd be happy to join the team.

My thinking is that they need someone that resembles a mugger or hobo. Take it as you will.
    It ain't supposed to be easy.

Make
    America
    Gravel
    Again

Wheels
    Apr 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by EthanKasier View Post
    I have never experienced this once after a couple dozen times out on the trail. It seems that it's picking up more traffic as the year goes by. Majority of the time its just hikers enjoying their walk in the forest or other fellow mountain bikers.

But this time there were 3 people hiding out on the trail trying to hijack a bike. I was able to see them and it was really suspicious. Once I got a little closer they started sprinting towards me and I'm pretty sure it wasn't to say hi and pat me on my back. I had enough distance and time to turn around and get away. But this sure did get my heart pumping and angry.

I contacted the police about this occurrence. This wasn't the first time I've seen suspicious things on the trail. There were cases of sabotage and logs being hidden and put on the trail around February. I remember having a talk with another mountain biker about a man dug pothole in the middle of a descent. It was pretty obvious someone was messing around with the trails instead of nature taking its course.

I would also like to note this isn't the best place to live. So I don't know about you guys. But so far this last experience really turned me off.
    Can you please tell us where this was?

Quote Originally Posted by life behind bars View Post
    My thinking is that they need someone that resembles a mugger or hobo. Take it as you will.
    So the high end ďkitĒ for the promotional videos was a bit much to ask?
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

So the high end ďkitĒ for the promotional videos was a bit much to ask?

Not if it's kit from the Salvation Army so I'd hold out for it.

Make
    America
    Gravel
    Again

Quote Originally Posted by life behind bars View Post
    Not if it's kit from the Salvation Army so I'd hold out for it.
    Itís probably best I trim that demand off my list. I donít want to overpush my boundaries and miss the chance at being chosen for the position.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sito40 View Post
    Is it legal in US to shoot these hijackers?

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
    It varies quite a bit from state to state. Generally speaking, itís legal to use lethal force to save your life or the life of another in almost all places. If a reasonable person believes that during such a hijacking his life is in danger then it would probably be legal to shoot the perpetrator. Regardless of whether youíre actually charged with a crime or not, you Will be spending some time in conversations with the local District attorney, and again depending on the state, will also be having conversations with your own attorney regarding the inevitable wrongful death suit that will be filed against you by the perpetrators family. In some states, if the shooting is determined to be justified, civil lawsuits canít be filed.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Great, Iím hired without even tweaking my resume to fit the job requirements. Before I sign and commit I have a few questions of my own.

If these demand are met to the fullest Iíd be happy to join the team, given the salary meets my skillset.
    this is more likely what you test

http://www.oldbike.eu/museum/boer-wa...le-with-maxim/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cycologist
    Itís probably best I trim that demand off my list. I donít want to overpush my boundaries and miss the chance at being chosen for the position.
    Nor do you want to wear a kit someone donated to the Salvation Army.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    Remember, there's always quilting and knitting if pedalling becomes too tough.

Quote Originally Posted by cjsb View Post

1901 Vickers Machine Gun Tandem Tricycle | The Online Bicycle Museum

The first drive by's?

Make
    America
    Gravel
    Again

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuyuna View Post
    It varies quite a bit from state to state. Generally speaking, itís legal to use lethal force to save your life or the life of another in almost all places. If a reasonable person believes that during such a hijacking his life is in danger then it would probably be legal to shoot the perpetrator. Regardless of whether youíre actually charged with a crime or not, you Will be spending some time in conversations with the local District attorney, and again depending on the state, will also be having conversations with your own attorney regarding the inevitable wrongful death suit that will be filed against you by the perpetrators family. In some states, if the shooting is determined to be justified, civil lawsuits canít be filed.
    In Texas and Washington state life or personal harm do not even have to come into the equation. There is so much complexity to these laws it's almost irresponsible to discuss them in depth here.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by tuckerjt07 View Post
    I don't disagree but even with that I don't think my view changes.

Honestly I would rather a person spend more money on training and becoming proficient with their firearm. There are a shit ton of people out there with quality everything that when faced with needing to act and make it count, can't.

When I mean trained I am not talking about standing at a range and punching paper all day either but neither am I taking about Navy SEAL or SWAT type training ether.

Id take a well trained person with a $199 Highpoint pistol and full metal jacket range reloads vs a person with 2000dollar 1911, three mags and factory SD ammo every day and twice on sunday.

J-

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by jjc155 View Post
    Honestly I would rather a person spend more money on training and becoming proficient with their firearm. There are a shit ton of people out there with quality everything that when faced with needing to act and make it count, can't.

When I mean trained I am not talking about standing at a range and punching paper all day either but neither am I taking about Navy SEAL or SWAT type training ether.

Id take a well trained person with a $199 Highpoint pistol and full metal jacket range reloads vs a person with 2000dollar 1911, three mags and factory SD ammo every day and twice on sunday.

J-
    I don't disagree but even with that I don't think my view changes.

