Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Best way to dispose of dead deer by natural means?

I maintain some bike trials and found a dead deer on some the single track. It is too far back to carry out, so have to dispose of it best way where it is. I can push it down a hill 50 feet or so, but that is about it.

I heard that if one applies lime powder to the carcass it will help the decomposition. If this true? If so, should I let the raccoons eat some of it for a few days and then apply the lime or do the lime thing right away?

The deer was pretty fresh. No odor at all, just flies laying eggs. It died in the last 24 hours or So. Do not know how it died.

Thanks

Nice no rass
    Lime will help it decompose faster and keep the smell down. Make it smell better? Not by much. Moving it 50'? Ain't gonna help the smell much. That stench carries a LONG way.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Too Rass Goat
    Lime will help it decompose faster and keep the smell down. Make it smell better? Not by much. Moving it 50'? Ain't gonna help the smell much. That stench carries a LONG way.

I know about the smell...they reek.

Wonder if I put lime on it then put a little layer of earth over the lime covering? I can't do too much since it is on a hill, but could try to dig up some dirt nearby.

MTBiker
    Oct 2006
    Lysol...."kills 99.9% of odor causing bacteria!"

I'd just push it away from the trail and let nature work. I've seen the maggots and ants take care of an entire deer in a very short period of time.

It's about showing up.

Take it to CalTrans

they have a special place in Saratoga just for this purpose.

Elitest thrill junkie
    maggots.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Rub it............
    The best way would be to move it as far as you can from the trail. If you apply lime to the deer, then other animals who scavage it for a meal will get poisoned by the lime.

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Quote Originally Posted by w1000w
    I heard that if one applies lime powder to the carcass it will help the decomposition.
    If you are going to add lime then don't forget the salt.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by frdfandc
    The best way would be to move it as far as you can from the trail. If you apply lime to the deer, then other animals who scavage it for a meal will get poisoned by the lime.

Yes, good point to remember.

I also heard about composting them under bark. I could try to buy a bag of bark and break the bag down and make multiple trips to try to cover it up with the backpacks of bark.

We get tons of dead deer and raccoon here. When a road kill starts to decompose you have to shut your nostrils for a long time and just can't breath at all. Then you gently test the air to see if you can breath again after you drive a long enough distance to bring in some fresh air in the car.

Tough business to deal with. Imagine disposing of a dead cow? I smell a few dead things now and again on the trails, but they are far enough away to not see and just get a whiff.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    I maintain some bike trials and found a dead deer on some the single track. It is too far back to carry out, so have to dispose of it best way where it is. I can push it down a hill 50 feet or so, but that is about it.

I heard that if one applies lime powder to the carcass it will help the decomposition. If this true? If so, should I let the raccoons eat some of it for a few days and then apply the lime or do the lime thing right away?

The deer was pretty fresh. No odor at all, just flies laying eggs. It died in the last 24 hours or So. Do not know how it died.

Thanks
    Cougars, vultures, coyotes and crows.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Trying a little
    bring a hibachi and some hungry friends?

I never apologize. I'm sorry, but that's just the way I am.

Flaccid Member
    Let nature run it's course and don't interfere, predators will do their job in short order. That smell of carrion is a magnet for coyotes, and leaving it in the open is an invitation to the turkey buzzards that a meal awaits them if they'll just fly down for a nibble.
    "i'll brazilian when YOU do boy, right around the ol' rusty star. Actually, whole fruit bowl. Get on it!" NicoleB

mtbr member

Well if you were in jamaica...

you would take 2 old tirea and place it over the carcass and put some accelerant on it and light it. 2 hours later you would not find anything but the cords from the tires.

mtbr member
    I don't know, but I smell quite a few during my rides

vz1
    mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    They are not predators if its already dead.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vz1
    They are not predators if its already dead.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    The things you see when you don't have a knike and fork, huh?

Actually, just let nature take it's course. Scavengers, insects, and bacteria will make short work of it although it will reek for a few days at least. It will probably be best to get it as far from the trail as possible though, not just for the smell, but it will attract a crowd looking for a meal and scavengers protecting a carcass can be pretty aggresive

GAME ON!
    roll it up in a carpet and throw it off a bridge!
    RIP Adam Yauch

"M.C. for what I AM and do, the A is for Adam and the lyrics; true"

Live fast. die younG.
    Is it really that big of a deal? As has been said...Just let nature run it's course. This isn't your front yard, it's a trail in the woods. Drag the deer off as far as you can manage, and then give it a couple of weeks. It's not like the smell is going to kill you or anything. Mother nature is better at this sort of thing than you are, so just let her handle it.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    roll it up in a carpet and throw it off a bridge!
    Maybe some concrete overshoes?

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Imagine disposing of a dead cow? I smell a few dead things now and again on the trails, but they are far enough away to not see and just get a whiff.
    Fantasy Island in Tucson, AZ had a cow die about 10" off the trail. That event begat the name Dead Cow Loop. I remember the stench lasting for about a year. It was pretty awful, enough that I'd have to shower to stop smelling the odor.

Big Boned
    Never rub another man's rhubarb.

rbtm member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat
    Fantasy Island in Tucson, AZ had a cow die about 10" off the trail...
    Ever see This is Spinal Tap?
    [SIZE=1]"The mouth of justice contemplates wisdom."[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Please retitle "How to dispose of dead bodies in the woods."

If you can't handle the smell, bury the thing, no lye needed. I used to raise 2 or 3 sheep a year to eat for food, and had to bury the inedibles after slaughter. As little as 4-5 inches of soil cover should do it, but then the trick will be making sure it doesn't get dug up.

Perhaps one could ask an ecofriendly mobster whether lye would poison scavengers or repel them.

And as long as you have got a shoval out there on the trail, how about adding a jump or two?

PULL
    Quote Originally Posted by Berkeley Mike
    they have a special place in Saratoga just for this purpose.
    maybe if he lived in california..... but he doesn't

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast