mtbr member
    May 2008

Best way to sell high end bikes?

What do you think is the best way to sell a high end bike?

I'm planning to sell a bike and considering eBay auction, eBay buy it now, mtbr classifieds, or pinkbike?
    Last edited by bank5; 06-15-2014 at 08:27 PM.

The White Jeff W
    I try to sell locally first so I dont have to pack & ship. Craigslist and a buy/sell bike stuff page on facebook that's for our region are usually my starting point. If that fails MTBR classifieds come next. After that - ebay. Just make sure you take auction and paypal fees into account.
    No moss...

> /dev/null 2&>1

Re: Best way to sell high end bikes?

What Jeff said. Also don't sell a bike between August and April 15th.

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Ebay has the widest overall audience for your bike - but the high seller fees and cost of transacting through PayPal will KILL any potential profits you make. Pinkbike, Craigslist and MTBR or a local regional cycling classified site are much better options.
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

It's about showing up.
    Of the dozen bikes I've sold only one has been out of state, the rest locally. However, the SF Bay area is a large market which is an advantage.
    I don't rattle.

mtbr member
    Local/craigs/facebook.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

I like bikes.
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffw-13 View Post
    I try to sell locally first so I dont have to pack & ship. Craigslist and a buy/sell bike stuff page on facebook that's for our region are usually my starting point. If that fails MTBR classifieds come next. After that - ebay. Just make sure you take auction and paypal fees into account.
    Ebay 10% Plus Paypal..another 3% = 13% total on all monies received. Then you have to pay for shipping the item(s)
    Sometimes it's cheaper to send 2 packages vs one oversized.

Quote Originally Posted by ddprocter View Post
    What Jeff said. Also don't sell a bike between August and April 15th.
    lol, so only try to sell bike 3.5mo of the year? Really? I understand for pricewise, but people will literally by ice in Antarctica these days!.haha

I rarely sell locally. Too many cheap asses and time wasters in the Albany, NY area. I can generally double my money even after the 13% fees and shipping selling online!!!

Had a CL response the other day asking about a part I usually get $100 Plus shipping for on Ebay($120 total). I told buyer $40 and he said no thanks..lol Cheap ass drives a Caddy and can't spend $40 to pass NYS inspection.
    Karakoram...ZS44, X-Fusion, Freq i23, Tioga's, Shadow & XT,Shim Hydro 180/160, MG-1 pedals & more.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Your local Mountain Bike Association, if present, is likely to have a classifieds section as part of their forums.

SPECIALizED
    Dec 2010
    I've sold 3 on Pinkbike and they all sold within a week.

> /dev/null 2&>1

Re: Best way to sell high end bikes?

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtydogg View Post
    lol, so only try to sell bike 3.5mo of the year? Really? I understand for pricewise, but people will literally by ice in Antarctica these days!.haha
    Anyone is welcome to try, you'll just make a lot less.

Late summer into fall, you're selling a high end bike when last year's new bikes, and demos and park rentals are all going on sale and you are competing with huge deals. Even if your bike is selling for less than those, people do a mental calculus : "well, sh1t, I could get a brand new one for only $x more..."

Into winter, far fewer buyers are looking for bikes unless you live in a year round riding spot like Arizona and are selling locally. There are mtbr threads this time of year from sellers wondering why the hell their bike isn't selling at a fair price.

After Xmas everyone is broke.

Into Mar, everyone is waiting to see what they'll get back on their taxes.

I rarely sell locally. Too many cheap asses and time wasters in the Albany, NY area. I can generally double my money even after the 13% fees and shipping selling online!!!
    Actually I'd agree, eBay can be really lucrative and broaden your audience, increasing the selling price enough to make up for the fees. I had an older stumpjumper with a lot of recent maintenance and upgrades that wasn't selling on CL because there were too many competing bikes in the bay area bringing it down. I got a good fair bike blue book price on it on eBay which I never would have gotten locally.