Quote Originally Posted by cjsb View Post

1901 Vickers Machine Gun Tandem Tricycle | The Online Bicycle Museum

Bike hijackers on trails-5d2a533c-b01e-4422-a945-bcbe01fe9454.jpeg

Here, diagonally!

If these demand are met to the fullest Iíd be happy to join the team, given the salary meets my skillset.
    You'll get minimum wage, an awesome strap, a size small spandex kit, and you'll be thankful. Also, this is not a union job, and we don't allow employees to organize in any way.

mtbr member
    It's sad so many people are so scared they think they need to carry a firearm on the trail. Are you gonna really shoot some pathetic drug addict or whoever because they're gonna steal the $7000 dollar bill you're riding through the woods? Why not just mace them? Ride away (you're so fast right?)? Or, best of all, fight them off like a real man.

****, if I can't race them or mace them, then, dude, have my bike. It's just a bike.

The brake levers on it are shit anyway.
    "You can be clipped in and be boring or ride flats and have a good time." - Sam Hill

Quote Originally Posted by tealy View Post
    Or, best of all, fight them off like a real man.

That's a suckers bet.

Make
    America
    Gravel
    Again

mtbr member
    ahhh....never mind
    Last edited by Cuyuna; 07-18-2018 at 08:01 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I ride a 26er. Nobody's gonna steal that.

We don't get that sort of problem on the trails near me, perhaps because everything is so steep way too much effort to get up here.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

Co Springs
    The number of people that go out and buy a gun and then believe that they are now safe from all manner of threats without any self-defense training is indeed distressing and dangerous. On the other side of that coin are those CCW carriers that, with or without training, view themselves as some kind of auxiliary policeman. However, I don't view the unfortunate attitudes of those folks as having anything to do with my decision to have a handgun permit. But yes...carrying a gun is an enormous responsibility. People should take it seriously.

However, it's also true that actual adverse firearms incidents among those folk are rare, and that as the number of CCWs increases in a given area, crime tends to decrease.
    I get genuinely spooked seeing the open carry at times. Many look like their goal is to attain respect or celebrity notice by getting this attention.
    I have to say, the stealth version of carry as CCW far outweighs odds IMO.

I often see these tall, old cowboy-looking guys with a holster hanging so loose and far off their waist the gun appears hanging lateral as if it may fall at any time.
    Nevermind the fact that it draws further attention and any wiseguy, meth-head or wanna-be criminal standing in line behind them could take a grab at that thing and really start a fiasco.

All because of open carry.
    In the Middle Ages, the biggest mistake was not putting on your armor because you were 'just going down to the corner.'

mtbr member
    Back when I was young and stupid, I carried. Because that's what you did where I'm from in backwards-ass U.S.A. But right away I noticed carrying made me scared and paranoid and sick with worry. With a gun, you're always monitoring "the situation" which otherwise would be "picking up some Pert Plus from Wal-Mart". And you're always having to **** with your holster and pull your shirt down and keep track of your gun and all that. So after a while, I left the gun at home and I was instantly, totally relieved. And yeah since then I have regularly gone into sketchy neighborhoods and situations but I exercise common sense: treat people like they're human beings, avoid escalating confrontations, avoid being in a situation where you're likely to be victimized, etc ... and that's been pretty effective. If I'm going someplace ultra-sketchy, maybe I'll bring mace. But even that's rare for me. I don't know, I'd rather go out running like a bitch or fighting like a man than having accidentally shot some poor bastard who didn't deserve to die because things got out of hand. I don't want that on my conscience forever.

Now don't doubt for a second I'm making all this up from some liberal no-real-world-experience utopia. In fact, I doubt many users of this forum grew up more immersed in gun culture than me. I spent my entire childhood at gun shows, gun clubs, gun stores, and pumping out more reloaded ammo before my 12th birthday than you've shot in your whole life. I shot plates, long range rifle (even 50 BMG bitch), skeet, trap, assault weapons for fun, hunted this and that, etc, etc.

But my life in gun culture only showed me how dangerous guns are and just how batshit crazy most gun enthusiasts are. Examples: My neighbor accidentally shot himself on his front porch. I've had a semi shotgun just go off in my hands when I didn't pull the trigger (yeah that can happen). I've had bullets ping off trees around me because some stupid redneck didn't use a proper backstop. I've seen morons with guns threaten people without guns over small beef. I've found a loaded handgun left in a public restroom by someone who must of been a total moron. The gist of this is ... I've been in way, way more situations where I was almost killed by a gun than where my life would have been saved by a gun.

Plus, I have yet to meet any real gun enthusiasts who isn't A) almost schizophrenically paranoid about self-defense or B) scared of going into the real world or C) wants to feel more powerful than other people ... or any combination thereof. All this nonsense about rights and the constitution is just a justification, an excuse for wanting to carry a gun for the previously mentioned bullshit reasons. I know because I've done that.
    "You can be clipped in and be boring or ride flats and have a good time." - Sam Hill

Quote Originally Posted by bachman1961 View Post
    I get genuinely spooked seeing the open carry at times. Many look like their goal is to attain respect or celebrity notice by getting this attention.

