mtbr member

Bike build recommendations

I am currently looking for recommendations on bike frames as I start a build as a surprise present for the wife. She is just getting in to mountain biking and I want something that will handle abuse as she developes as a rider. A little more info:

1. Femal rider- 5'5"
    2. Hardtail (might consider a 29er or a full suspension if I can find one for the right price...she will not be riding anything to start with that will warrant a FS frame but it might be worth it to start with FS frame that I could lock the rear out during her beginning months and then open up when she has developed a little bit more....instead of having to buy a whole new frame).
    3. I am not worried as much about frame weight, would rather it be strong then lite.

At this point, that is about it.

Any recommendations or advice would be greatly appreciated.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    if your wife is tough go with the HT it is lighter and cheaper to builed' but if not go with the FS it will be much more comfortable for her to ride which will encourage her to ride more. good luck

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Some more info might help. What does she ride now? What's the budget? What are trails like where you ride? Why do you want to build a bike bike? Do you want steel , ti ,al or carbon.? Cross country, down hill,all mountain,dirt jump ,bike path? Does she have any idea what she might like in a bike?

mtbr member
    She does not currently ride anything besides a road bike. She has no idea what she would want in a bike so I am trying to put one together based on what I think she would like. The bike with be used for XC type trails, AM perhaps later but that is way down the road. I was thinking either steel or aluminum. I would like to have the complete build done for around $700-$1000.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I am about her same height and I would recommend a 650b or 26" set up rather than a 29er. My Kona 29er is great in open/flowy trails but the short wheelbase and large wheels don't respond well (atleast for my style) in the more technical terrain. You can get a carbon chinese frame on ebay for $370 shipped to your house.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Triaxtremec View Post
    I am about her same height and I would recommend a 650b or 26" set up rather than a 29er. My Kona 29er is great in open/flowy trails but the short wheelbase and large wheels don't respond well (atleast for my style) in the more technical terrain. You can get a carbon chinese frame on ebay for $370 shipped to your house.
    Thanks, I was leaning towards a 26" set up for that reason.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    For 700 - 1000 you could find something used in good shape. Do any shops in your area do demos? Do you know anyone you could borrow a bike from? Starting with a bunch of guesses could lead to something that she won't like.With something used a least you could resell it. Building bikes from parts can get pricey quick. Frame ,fork ,and wheels could well over 1000$

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I did this for 1000.00 for my wife she is also getting into mtb. today was her first ride, so far so good !!Bike build recommendations-titus-bike.jpg

mtbr member
    I am definitely checking the my LBSs for demos and used bikes as well as craigslist. What i really need is recommendations on frames. Any lady riders out there? Or dudes, what does your woman ride?. My build will be a mix of new and used parts so i should be able to keep to my budget.

mtbr member
    Any lady riders out there? What frames are you girls rolling on these days? Or dudes, what does your wife ride?