mtbr member
    May 2013

BH Emotion Neo Jumper great bike bought from poor dealer...

Received May 23. Bought from ElectricCyclery (DO NOT buy from these folks!) Laguna, California for $4460 shipped (Neo Jumper + 2 Batteries + Renthal Bars installed). Box was intact with a few black skid marks here and there. No holes or crushing. Unboxed all looked well, except one bolt missing from front caliper, two bent front spokes, both wheels wobble when spun, front more pronounced than rear, front brake disc bent, 2-3/8 Riser handlebars that I had Kevin with ElectricCyclery install on his recommendation would not fit the 31.8mm steering stem as the bars were only 25mm (They installed the bars and didn't even bother with checking to see if they fit the stem?), no bushings to install either, two bushings included thin and looked to be for 26mm bars. Kevin says that he will send the bolts, no response on ANY of the other items…just silence…we all know what that means…but I emailed Joe Marcoux @ BH Emotion USA the same emails…
    Now for the assembly, I dug through all my adapters, bushings, acc's and came up with some bushings from and Adam Trail-A-Bike that would allow install of the handlebars. straighten front disc as much as possible utilizing my wife's marble island and a piece of thick glass, and got it truer somewhat, still squeaks each revolution…
    Now for the battery, bought two 36V 9AH so I could change and charge between rides…charger is top of the line compared the Prodeco's cheap shite…both batteries took several hours to charge fully, but after using both they are very equal over a 8 mile ride each…dropped two bars which is half charge…standard PA setting…
    Now for the ride, shocks required air I weigh 180 with 8 lbs additional racks/acc's…so 160 rear and 100 in front…not bad but front seems harsh, will lower to 90 and try that, rear is a little soft, but going to leave it there if i don't bottom out…
    Trails…I am a beginner, but have rode the Prodeco Phantom on trails, and let me just say the Neo Jumper is like riding a Cadillac compared to Prodeco Phantom and it should be, hydraulic brakes on the Neo Jumper "rock" to say the least…the 30 speed Shimano is over kill but in rock garden trails it's a life saver, amazed at how light this bike is and the handling…can ride easily with just gearing alone, unlike the Prodeco that I have ran out of battery twice and literally had to stop and rest to ride the big pig up a hill due to gearing to high…
    BH Emotion: 4 Stars
    ElectricCyclery: 1 Star

All in all the Neo Jumper states that there are good things to come in full suspension MTB's…but bring your wallet and use a reputable dealer…ElectricCyclery is not one folks, the reviews tell all…they are ignoring my emails now and not responding with ANY service after the sell…ripoff comes to mind...

High Desert MTBer
    ... like I said... VOODOO!!!
    It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Two words for Elec MTB's….they rock!...

Big Mac

Two words for people who rock electric mtb's. "absolute freaking moronic dim wits". Sound familiar?

mtbr member

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmb65 View Post
    Two words for people who rock electric mtb's. "absolute freaking moronic dim wits". Sound familiar?
    How can you say that in ALL honesty and never ridden one?…lol…your statement is an oxymoron and a lie of the worst kind...

Some folks have limitations like bad knees, backs, etc and can't ride a standard bike easily…an MTB ebike makes ALL the sense in the world...

Big Mac

Quote Originally Posted by LTZ470 View Post
    How can you say that in ALL honesty and never ridden one?…lol…your statement is an oxymoron and a lie of the worst kind...

Some folks have limitations like bad knees, backs, etc and can't ride a standard bike easily…an MTB ebike makes ALL the sense in the world...
    "Oxymoron" you say? Motorized vehicles are not allowed on many public lands. You're better off posting this on a moto site, as that is what you have, an electric moto. Why electric over gas, anyway? I'm sorry about your "limitations".

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Electric vs Gas = Elec = extremely quite…Gas = NOISY...
    Two knee surgeries right and left, and common sense…I could never have made the rides in Dinosaur Valley State Park without electric…I really had a great time, the other great thing was when I did have to get off and walk I could use the throttle to "push" the bike along helping me walk...

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by 006_007 View Post
    Caught him!...

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Photos from Dinosaur Valley State Park, Glen Rose, Texas...great riding trails, swimming, hiking, family oriented...
    Dinosaur Valley State Park Biking - acwilli's Photos

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmb65 View Post
    "Oxymoron" you say? Motorized vehicles are not allowed on many public lands. You're better off posting this on a moto site, as that is what you have, an electric moto. Why electric over gas, anyway? I'm sorry about your "limitations".
    An e-bike is as much a motorcycle as a golf cart is a baja rally truck.

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    The U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) Code of Motor Vehicle Safety states that electric bicycles and tricycles meeting the definition of low-speed electric bicycles will be considered consumer products to be regulated by the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) in the same manner as ordinary bicycles, and are not considered motor vehicles under U.S. DOT and NHTSA regulations.[28][29]

In conformance with legislation adopted by the U.S. Congress defining this category of electric-power bicycle (15 U.S.C. 2085(b)), CPSC rules stipulate that low speed electric bicycles[30] (to include two- and three-wheel vehicles) are exempt from classification as motor vehicles providing they have fully operable pedals, an electric motor of less than 750W (1 hp), and a top motor-powered speed of less than 20 miles per hour (32 km/h) when operated by a rider weighing 170 pounds.[31] An electric bike remaining within these specifications will be regarded simply as a bicycle for purposes of federal law. Commercially manufactured e-bikes exceeding these power and speed limits are regulated by the federal DOT and NHTSA as motor vehicles, and must meet additional safety requirements. However, such requirements do not apply to e-bikes assembled from parts or kits by an individual. The use of home-built or kit-assembled e-bikes are instead governed by state and local laws, as federal law does not preempt state and local jurisdictions from enacting their own laws governing the operation of such vehicles on public streets and roadways.[32] The legislation enacting this amendment to the CPSC is also known as HR 727.[33]

Where federal funds have been used in the construction of bicycle or pedestrian paths, electric bicycles (defined as "any bicycle or tricycle with a low-powered electric motor weighing under 100 pounds, with a top motor-powered speed not in excess of 20 miles per hour" (23 U.S.C. § 217(j)(2)) ) are permitted unless state or local regulations prohibit. Title 23, U.S. Code § 217(h)(4).[34]
    The BH Emotion Neo Jumper has a 350W motor. It's still very much a "bicycle."

More information here:

electric bikes on wa trails?

mtbr member
    It's a moped.

mtbr member

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by SteveF View Post
    It's a moped.
    That is correct. Especially if you're talking about California's laws.

Here in California, the Neo Jumper still doesn't make anywhere near the power or speed to require any licensing and typically is legal to ride where most bicycles are on public lands.

That being said, there is a very distinct difference between a "motorized bicycle" which includes e-bikes and some mopeds and "motor vehicles" which includes motorcycles and cars.

Usually, if I ever encounter any "no motorized vehicle" signs, I'll look up the law or code cited at the bottom of the sign to see if it does apply to e-bikes. They almost always apply to motorized vehicles requiring licensing of some sort OR any gasoline powered bicycle.

The Orange County Metrolink makes a similar distinction. Motorized bicycles are allowed, but they have to be electric for obvious reasons.