I often see these tall, old cowboy-looking guys with a holster hanging so loose and far off their waist the gun appears hanging lateral as if it may fall at any time.
    Nevermind the fact that it draws further attention and any wiseguy, meth-head or wanna-be criminal standing in line behind them could take a grab at that thing and really start a fiasco.

All because of open carry.
    A few years ago I took a part time airport shuttle job. I used to get up into Wyoming and transport them to the Denver Airport. There were many down time hours spent waiting for the next passenger pickup. So many of those hours were spent in coffee shops passing the time. One coffee shop I used to hit regulary I often saw an old cowboy all dressed up his his cowboy attire. Strapped across his back was an AR-15 and holstered was a semi auto sidearm. The first couple of times I saw him I wasnít sure what to think. One of the last times I saw him he was sitting and shooting the bull with a couple of other locals. I overheard him saying that when the drug smugglers run across his land they end up 6í under. Not exactly the most relaxing visit to a coffee shop.

mtbr member
    Personally, I am opposed to open carry. It spooks people and creates too much potential backlash.

Back when I was young and stupid, I carried. Because that's what you did where I'm from in backwards-ass U.S.A. But right away I noticed carrying made me scared and paranoid and sick with worry. With a gun, you're always monitoring "the situation" which otherwise would be "picking up some Pert Plus from Wal-Mart". And you're always having to **** with your holster and pull your shirt down and keep track of your gun and all that. So after a while, I left the gun at home and I was instantly, totally relieved.
    Sounds like a good choice for you. It's apparent that armed self-defense isn't for you if carrying a gun causes more anxiety than the risks you face.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Is it possible the drug cartel infiltrate your area? They already entered border states

turtles make me hot
    We actually have a huge MS13 problem on Long Island. I haven't yet seen them in the woods but one of the trails I frequent is in one of their areas. They keep dumping bodies of kids they've killed in the woods.
    Hope I never see them.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Life is dangerous in US. I would carry guns too if I live in the US

mtbr member
    Back when I was young and stupid, I carried. Because that's what you did where I'm from in backwards-ass U.S.A. But right away I noticed carrying made me scared and paranoid and sick with worry. With a gun, you're always monitoring "the situation" which otherwise would be "picking up some Pert Plus from Wal-Mart". And you're always having to **** with your holster and pull your shirt down and keep track of your gun and all that. So after a while, I left the gun at home and I was instantly, totally relieved. And yeah since then I have regularly gone into sketchy neighborhoods and situations but I exercise common sense: treat people like they're human beings, avoid escalating confrontations, avoid being in a situation where you're likely to be victimized, etc ... and that's been pretty effective. If I'm going someplace ultra-sketchy, maybe I'll bring mace. But even that's rare for me. I don't know, I'd rather go out running like a bitch or fighting like a man than having accidentally shot some poor bastard who didn't deserve to die because things got out of hand. I don't want that on my conscience forever.

Now don't doubt for a second I'm making all this up from some liberal no-real-world-experience utopia. In fact, I doubt many users of this forum grew up more immersed in gun culture than me. I spent my entire childhood at gun shows, gun clubs, gun stores, and pumping out more reloaded ammo before my 12th birthday than you've shot in your whole life. I shot plates, long range rifle (even 50 BMG bitch), skeet, trap, assault weapons for fun, hunted this and that, etc, etc.

But my life in gun culture only showed me how dangerous guns are and just how batshit crazy most gun enthusiasts are. Examples: My neighbor accidentally shot himself on his front porch. I've had a semi shotgun just go off in my hands when I didn't pull the trigger (yeah that can happen). I've had bullets ping off trees around me because some stupid redneck didn't use a proper backstop. I've seen morons with guns threaten people without guns over small beef. I've found a loaded handgun left in a public restroom by someone who must of been a total moron. The gist of this is ... I've been in way, way more situations where I was almost killed by a gun than where my life would have been saved by a gun.

Plus, I have yet to meet any real gun enthusiasts who isn't A) almost schizophrenically paranoid about self-defense or B) scared of going into the real world or C) wants to feel more powerful than other people ... or any combination thereof. All this nonsense about rights and the constitution is just a justification, an excuse for wanting to carry a gun for the previously mentioned bullshit reasons. I know because I've done that.
    Spot on.

People who want to carry, provided they are legal, can carry. Let's stop trying to justify it for any other reason.

On many trails, firearms are prohibited. On many trails, open carry is prohibited.

An honest question for those in the know: A shoulder or hip holster, under regular clothing, would be considered concelead. Is it considered concealed under a bike jersey if everyone can see it's silhouette?
    Truly concealing a weapon while on a bike might make getting to the weapon impractical.

