mtbr member
    May 2008

Bike Build - How much grease?

I'm putting together my bike and was wondering how much polylube and where people use it. Do you put it on the seat tube, steerer tube and crank arm spindle?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Well seeing how the crank arm spindle ( I assume your talking about the shaft between the two crank arms, that goes through the bottom bracket). and the steerer tube dont actually touch anything, NO. Now you could put a very light coat where it passes through the bearings, but thats it. I would lubricate the bearings, on both and thats all. As for the seat tube, you could smear a very light coat on that if you wanted to.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bank5 View Post
    I'm putting together my bike and was wondering how much polylube and where people use it. Do you put it on the seat tube, steerer tube and crank arm spindle?
    You can and should grease anything that touches something else....prevents salt and crap...unless of course you are using threadlock....or brakes...the exception list is pretty small.

on the other hand when you are done....there should be no visible grease to attract dust and dirt...

My LBS recommended a little grease on the steerer where it contacts the bearings to avoid potential seizing issues in the future. My Shimano BB actually came with a ring of grease pre-applied where it contacts the crank spindle. I have seen galvanic corrosion on aluminum handlebars from excessively sweaty riders, so a tiny bit underneath shifters, brake levers, and grip lockrings might be good if that's a problem for you. Friction paste on carbon parts.

All bolts that are not locktighted get a little grease or anti-seize on the threads for the same reason.

It doesn't take much. Definitely nothing visible when you're done.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Most places on the bike where you'd use grease you're better off using anti-seize instead.

Plays with tools
    Anti seize for anything that threads grease for anything that slides. Notable exception would be that Ti parts need anti seize regardless.