If selling on eBay, I recommend fixed price with best offer. Auction can be hit and miss and people don't know how to use them, ie if you end your auction at 4am on a Wednesday night, good luck!

Also, in mid to low range bikes where shipping is high relative to the cost of the bike, use calculated shipping, where the buyer pays their actual shipping cost at checkout. The shipping can vary dramatically by distance for large boxes.

Also when selling online, packing material can really eat into your profit margins so try to accumulate packing materials over time so that your don't have to go buy a bunch of bubbles and foam.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Part it out, shipping an entire bike is extremely spendy. Frame not bad as long as you find a smaller box and the frame isn't XL. You can usually get boxes from your l.b.s. for free. Wheel box, fork box, etc.

Front Range, Colorado
    This whole thread is SPAM to get a bite on selling a bike. Hello!
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^Rock Garden
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

Elitest thrill junkie
    The best way is to forget how much you paid for it and just try to make someone happy.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Try buying an ad at MTBR.com instead of spamming MTBR.com.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 SC Nickel LT
    Incoming: 2008 Lotus Exige S 240
    '12 Toy FJ TT
    '05 Cooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

Ohh Gnarly!!
    Are people even buying 29er's anymore?

I start with local club classifieds for all bike stuff. Craigslist in my area has a huge clutter to quality ratio, so I avoid it when I can. But I do know a guy who does all his business there. He restores old bikes and sells them on the local C-list. He brings at least one into the shop every week. Lots of beautiful bikes. He definitely doesn't make much of a living on it...he's told me that sometimes he takes a loss on the bikes. He must just enjoy cleaning up those beautiful classics. Italian guy, with a penchant for classic Italian steel.

When buying, if I don't find what I'm after on the local classifieds, I hit the mtbr classifieds. Got my wife a really high end bike for a great price last year. I haven't needed to move past the local classifieds for awhile now, but ebay is also a last resort for me.

mtbr member
    It's impossible. I have a frameset on Craigs, Facebook, pinkbike, etc. And have gotten like 1 - 2 communications... The struggle is real :-(

Posted via mobile

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I appreciate the replies -- even though I got some neg rep for spam . Since my original post, I sold 2 bikes, a frame-set, wheels, and a bunch of components. Here is my experience:

Pinkbike:
    Worked great for components. Most sellers responded very quickly.

However, for my high end bike, one buyer took me through an elaborate scam. I caught it before I was affected by it, but it was a huge waste of time and was pretty sketchy.

MTBR Classifieds:
    I didn't get a lot of hits. I'm sure others have had better experience.

Craigslist:
    This was my favorite way to sell things. However, with the high end bike there were a lot of people who would come to check it out but not know anything about it. I immediately knew they were just looking for a desperate seller and weren't going to buy the bike unless I needed cash on the spot.

Friend:
    In the end, I let my buddy who was interested in trying mountain biking borrow it for the season. He knew I was thinking about selling it and said he would buy it after using it's for a couple months. He said he would have paid more, but I gave him a great deal.

My lessons learned are that I'm not going to sell high end things online (too many scammers to bother with) and giving things away or selling them at a great discount to friends and family is most likely the best option.

mtbr member
    Ebay has worked well for me. I'd rather pay the fees, pack and ship than deal with a bunch of idiots.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 SC Nickel LT
    Incoming: 2008 Lotus Exige S 240
    '12 Toy FJ TT
    '05 Cooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Cycle Shawn View Post
    Ebay has worked well for me. I'd rather pay the fees, pack and ship than deal with a bunch of idiots.
    Hey, eBay also has it's share of idiots too. Last carbon wheelset I sold - the nit- picking buyer wanted a $50 refund, due to a minutely bent spoke....or he was going to leave me bad feedback. I know for damn sure he pocketed the cash, because the wheel was still straight as an arrow.....fockers

MTBR Classifieds gets NO INTEREST....unless the bike or parts are nearly free.
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"