As said multiple times in all of these threads, if you are truly worried about your safety while riding, bear spray is a great solution!
    Is this where I write something witty?

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Sounds like a good choice for you. It's apparent that armed self-defense isn't for you if carrying a gun causes more anxiety than the risks you face.
    Statistics show that his viewpoint is the most realistic one.

I'm pretty pro gun - I hunt, own somewhere between 5-15 guns at any point in time, and have a number of CCW carriers in my family... but I also understand the statistics and the fact that owning guns INCREASES my (and my families) risk, and that higher numbers of concealed carry folks increases overall societal risk.

mtbr member
    Not exactly hijacking, but there had been a problem at a popular spot in Vermont. There's a popular spot to cool off where the trail passes near the river. Someone had figured out that by riding crap beater bikes into the system and waiting for a group to stop and walk down to the water, they could just pick up a high end bike and ride off with it. I don't know how many times it happened or if they caught the thief. I'm sure it was never publicized.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by MOJO K View Post
    Not exactly hijacking, but there had been a problem at a popular spot in Vermont. There's a popular spot to cool off where the trail passes near the river. Someone had figured out that by riding crap beater bikes into the system and waiting for a group to stop and walk down to the water, they could just pick up a high end bike and ride off with it. I don't know how many times it happened or if they caught the thief. I'm sure it was never publicized.
    Well. It is time to carry a gun. I won't any gangster to rob me

mtbr member
    Well. It is time to carry a gun. I won't any gangster to rob me
    Not really any gangsters in northern Vermont. I think the best defense is to carry a bottle of Oxycodone in the pack and bribe that pathetic addict to just leave you alone.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by MOJO K View Post
    Not really any gangsters in northern Vermont. I think the best defense is to carry a bottle of Oxycodone in the pack and bribe that pathetic addict to just leave you alone.
    Isn't Vermont full of rich people?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aborgman View Post
    Statistics show that his viewpoint is the most realistic one.

I'm pretty pro gun - I hunt, own somewhere between 5-15 guns at any point in time, and have a number of CCW carriers in my family... but I also understand the statistics and the fact that owning guns INCREASES my (and my families) risk, and that higher numbers of concealed carry folks increases overall societal risk.
    For people who believe those statistics, carrying a gun would likely be counterproductive and unnecessarily stressful.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    For people who believe those statistics, carrying a gun would likely be counterproductive and unnecessarily stressful.
    The statistics don't require "belief" - they are objective data.

Formerly of Kent
    I believe them.

And Iím guessing Iím a bit more comfortable with using a gun than you are.

Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    I believe them.

I don't and I'm guessing I'm MUCH more comfortable using a gun than you are.

Honestly those "statistics" make zero sense.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Sure they do.

1) Lots of gun owners/users aren't responsible.
    2) Humans make mistakes - even responsible well trained ones.
    3) Accidents happen.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Sure they do.

1) Lots of gun owners/users aren't responsible.
    2) Humans make mistakes - even responsible well trained ones.
    3) Accidents happen.
    That still doesn't put you more at risk simply because you have a gun. Only one of those is causal and I'm not even sure that it's significant enough to worry about when compared to other accidents.

Formerly of Kent

Bike hijackers on trails

That still doesn't put you more at risk simply because you have a gun. Only one of those is causal and I'm not even sure that it's significant enough to worry about when compared to other accidents.

I got shot in the chest by a man hunting next to my house.

If he wasnít there, with a gun, that incident doesnít occur. The average American, with or without a gun, isnít particularly, um, inspiring.

Death from Below.

Formerly of Kent
    I don't and I'm guessing I'm MUCH more comfortable using a gun than you are.

How many times have you been engaged by, returned fire and destroyed a human target?

How many kilometers have you walked in country?

Death from Below.

mtbr member
    The statistics don't require "belief" - they are objective data.
    And of course, statistical presentations are always absolutely accurate, never spun by whatever group happens to be gathering the statistics.

mtbr member
    I believe them.

I'm pretty confident that you're wrong on both counts.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    I got shot in the chest by a man hunting next to my house.

If he wasnít there, with a gun, that incident doesnít occur. The average American, with or without a gun, isnít particularly, um, inspiring.

That's you being at risk, not him. And him having the gun was not the ultimate causal factor. His irresponsibility was. Other's unrelated, independent actions have zero bearing on the risk one assumes despite the potential loose correlation.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    How many times have you been engaged by, returned fire and destroyed a human target?

How many kilometers have you walked in country?

None of those are pertinent to my competence and comfort handling a firearm.

Formerly of Kent
    I'm pretty confident that you're wrong on both counts.
    What was the range of your last TIC?

Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    The statistics don't require "belief" - they are subjective data.
    Fify

Upcyclist
    Bike hijackers on trails-mountain-bike-illustration2.jpg
    Cool heads prevail

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    That still doesn't put you more at risk simply because you have a gun.
    The risk of a gun accident (of many sorts) is certainly higher if you have a gun.

...just like the risk of a drowning accident is higher if you have a pool.

