mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Bike depreciation

I was looking on Craigslist for a low level bike and came across a Trek 7.2 from 2006. Bikepedia says $410 in 2006 and the seller wants $350. Seems way too high. What's a realistic price for something like this.

I'm not totally enthused by the "Shimano branded" components but I just need a beater and from the photos, it looks like it is in decent shape.

Is it Friday yet?
    Wayyy too high. Bike value halves pretty quickly and with so much low end stuff, I wouldn't think he gets more than $100 or so...if that.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    depends... i wouldn't pay more than like 200 for it if i was in the market for something like that. its worth as much as people will pay there, and there's a lot of stupid people out there, so.... the depreciation really depends on the level of stupidity in the area. but all it takes is just one stupid person to buy that.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    That price is ridiculous. I have a 2010 Trek 7.2 that I think I paid around $450 for, and I doubt that thing is even worth $350 just a year later. I'd guess the 2006 bike is worth around $150 or so.

S&G CREW
    Feb 2008
    Maybe 100 low end bikes have not so good parts to begin with then use the bike and those parts turn to crap but more power to the guy if he can con an idiot to pay 350

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Must have had a brain fart...I bought my new 2010 Marin bike for 25% off because it was Jan or Feb 2011. The same store has 2009s 30-40% off.

I offered $80. If he doesn't respond, no biggie...

mtbr member
    You seem to be getting a lot of conflicting results no matter I would say 150.
    "If you have built castles in the air, that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them."
    -Thoreau

I like to read the bike adds in CL, they amuse me.

"Paid $800.00 in 1999, many upgrades, never ridden off road $775.00 OBO!"

There are great deals to be had if you are patient and careful, but most sellers on CL are on crack with what they think their bikes are still worth.
    "Bigring, that's deep. ...Well, I suspect it is. I didn't read it."

Your Best Friend

Tough Guy Extraordinaire
    I was also going to link this, but I think the prices on here are pretty high. It also does nothing to account for use. The 10 year old bike in the garage my be worth way more than the 2 year old bike beat to snot every week.

It's funny. A guy in my office was trying to sell this 10 year old C-dale. I think it was a Scapel, but not sure. At it's time I think he probably paid $1200 for it. Maybe a bit more. He never really rode it, or if he did it was on a fire road. He constantly was trying to sell it for $900 and couldn't get why nobody would even consider it. I used to laugh about it all the time, until he sold it to a 'freind' for $900. I guess he is laughing now!
    - 2013 Pivot Mach 429 C
    - 2010 Niner MCR
    - 2009 Cannondale Super Six HM
    - 2007 Santa Cruz Super Light

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    Interesting site! I had no idea ...

Bike value is a funny thing. I keep my old AM bike ('04 Jamis XLT) around mostly because I'd rather have a decent loaner for friends or family w/o bikes than I would the $400 or so I could probably sell it for; the value is higher to me than it would be to anyone looking to buy.
    '11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

mtbr member
    They are like cars...they hit a low point and kind of stay there. I paid $225 for a 1996 road bike a few years ago, new it was about $1200. At some point, if it is in good shape it gets to a point where it doesn't really drop in price anymore IMHO. Of course, that is a bit much, I would say half ($200) is the max you would offer if it was in GREAT shape.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by AKnRDR View Post
    You seem to be getting a lot of conflicting results no matter I would say 150.
    Your response was to a post over 2 years old.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dharel1705 View Post
    Your response was to a post over 2 years old.
    LOL Yup. Bike is worth way less now.
    GTA
    Ontario

psycho cyclo addict
    Bikes definitely have a higher depreciation rate than cars- particularly on the high end brands. I have 3 bikes that were ~1 year old when I purchased them. One was ~35% of the $6500 new price, another was 25% of the $1600 new price and the 3rd was closer to 40%.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by edubfromktown View Post
    Bikes definitely have a higher depreciation rate than cars- particularly on the high end brands. I have 3 bikes that were ~1 year old when I purchased them. One was ~35% of the $6500 new price, another was 25% of the $1600 new price and the 3rd was closer to 40%.
    My point wasn't the depreciation rate, but that they do tend to bottom out. A modern car that runs with a current inspection is probably always going to be worth $1000. Bikes do a similar thing.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT