mtbr member

Best time to buy a bike?

So I've heard that April is the best time since that is when they will drop prices in the previous year models to get rid of them or what not.... Have you guys seen this to be true?

In dog years, I'm dead.
    I think late fall to early winter is better, before all the best ones are picked over. You might still find something in April, but it's usually stuff nobody else wants for a good reason.
    Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might.... (Ecclesiastes 9:10)

Dropshot Champ!
    from the best deal you can find in the used market....any time of year

mtbr member
    I agree with Burtronix - April is too late. Oh, you may find some screaming deals, but you'll be limited in your choices. Sometimes it pays off - I just (March) got a 2012 Cannondale Scalpel Carbon 1 for $2,500+ off MSRP. It was one of 9 left in the US. And all 9 of those were XLs... my size.

The other two bikes I was considering along with the Scalpel were all gone - the 2012s
    Mountain bikers who don't road ride are usually slow.
    Roadies who don't mountain bike are usually d***s.

thread crapper
    Feb 2008
    Late summer to early winter is best. That's when the new models come out and the previous year models are being cleared out.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    New to the scene, but I'm assuming bicycles are like cars? In the sense that next year's cars come out mid-year. My buddy called the LBS looking for a 12 trek mamba, of course they didn't have any and also said they will be getting the 2014 bikes in soon.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    The best time to buy is when you need a new one cause your old bike is broken.

mtbr member
    I'd say the best time is in the morning, so you can go for a nice long ride on the new bike in the afternoon.
    my B+W landscape photos ....www.f45.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    The best time for me is right after my wife has balanced the checkbook and won't be looking at the account balance for a couple weeks. Gives me some time to think up a good excuse or make a comfy bed in the garage.
    Last edited by senorjax; 04-22-2013 at 07:31 AM. Reason: spelling

mtbr member
    I also agree with burt. By April, only the extreme sizes are left, if at all.

I like pie.
    Quote Originally Posted by husonfirst View Post
    I also agree with burt. By April, only the extreme sizes are left, if at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldZaskar View Post
    I agree with Burtronix - April is too late. Oh, you may find some screaming deals, but you'll be limited in your choices. Sometimes it pays off - I just (March) got a 2012 Cannondale Scalpel Carbon 1 for $2,500+ off MSRP. It was one of 9 left in the US. And all 9 of those were XLs... my size.

The other two bikes I was considering along with the Scalpel were all gone - the 2012s
    Quote Originally Posted by james035 View Post
    New to the scene, but I'm assuming bicycles are like cars? In the sense that next year's cars come out mid-year. My buddy called the LBS looking for a 12 trek mamba, of course they didn't have any and also said they will be getting the 2014 bikes in soon.
    As posted...

The best time to buy a bike is when you find one you like and they have it in your size.

Better to pay street price for the bike you want (in your size) than buy something on sale that doesn't quite fit you-