One can argue about whether the cost outweighs the benefit, but it's pretty much impossible to argue the cost is zero.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016

Again a red herring, not pertinent to his comfort or capability.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    The risk of a gun accident (of many sorts) is certainly higher if you have a gun.

One can argue about whether the cost outweighs the benefit, but it's pretty much impossible to argue the cost is zero.
    It is higher, undoubtedly, however how much higher is it than say a cop doing a backflip and shooting you when he picks up his gun, just an example.

mtbr member
    These threads always bring out the people who feel it's there duty to tell everyone how dangerous guns are.... go away. If you don't like what someone else does within their legal right just scroll along. Post your solution to ward off potential bike jackers and move on... no one wants to hear you rant.
    Instagram

Denver, CO

mtbr member
    None of those are pertinent to my competence and comfort handling a firearm.

hah! that's pretty funny.
    Instagram

Denver, CO

mtbr member

Irrelevant. Are you trying to equate military service with firearms experience and using it to prove your expertise in the civilian firearms world?

Generally speaking, the only group of individuals that might be more firearms-inept than your average cop would be your average soldier.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Streetdoctor View Post
    These threads always bring out the people who feel it's there duty to tell everyone how dangerous guns are.... go away. If you don't like what someone else does within their legal right just scroll along. Post your solution to ward off potential bike jackers and move on... no one wants to hear you rant.
    I agree with you, but at the same time, these threads also bring out the gun yahoos.

Isn't the first rule of CCW the same as the first rule for Fight Club?

Quote Originally Posted by Cornfield View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mountain-Bike-Illustration2.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	101.6 KB 
ID:	1208751
    Is that the prototype or the final product?

Nothing seems to kill me
    I choose to live and to lie..kill and to give and to die..learn and love and to do what it takes to step through. MJK

mtbr member
    Isn't Vermont full of rich people?

Only on the weekends.

Cycologist
    Quote Originally Posted by cornfield View Post
    pic with no cable/hydro line
    Name:  helmet_spray2.jpg
Views: 370
Size:  42.2 KB

fify
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    Remember, there's always quilting and knitting if pedalling becomes too tough.

Land of the 230+
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    We actually have a huge MS13 problem on Long Island. I haven't yet seen them in the woods but one of the trails I frequent is in one of their areas. They keep dumping bodies of kids they've killed in the woods.
    Hope I never see them.
    Like you really need another reason to avoid Edgewood?!

I haven't had nor heard of anyone running into anything even close to that. I think they know better than to use populated bike trails. All we have to worry about are the homeless, the certifiably insane, the furries, the vapid mindless hikers and dogwalkers, the guidos, and ticks that give you that incurable meat allergy for life.

Formerly of Kent
    Irrelevant. Are you trying to equate military service with firearms experience and using it to prove your expertise in the civilian firearms world?

Generally speaking, the only group of individuals that might be more firearms-inept than your average cop would be your average soldier.
    Iím just wondering how youíll know how youíll react when things pop off.

But, apparently me knowing how Iíll react, having done it in real life is irrelevant. And yet you have total confidence in yourself despite having no real world experience.

Makes perfect sense.

Death from Below.

Co Springs
    Around early 1992, Police across the country were so failing in accurate shooting that it was mandated they have more training. The root cause for many was their infatuation with quality or custom guns as they acquired higher end weapons. They all but stopped training and shooting with their duty weapon.

As for this;

Quote Originally Posted by Streetdoctor View Post
    I know what you are saying but I do admit, I see and read of many gun enthusiasts, experts and supporters calling out the fact that CCW training, good handling, control and storage of firearms or anybody with the 'right' to have or carry isn't necessarily at or above a bar of standards that should be required and met.
    Too many stories and news about those that are sloppy, didn't store it safely or other things gone wrong. THAT's what the opposition party can thrown in the face, even if the numbers or stats are low.

* Legal right in bold because I think it's just that blanket statement that pre-supposes everyone with a gun by means of legal requirements or the least of basic competency standards is 'sufficient'.

A few years ago I took a part time airport shuttle job. I used to get up into Wyoming and transport them to the Denver Airport. There were many down time hours spent waiting for the next passenger pickup. So many of those hours were spent in coffee shops passing the time. One coffee shop I used to hit regulary I often saw an old cowboy all dressed up his his cowboy attire. Strapped across his back was an AR-15 and holstered was a semi auto sidearm. The first couple of times I saw him I wasnít sure what to think. One of the last times I saw him he was sitting and shooting the bull with a couple of other locals. I overheard him saying that when the drug smugglers run across his land they end up 6í under. Not exactly the most relaxing visit to a coffee shop.
    And to think what a bold cup of java with a shot of expresso would do for his Trigger-finger !
    In the Middle Ages, the biggest mistake was not putting on your armor because you were 'just going down to the corner.'

Formerly of Kent
    Again a red herring, not pertinent to his comfort or capability.

Oh.

