mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Best Workout?- Rollers Vs. Spin Bike

OK. Title says it all. Can anyone tell me what you think is the best cardio workout between these two? I want to do cardio workouts in my house over the winter and would like some feedback from anyone who actually knows the difference between these two and can give me a comparison. I do realize that the advantage of rollers is better cadence, and a smoother pedal stroke. Also, if you road race you'll have a huge improvement on bike control when within a close pack of riders. However, the site below was of some interest to me since you can burn well over 500 calories within 1/2 half hour on a spin bike. Remember, I want the best cardio workout.
    http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/healt...y-burn-289775/

I like Monkeys
    You'll get the best workout on a spin bike or a trainer. But in my case I get a better workout on rollers because I'll actually ride them. I get bored riding on the trainer or spin bike and just won't do it very often if at all. At least on the rollers my mind is occupied and I don't get as bored so I tend to do it more often. Even if you aren't consciously thinking about something your mind is busy keeping you upright. YMMV
    What do I want to be when I grow up.....Dead!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    What does the wear on the tires amount to? Is it significant or minimal? Being a novice at this... What size rollers should I lean towards and do you have a particular brand in mind? Also, I've been told to steer towards the aluminum rollers vs. the pvc which makes sense to me.

the unvarnished nonsense
    Fluid trainer over the rollers. I've got both. Both are more boring than watching cycling on TV (which is about as boring as watching a television that is turned off). Good luck.
    "Sufficient to have stood, yet free to fall."
    -John Milton, Paradise Lost

The Notorious S.L.O
    one benefit of rollers, that you have to work on your balance skills a well.
    Stationary traniers don't require that.
    BT
    11 Trek Hifi Delux 23in
    05 Giant NRS 22.5in
    Evergreen Co.
    "All I need is.......two wheels and the truth."

Probably drunk right now

Different devices for different purposes...

Rollers work on form and a little fitness.
    Spin bikes or stationary bikes work on fitness with little regard for form.

So my opinion, based on your post and the fact that you know the difference between the two training devices is the spin bike.

The Notorious S.L.O
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken in KC
    Rollers work on form and a little fitness.
    Spin bikes or stationary bikes work on fitness with little regard for form.
    yeah, that's what I meant.
    BT
    11 Trek Hifi Delux 23in
    05 Giant NRS 22.5in
    Evergreen Co.
    "All I need is.......two wheels and the truth."

Legend
    Nov 2004
    rollers with resistance units: best of both worlds.

Another vote for rollers with a resistance unit. I'm lucky I can ride year round, discovered I really hate sweating on a bike indoors whatsoever (pssst...I've got a set of Kreitlers I don't use any more...)
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by VaughnA
    But in my case I get a better workout on rollers because I'll actually ride them. I get bored riding on the trainer or spin bike and just won't do it very often if at all.
    You get the best workout on something that you'll use. If you don't feel comfortable on a spin bike, then you won't use it and you won't get a workout at all. Just like you need a bike that fits you and is comfortable for the trail/road, you need an exercise that you are comfortable doing and will use. For this reason I choose to bike instead of run/jog. I absolutely hate jogging, so why would I go buy a pair of running shoes? It's the same thing with a spin bike or rollers. Figure out what feels better to you and what you will acutally use and then go from there.

Tough Guy Extraordinaire
    Yet another vote for rollers with resistance. I have Kreitlers. Did a bunch of research and found that they were one of the better brands, although they aren't cheap.

I rode them with my roadie, this may be key to your enjoyment, for a year and pretty quickly realized it was tough for me to keep my HR where I wanted it. I did some more research and added their fan option. Basically now I have the best of both types of trainers. It rules! I can get a solid workout and not go insane!

Suck it up and spend the money, you won't be sorry!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Yep. Thanks FJ29er. THAT makes perfect sense. I feel like the spin bike would be an incredible sweat/workout. Whereas the rollers would improve cadence and balance and of course... give you a decent workout as well. In a perfect world, I'd really love to own both.

Tough Guy Extraordinaire
    It may also be worth you while to do a search on spinning or pin bikes in the XC Forum. I think I saw something a while ago about the shorter cranks on spin bikes being bad for training fo cycleing. Don't kill the messenger on this one, just something I read in another forum!

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    have the trainer and rollers but use neither very often, riding indoors just isnt any fun to me, i just suck it up, dress for the cold and off i go. There is always some place to ride...roads when the trails are muddy and wet, or trails when dry, frozen, or snow packed.

mtbr member
    I like Spin bikes. I have done a bunch of spin classes and I think they are really fun, I think they are part of the reason I can come out of a bad winter and be fast in March. You can pretty much go as hard as you want on one and you will not tip over, so for a cardio workout I would give it to the spin bike. It is great that you can stand and hammer all you want on a spin bike. I think going to classes so you are with other people is motivating and really helps.

Rollers are good training tools. They have a bit of a learning curve and it is tough to go really easy on them as well are really hard. Standing is a bit of a trick as well. You are allot more involved in the riding process on rollers and that is more fun. But I always found them a bit mentally draining and was never able to spend big hours on rollers and I can spend far too many hours on a trainer.

But doing spin classes is sweet, it may seem weird at first but trust me. Fun.