mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Beware!!-All drivers read this before you gas up!!!!!

Fellas!!!
    I might be late knowing this,but I just learned about devices being installed at or in gas pumps by thieves to steal
    credit card info!!!
    Identity Theft at Fuel Pump Credit Card Processing Terminals - TopTenREVIEWS

Thieves are targeting people by installing devices INSIDE and Around gas pumps!!! I even heard people can scan cards while they are in your pocket!!
    Take precaution.Pay inside at the window when you gas up and cover your cards with a protective layer of some sort when you carry them.
    Be careful guys.Just being concerned.Take care.
    Z
    i have more than you.
    ...because i have me and you.

zarr

Nice day for a ride.....
    Scumbags...... This is why I have a credit card with a $200 limit. Use it for purchases instead of a debit card, pay it off every week so no interest accumulates. If they do get my info and I can't get my money back I'm only out $200. Going on mountain bike rides every weekend takes me to some unfamiliar gas stations sometimes. Better safe then sorry I say.
    2011 Cannondale SL4 29er
    2012 Norco CCX3
    2014 Nashbar Fatbike

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Deez scumbubbles got all kinds od riff-raff going on nowadays.
    And if you get pullled over by a unmarked car, call the police and head for the busiest place you can find...hopefully near a police station with the horn blowing signal tones.
    i have more than you.

zarr

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    5ish years ago it happened to me at a gas station. Took a month to get back my money.
    Last year when I lived in AZ they caught a couple who had one of those pocket scanners who would walk around malls stealing card info.
    So now I too have a super low limit card I carry around
    Just some yahoo on a Wahoo

Front Range, Colorado
    Yeah ^^^ as he said the crooked bastards have been using this technology for several years. I was for awhile very careful about going inside and not ever letting my card out of my sight. But I got lazy and went back to my old school ways. But thanks OP for bringing back to the spotlight. I will get back. to being careful. One of their techniques is when you pay at a nice restaurant at the table. The waiter or waitress walks away with your card. It only takes a second to scan it and they have it for 5 or 10 minutes. The sad part is you end up giving them a good tip none the wiser.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^^^^Rock Garden

mtbr member
    Be careful! It happened to one of my friends!

Beware!!-All drivers read this before you gas up!!!!!-xlarge_6bf0c4bd9ae7cd0d14e8d55652d10712.jpg

pretty sure it's happened to me before, too. my bank has been good and I have not lost any money from it. I also watch my accounts like a hawk so I've seen suspicious items show up and identified them as sketchy before my bank has. it happens at ATM's, too, as the minifig picture illustrates. I only use ATM's in highly visible and secure locations. no outdoor ATM's for me.

I don't have an RFID chip in any of my cards, so my card has to physically be swiped in order to get any info from it. If you have RFID chips in any of your cards, you can get RFID blocking wallets and whatnot so they cannot be scanned from your pocket or anything like that. I have an RFID blocking wallet for my passport because there's an RFID chip in there. And even though it doesn't have my financial information on it, I still don't want anyone to have that information that isn't supposed to. That is for airport security and customs officials and that's about it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Good info thanks. We put alerts on our cards, and now within minutes of using our cards we get a text, time , place , amount.
    This after someone got my card info and it was used for $2200.00 in Brazil, in one day.
    Stinking thieves!

mtbr member

Re: Beware!!-All drivers read this before you gas up!!!!!

There even using Bluetooth to pull info from cellphones. Do search about it. Stay safe peeps.

Quote Originally Posted by Chillout2010 View Post
    There even using Bluetooth to pull info from cellphones. Do search about it. Stay safe peeps.
    If your phone is not always discoverable then this shouldn't be a problem. Basic electronics security. Also helps if you don't have a smartphone that you are tempted to put financial info on.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    If your phone is not always discoverable then this shouldn't be a problem. Basic electronics security. Also helps if you don't have a smartphone that you are tempted to put financial info on.
    I agree but I keep mine on since my vehicle is Bluetooth enabled and it auto connects when I get in the car. I guess it's laziness but I'd rather not have to turn it off everything I get out of the car. Guess it's just more of a reason to be cautious of my surroundings.

Quote Originally Posted by Chillout2010 View Post
    I agree but I keep mine on since my vehicle is Bluetooth enabled and it auto connects when I get in the car. I guess it's laziness but I'd rather not have to turn it off everything I get out of the car. Guess it's just more of a reason to be cautious of my surroundings.
    That is like doing sensitive banking over unprotected public wifi in a busy urban area overseas. You might not have trouble for the longest time or you might get scammed on the spot. There aren't too many thieves with that tech but they are out there and if you are not careful you will get had at some point.

My home wifi is even locked down. My computer is currently behind two locked down routers. The second with MAC filtering.

mtbr member

I'm pretty tech savy so I keep my stuff on lock too. I just don't turn off my Bluetooth feature on my phone. Im not overly worried because I don't keep banking info on my phone. I don't even store passwords other then forum passwords through tapatalk. I was just warning others with my post about the cellphones.

fly on the wall
    Nov 2010
    There have been two instances where my bank mailed me a new credit card, with a letter attached saying I'm getting the new one because they believed my previous card had been compromised. I keep a regular eye on my account activity, and never saw any suspicious charges before they sent me a new card.

Thanks for the warning about the gas pumps, although I'm curious how crooks can install a swiper inside the gas pump. Gas stations are usually brightly lit, with cameras covering every angle. You'd think any extended activity would be hard to hide.

But I'm glad a few people have brought up the issue with phones. I don't know how things work for Apple, but for Android users, free apps always come with Permissions that you have to allow. They are all spelled out clearly, and many (too many) want you to allow them to read all sorts of private user data on your phone. Some apps need this to function legitimately, but others really don't, and yet still ask for it. Makes me wary.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikin' Bric View Post
    Scumbags...... This is why I have a credit card with a $200 limit. Use it for purchases instead of a debit card, pay it off every week so no interest accumulates. If they do get my info and I can't get my money back I'm only out $200. Going on mountain bike rides every weekend takes me to some unfamiliar gas stations sometimes. Better safe then sorry I say.
    By law, you are only liable for the first $50 if your credit card or card info is stolen. And most banks will waive this fee. (So when you get those annoying "suspicious activity" calls like I do when my wife is shopping at the same supermarket she's shopped in for the last 10 years, know that they're protecting THEIR @sses not yours).

Debit cards don't provide much protection, for this reason alone I've never owned one.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtyjack View Post
    By law, you are only liable for the first $50 if your credit card or card info is stolen. And most banks will waive this fee. (So when you get those annoying "suspicious activity" calls like I do when my wife is shopping at the same supermarket she's shopped in for the last 10 years, know that they're protecting THEIR @sses not yours).

Debit cards don't provide much protection, for this reason alone I've never owned one.
    mmmm.
    ...good one.
    i have more than you.

zarr