So, he has no real world experience actually DOING it.

ďI can totally ride every pro line at WhistlerĒ.

Sorry, thatís bullshit until you actually do it.

Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Oh.

So, he has no real world experience actually DOING it.

ďI can totally ride every pro line at WhistlerĒ.

Sorry, thatís bullshit until you actually do it.

Again, you are stuck on a red herring. What you are talking about has zero, no, none, zilch, insert your favorite negative case adjective here, bearing on his comfort handling a firearm.

Formerly of Kent

Bike hijackers on trails

Again, you are stuck on a red herring. What you are talking about has zero, no, none, zilch, insert your favorite negative case adjective here, bearing on his comfort handling a firearm.

So, you believe that everyone reacts the same way under stress?

Every single person?

When I say ďcomfortĒ, I mean are they physically, mentally and emotionally capable of bringing a weapon to bear on a living human target and destroying it.

Death from Below.

mtbr member

This is why these threads are the proverbial head scratchers for me. Promoting and romantisizing carrying a gun on one of the biggest user base MTB forums in the USA seems incredibly shortsighted. More people in the woods with guns statistically increases the potential for someone to get shot. It really is that simple.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    Iím not worried about bikejackers on the trails, but rather the women dog walkers. Recently, there have been attacks on women, although not in the woods.

I know that some of these women must carry concealed, and I donít feel like getting shot when a lady dog walker freaks out as I pass by.

I have a ltc, but frankly, riding with a loaded gun seems quite dangerous. Not going to do it and am not going to escalate any situation with a dog walker.

I just hope I donít get blown away by gun toting Susie while sheís walking Fido.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    So, you believe that everyone reacts the same way under stress?

Every single person?

No, but that's not what you said. However, I do know how I would react when being shot at. I've been unfortunate to have had that experience and not just getting peppered by harmless birdshot. I also know I am an above average instinctive and reactionary shooter. Although, neither of those have any bearing on my comfort level handling a firearm.

mtbr member
    Iím just wondering how youíll know how youíll react when things pop off.

But, apparently me knowing how Iíll react, having done it in real life is irrelevant. And yet you have total confidence in yourself despite having no real world experience.

Makes perfect sense.

16 years on the county Sheriff TAC Team. Also 8 years as Assistant County Coroner, although I rarely got shot at in that role, and a decade on the Bomb Squad which was also rather sedate by comparison.

Upcyclist
    Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post
    fify
    Bike hijackers on trails-mountain-bike-illustration3.jpg
    Cool heads prevail

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitsBoy View Post
    Like you really need another reason to avoid Edgewood?!

I haven't had nor heard of anyone running into anything even close to that. I think they know better than to use populated bike trails. All we have to worry about are the homeless, the certifiably insane, the furries, the vapid mindless hikers and dogwalkers, the guidos, and ticks that give you that incurable meat allergy for life.
    I HATE Edgewood. Whenever my friends post that they'll be riding there, I decline and go to Glacier.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    .... and a decade on the Bomb Squad which was also rather sedate by comparison.
    So how did you feel when people used to say "That's da bomb!"? Like it, hate it, indifferent?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brodino View Post
    So how did you feel when people used to say "That's da bomb!"? Like it, hate it, indifferent?
    I wasn't a tech or EOD, my job was sitting around waiting for something exciting to happen - that's when I went into action. If the EOD's did their job correctly, I had nothing to do. Which was fine with me. Excitement on the Bomb Squad is like excitement in the operating room....almost never good.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Cuyuna, A question for you... How does LE feel in general about concealed (or open) carry for the general population, these days?

When I went through the Academy in the early 90's we had numerous conversations about it and the near universal feeling was that cops wanted fewer guns on the street, not more. Has that changed?

Full disclosure: When I graduated in May of '92, the economy took a HUGE dip and the agency I was in the hiring process with cut all hiring. So did every agency in my area for the following two years and I was not willing to go to LA. For the record, I'm glad I changed directions.
    "The man was born on third and thinks he hit a triple. But instead of running home, he ran to second base."

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I wasn't a tech or EOD, my job was sitting around waiting for something exciting to happen - that's when I went into action. If the EOD's did their job correctly, I had nothing to do. Which was fine with me. Excitement on the Bomb Squad is like excitement in the operating room....almost never good.
    You have an exciting job. I have a crappy job

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckha62 View Post
    Cuyuna, A question for you... How does LE feel in general about concealed (or open) carry for the general population, these days?

When I went through the Academy in the early 90's we had numerous conversations about it and the near universal feeling was that cops wanted fewer guns on the street, not more. Has that changed?

Full disclosure: When I graduated in May of '92, the economy took a HUGE dip and the agency I was in the hiring process with cut all hiring. So did every agency in my area for the following two years and I was not willing to go to LA. For the record, I'm glad I changed directions.
    I took a class called,ĒThe Art of Concealed Carry.Ē At least in MA, concealed means undetectable by the police while in public.

