Xao
    mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Bike carrier for air travel...

Just looking for any reviews or comments on a good bike carrier for air travel and what the overall crowd thought of them?

I'm going to be taking a trip out to CO and I travel a bit, not sure if it's cheaper just to rent a bike or to take my '04 Cake 3 DLX with me.

So any other insight would be beneficial too, ie: The airlines charge $25 for the oversized case, etc...

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Xao
    Just looking for any reviews or comments on a good bike carrier for air travel and what the overall crowd thought of them?

I'm going to be taking a trip out to CO and I travel a bit, not sure if it's cheaper just to rent a bike or to take my '04 Cake 3 DLX with me.

So any other insight would be beneficial too, ie: The airlines charge $25 for the oversized case, etc...

Thanks!
    What airline charges $25?? Is that USD? AA, United, Alaska, Delta all charge $75-80 USD. One way. Check the dimensional restrictions - most bike+boxes are oversized and over 50 lbs.

I bought an IronCase Travel Case. They are about $300. Knowing what I do now, I would probably just go to the LBS and ask for a cardboard box. Depending on the bike, in order to put it into the travel case, you might need to loosen the headset and turn the stem around, or even remove the rear derailleur. You will need to remove the handlebars. I ziptie them to the frame.

Other insights:
    -Packing Materials -- new bikes go to the LBD with packing materials (little wedges for the fork and rear dropouts to keep the dropouts from being crushed, plastic discs that go on either side of the wheels to keep them from punching through the cardboard, plastic buffer that covers the rear derailleur...). Ask your LBS for a set of these. Bring the mechanic a 6-pack of beer or buy him a pizza for his trouble.

-protect your frame from travel scratches. Use rags or whatever. It's one thing to get crash scratches, but travel scratches are just depressing.

-Remove any CO2 cartridges from your wedge pack. You cannot take these on an airplane.

-If you choose to rent a bike, take your own saddle and pedals.

I've packed several bikes. PM me if you have any questions.

-sunny

Xao
    mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Sunny,
    Thanks for the insight, hearing all of this, I think I will just rent a bike when I fly to destinations. Most of the time, I drive the truck since I take long back-country trips and it's easier to take the gear that way.

I think I absolutely will take the advice to take the seat and pedals, never really thought of that.

Besides, this will also give me the excuse to try different bikes so when I'm ready to replace my Cake I'll have a better idea what to get next.

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by sunnyracegirl
    What airline charges $25?? Is that USD? AA, United, Alaska, Delta all charge $75-80 USD. One way. Check the dimensional restrictions - most bike+boxes are oversized and over 50 lbs.

I bought an IronCase Travel Case. They are about $300. Knowing what I do now, I would probably just go to the LBS and ask for a cardboard box. Depending on the bike, in order to put it into the travel case, you might need to loosen the headset and turn the stem around, or even remove the rear derailleur. You will need to remove the handlebars. I ziptie them to the frame.

Other insights:
    -Packing Materials -- new bikes go to the LBD with packing materials (little wedges for the fork and rear dropouts to keep the dropouts from being crushed, plastic discs that go on either side of the wheels to keep them from punching through the cardboard, plastic buffer that covers the rear derailleur...). Ask your LBS for a set of these. Bring the mechanic a 6-pack of beer or buy him a pizza for his trouble.

-protect your frame from travel scratches. Use rags or whatever. It's one thing to get crash scratches, but travel scratches are just depressing.

-Remove any CO2 cartridges from your wedge pack. You cannot take these on an airplane.

-If you choose to rent a bike, take your own saddle and pedals.

I've packed several bikes. PM me if you have any questions.

-sunny

uofabill
    Aug 2003

sunnyrace girl is right!

I too have a Trico Iron case and it's a great case and will probably fit your bike.
    But, as she said, the cost will be a lot closer to $90 each way than $25.
    The other thing I got into was finding a vehicle big enough at my destination to fit the cased up bike in. If you are renting a car of have friends who'll pick you up that may not be an issue but if you are trying to find a cab who'll haul you and your bike around they're gonna sock it to you for more $ also.
    It's nice to have your own ride with you but it's a hassle and will cost you!
    Wild Bill

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

fedex ground

Fedex ground is generally the cheapest way to ship your bike (although the Trico Iron case is too large to ship fedex). If you have a Trico you have to ship UPS, which is still allot cheaper then what the airlines charge. I have a Crateworks case which I have no complaints about, and It's just within the fedex ground size limit.

When I shipped my bike from Austin to Moab it cost about $30 bucks there and maybe $40 back and thats with 2k in insurance.
    TEX

Neg reppers r my biatches
    Quote Originally Posted by texas
    Fedex ground is generally the cheapest way to ship your bike (although the Trico Iron case is too large to ship fedex). If you have a Trico you have to ship UPS, which is still allot cheaper then what the airlines charge. I have a Crateworks case which I have no complaints about, and It's just within the fedex ground size limit.

When I shipped my bike from Austin to Moab it cost about $30 bucks there and maybe $40 back and thats with 2k in insurance.
    indeed....WAY better to Fedex or UPS.....some FedEx places are cool though and you can send via FedEx a Trico Ironcase. I am blessed to work at a company where i can ship using their rates of only $25 each way using 2 Day UPS.

hands up who wants to die
    I have a Trico and use Fedex Ground (cheaper and faster coast-to-coast than UPS Ground).

I can't help with airlines, except to note that Jetblue doesn't allow large boxes like the Trico, so you really can't take your bike unless it's a BMX or it folds in half.
    In every other way except SIZE, Jetblue has very nice baggage rules: three 70-lb checked bags.

-r
    The server is too busy at the moment. Please try again later.
    my mtb videos: http://vimeo.com/album/6861

markybrue
    Jan 2005

Where in colorado??

If you want to ship it! Send it to a bike shop and have them put it together for you or... I know someone here (or myself) can have it ready for a ride when you show up!!!

I live in loveland