If the police see a part of the gun, imprint on clothes, etc. itís not concealed and youíre off to a very bad day with the popo.

In fact, after taking the class, learning about MA law and liabilities if you shoot someone, I decided NOT to carry.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckha62 View Post

The general run of LEO's that I know are fine with concealed carry. Not all, but I would say most.There tends to be less enthusiasm among Sheriffs and Chiefs of Police. Those are generally political offices and their opinions tend to be more shaped by local politics. Around here, all the Chiefs of Police and the Sheriff are fine with CCW.

Back in the old days, on the threshold of more wide spread carry laws ("Shall Issue" rather than "May Issue"), a lot of cops thought that more guns would mean blood in the streets. Over decades of finding out that permit holders were generally not a problem, attitudes have shifted signficantly. The place where CCW becomes an issue for cops tends to be traffic stops and folks who choose to open carry. Most cops are uncomfortable when they spot a firearm during a traffic stop (certainly can't blame 'em) and different cops have different methods of dealing with it. As to open carry, in this state the law doesn't distinguish between open carry vs concealed. Permit holders can do either, but inevitably someone open carrying at, say, Starbucks will generate a 911 call (predictably). That's annoying for most cops.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ravewoofer View Post
    I took a class called,ĒThe Art of Concealed Carry.Ē At least in MA, concealed means undetectable by the police while in public.

If the police see a part of the gun, imprint on clothes, etc. itís not concealed and youíre off to a very bad day with the popo.

In fact, after taking the class, learning about MA law and liabilities if you shoot someone, I decided NOT to carry.

Around here a handgun permit means you can carry either open or concealed. Printing isn't a problem.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by jjc155 View Post
    This. Eddie Bravo himself isn't going to win again against three people who want to hurt him. He'll F-up the first guy he gets ahold of and then his buddies will tap dance on his head while he is tied up on the ground with the first guy.

Now if you told me you train in Krav Maga or Muay Thai then you would have a fighting chance against more than one person.

Having been a cop for 2.5 decades and having to had to fight multiple people at a time in real life (more than once, I'm a poop magnet lol) who wanted nothing more than to kill me I can tell you that BJJ etc would not have helped one bit (and I trained BJJ before BJJ was cool).

J-

15+ years of Krav Maga training, CCW, and many hand-to-combat training sessions with SWAT, special forces, etc. The best defense is the 'Nike" defense (run) or in this case, RIDE! I don't carry a gun when I ride, but I do carry a taser C2 (projectile) which should work equally well on human and animal predators and I carry a knife. In general, when a red light is focused on your chest and someone is holding a taser, the threatening individual tends to have second thoughts. Multiple attackers is obviously a bad position to be in, but at least a taser will take out one person and that will buy some time to get away or have to deal with one less bad guy. As others have mentioned, using a gun--even if you are confident it is in self-defense--will likely result in time in court and $$. I love my bike and feel confident I could protect myself, but it is not worth my life to find out.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by drich View Post
    15+ years of Krav Maga training, CCW, and many hand-to-combat training sessions with SWAT, special forces, etc. The best defense is the 'Nike" defense (run) or in this case, RIDE! I don't carry a gun when I ride, but I do carry a taser C2 (projectile) which should work equally well on human and animal predators and I carry a knife. In general, when a red light is focused on your chest and someone is holding a taser, the threatening individual tends to have second thoughts. Multiple attackers is obviously a bad position to be in, but at least a taser will take out one person and that will buy some time to get away or have to deal with one less bad guy. As others have mentioned, using a gun--even if you are confident it is in self-defense--will likely result in time in court and $$. I love my bike and feel confident I could protect myself, but it is not worth my life to find out.
    Yep Tasers are great, been a Certified Taser Instructor for going on a decade.

J-

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornfield View Post

Name:	Mountain-Bike-Illustration2.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	101.6 KB 
ID:	1208751
    This model seemed a little unrealistic given the gravity of the situation, so I've made a slight modification.

Bike hijackers on trails-mountain-bike-illustration3hk.jpg

Upcyclist
    Yes!

HK just needs a face shield to protect him from teh pepper sprayz.
    Cool heads prevail

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by noapathy View Post
    This model seemed a little unrealistic given the gravity of the situation, so I've made a slight modification.

Name:	Mountain-Bike-Illustration3hk.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	56.9 KB 
ID:	1208829
    Hahhh!!! Hucking Kitty!

One ring to mash them all
    Huckin' Kittehs with pepper sprays > Sharks with frickin' laser beams
    "Reasoning will never make a Man correct an ill Opinion, which by Reasoning he never acquired"
    ó Jonathan Swift

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by the one ring View Post
    Huckin' Kittehs with pepper sprays > Sharks with frickin' laser beams
    We've been having shark attacks on Long Island. MS13 in the woods, sharks in the water...
    What next?
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    We've been having shark attacks on Long Island. MS13 in the woods, sharks in the water...
    What next?
    Sharks on the trails. We will need shark terminators

DFL
    What next?
    Human sacrifices, dogs and cats living together-mass hysteria!!!!
    I wouldn't **** you, you're my favorite turd.

What next?
    Itís not kosher without saying it like this, Lonnnnn ga Island.

Co Springs
    Quote Originally Posted by ravewoofer View Post
    Iím not worried about bikejackers on the trails, but rather the women dog walkers. Recently, there have been attacks on women, although not in the woods.

I know that some of these women must carry concealed, and I donít feel like getting shot when a lady dog walker freaks out as I pass by.

I have a ltc, but frankly, riding with a loaded gun seems quite dangerous. Not going to do it and am not going to escalate any situation with a dog walker.

I just hope I donít get blown away by gun toting Susie while sheís walking Fido.

If you pee on her leg, expect negative results.

How negative, I'm not sure but getting shot seems like way way down to the far side of the negative scale.
    Last edited by bachman1961; 07-22-2018 at 02:38 AM.

Co Springs
    What next?
    MS13 reminds me of a slogan (various memes) spotted on fb.
    It was posted that the AR15 ought to be renamed MS13 since it would then be protected.
    Kind of a clever funny.

turtles make me hot
    MS13 reminds me of a slogan (various memes) spotted on fb.
    It was posted that the AR15 ought to be renamed MS13 since it would then be protected.
    Kind of a clever funny.
    Truly.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    the US is becoming dangerous as Mexico. you guys underestimate this criminals. what happens if they carry guns. are you going to bring bear spray to gun fight?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SingleSpeedSteven View Post
    This is precisely why I am a former sidearm carrier turned anti-CC laws. I was in the first group of people to get their concealed carry license in my state when it was legalized, and it makes me extremely uncomfortable the amount of people I know with their CC license who don't take the responsibility of carrying a gun seriously. I can't count how many times I have heard people make offhand comments about just shooting someone for any discomfort they may feel, or being completely unrealistic about how a situation may go down if they actually had to pull their gun.

Honestly, I would have been better off NOT going through the class and finding out from experience the mental weight of carrying a firearm. It terrifies me that just about anyone with no serious criminal record could potentially carry a gun into the woods and start ripping off wild shots at someone who they think is a bike thief. Same for anywhere else; restaurants, Target, etc. I have been to the shooting range enough times to know that if a criminal starts mowing people down in public, 99.9% of the population (even if they have a CC permit) have no business trying to equalize the situation.
    Yet you have your wild and unrealistic ideas of what could go wrong, but hasn't happened either. You are the same lunatic..just on the opposite side of the coin

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducman View Post
    Yet you have your wild and unrealistic ideas of what could go wrong, but hasn't happened either. You are the same lunatic..just on the opposite side of the coin
    A person arguing in favor of responsible gun ownership and responsible CCW is not a lunatic.
    People on both sides of the gun control issue can talk about responsible CCW, particularly in situations where CCW is more difficult, or even prohibited.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by djlee View Post
    A person arguing in favor of responsible gun ownership and responsible CCW is not a lunatic.
    People on both sides of the gun control issue can talk about responsible CCW, particularly in situations where CCW is more difficult, or even prohibited.

He not arguing for responsible CCW. He said he is anti CCW, because he is terrified of situations that have never happened.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducman View Post
    He not arguing for responsible CCW. He said he is anti CCW, because he is terrified of situations that have never happened.
    You're right. He is not arguing in favor of responsible CCW.
    He is arguing against irresponsible CCW.

Being "terrified" of that doesn't make someone a lunatic.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I am positive that not only will I dispatch the perpetrator trying to do me harm but Iíll get a pat on the back from the cops. Not sure what nanny state or country you live in but I assure you as a citizen of a stand your ground state cowering to criminals in not necessary and the criminals know it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by djlee View Post
    You're right. He is not arguing in favor of responsible CCW.
    He is arguing against irresponsible CCW.

Being "terrified" of that doesn't make someone a lunatic.
    He justification for being anti CCW is based on fantasy, just like the CCW holders that he overheard and said are "unrealistic." Both sides justifying their position on something that does not happen. Both sides are extreme and both sides are lunatics.

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by Picard View Post
    the US is becoming dangerous as Mexico. you guys underestimate this criminals. what happens if they carry guns. are you going to bring bear spray to gun fight?
    I've been in exactly that position. Long time ago, I had to repo a rental diesel generator. It was within NYC limits and my dad said we were not breaking the law and bringing guns. Of course, the guy came out with a pump shotgun and emptied it at us. Thankfully, he couldn't shoot and when he ran out of shells, we charged back at him.
    Not a fun feeling.
    I like turtles

Anytime. Anywhere.
    If all I knew about the US was what I read, I'd think it's like Afghanistan.

Sent from my SM-G935S using Tapatalk
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    If all I knew about the US was what I read, I'd think it's like Afghanistan.
    Based on what I read, I should probably start locking my doors at night.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast